The Student Room Group

POLL: Would a gay or female Bond be right?

Poll

Would a gay/woman be acceptable as the next James Bond

Do you think it'd be right if the next James Bond was gay/female? Roger Moore thinks not: http://www.unilad.co.uk/movies/roger-moore-claims-a-gay-or-female-bond-wouldnt-be-right/

I'd say that I agree with him - the whole basis of the character is to sleep with women, so you're changing a fundamental aspect of the movie. If the gay person can act as a straight male, then yes, that's fine.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james.proctor
Do you think it'd be right if the next James Bond was gay/female? Roger Moore thinks not: http://www.unilad.co.uk/movies/roger-moore-claims-a-gay-or-female-bond-wouldnt-be-right/

I'd say that I agree with him - the whole basis of the character is to sleep with women, so you're changing a fundamental aspect of the movie. If the gay person can act as a straight male, then yes, that's fine.

I agree, its too much an important aspect of bond to be changed at this point
Reply 2
i female 007 NO

a gay 007 YES PLEASE
I'm sure plenty of teenage boys would love to see a hot female Bond sleeping with women.
Reply 4
Bond should never be black, brown, yellow red.Bond should never be a woman (what kind of woman would be called James anyway?). Bond should never be lgbt.
Verdict over.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
I'm sure plenty of teenage boys would love to see a hot female Bond sleeping with women.

But then that's not "James Bond" that's another movie with a female detective.
Reply 6
The books about James Bond were about a middle aged, tall, white British male. To change the book story by changing the character would deviate from it altogether. Have another film altogether with a gay or female agent. Just don't change what James Bond is suppose to be.

It's like superman. He has to be a strong, dark haired, tall, brown eyed white male with an American accent (Cavil modified his accent for that purpose). It's how it is. You don't change it. If you want a gay superman, create a new hero.

This is political correctness gone mad!
Original post by Gears265
The books about James Bond were about a middle aged, tall, white British male. To change the book story by changing the character would deviate from it altogether. Have another film altogether with a gay or female agent. Just don't change what James Bond is suppose to be.

It's like superman. He has to be a strong, dark haired, tall, brown eyed white male with an American accent (Cavil modified his accent for that purpose). It's how it is. You don't change it. If you want a gay superman, create a new hero.

This is political correctness gone mad!

You summed up what I was thinking nicely :smile:
I dont see the point of changing the character's sexual orientation/race/gender,whatever else just for the sake of being PC or whatever, its stupid and pointless. Bond is a white hetero male, end of story. You want a gay/female character, make another movie
Reply 9
Original post by saeed97
Bond should never be black, brown, yellow red.Bond should never be a woman (what kind of woman would be called James anyway?). Bond should never be lgbt.
Verdict over.

These do gooder liberals want a female James Bond. It's stupid why a female would be called James
Reply 10
The name's Bond. Jane Bond.

Nah.
Original post by driftawaay
I dont see the point of changing the character's sexual orientation/race/gender,whatever else just for the sake of being PC or whatever, its stupid and pointless. Bond is a white hetero male, end of story. You want a gay/female character, make another movie

This^

If these people want a gay or female agent then create one, don't hijack one we love and change for your (to the PC liberals) preferences. It's not an issue of sexism or homophobia, but rather the accurate presentation of a long desired character.
Reply 12
Original post by Gears265
These do gooder liberals want a female James Bond. It's stupid why a female would be called James

Its just the continuing faggotry of everything we know.
Reply 13
I think Bond should be a muslim man with a soft spot for bacon sandwiches
Original post by james.proctor
But then that's not "James Bond" that's another movie with a female detective.

Detective? Have you ever seen a James Bond film?

And no, James Bond shouldn't be a token gesture. It's much more potent a message if something is created for women, rather than just twisting something that's pre-existing.
Gay yeah, female now.

I don't see the problem with changing his race. Over the years he has changed his hair colour, height, build and accent.

Also his personality in general is way different in the films than the books.
Original post by SmashConcept
I don't see the problem with changing his race. Over the years he has changed his hair colour, height, build and accent.

Also his personality in general is way different in the films than the books.

I dont have a problem with him changing his race. The problem is when its calculated like 'OK there needs to be a black Bond now'. If he is black because they decided that that particular actor is best for the role, then yes he should be black, but this forced PC box ticking is annoying.
I dont have a problem with him changing his race. The problem is when its calculated like 'OK there needs to be a black Bond now'. If he is black because they decided that that particular actor is best for the role, then yes he should be black, but this forced PC box ticking is annoying.

Well yeah, I agree, but it's always going to be hard to tell whether they have him black (if and when they do) for the right reasons or not. Obviously Idris Elba is a very well regarded actor, but I don't know if that's justified because I've never seen anything with him in.
Original post by SmashConcept
Well yeah, I agree, but it's always going to be hard to tell whether they have him black (if and when they do) for the right reasons or not. Obviously Idris Elba is a very well regarded actor, but I don't know if that's justified because I've never seen anything with him in.

Oh at this point its definitely box ticking if they do cast a black actor since there has been so much talk of this lately. It just rubs me the wrong way that there is an issue made out of it...

Quick Reply

Latest