The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

University of Oxford... Dare I dream?

Hello fellows ,

I am an international student with a BA in English from a local university. A couple years ago i tried to go into publishing world and currently my first novel in it's way to be print.

I was supposed to be starting my MA in Linguistics in University of Birmingham this year, but i postpone it until next September and will start an online MA in English in January because I have a lot of spare time. I know it will be a bit overwhelming, but I want to show to Oxford's admission how serious I am.

I also have a work experience at university level but for a short time only four months.
Normally I am "a hardworking girl that is punctual and promised with a bright future" that's what one of my professors said about me.

My only problem is my GPA as I was not the most hardworking person and I was rebellious, if I may say. and I wasn't aware of whether I will be allowed to dream of going abroad and continue my studies or not until i determined to do so.

So, should I dream of going to Oxford or not? is GPA the only criteria to judge ones fully potential? what could I do to boost my chances of getting into Oxford? Dare I dream about Oxford or should my dream just remain a dream?

by the way my intended course is Mst in English from 1900 to present.
so any tips

Thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MeMa4ever
Hello fellows ,

I am an international student with a BA in English from a local university. A couple years ago i tried to go into publishing world and currently my first novel in it's way to be print.

I was supposed to be starting my MA in Linguistics in University of Birmingham this year, but i postpone it until next September and will start an online MA in English in January because I have a lot of spare time. I know it will be a bit overwhelming, but I want to show to Oxford's admission how serious I am.

I also have a work experience at university level but for a short time only four months.
Normally I am "a hardworking girl that is punctual and promised with a bright future" that's what one of my professors said about me.

My only problem is my GPA as I was not the most hardworking person and I was rebellious, if I may say. and I wasn't aware of whether I will be allowed to dream of going abroad and continue my studies or not until i determined to do so.

So, should I dream of going to Oxford or not? is GPA the only criteria to judge ones fully potential? what could I do to boost my chances of getting into Oxford? Dare I dream about Oxford or should my dream just remain a dream?

by the way my intended course is Mst in English from 1900 to present.
so any tips

Thanks in advance

What nationality are you/your BA, and what was your final GPA? If you can provide that other members may be able to help more as your original post doesn't give many concrete details :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by gutenberg
What nationality are you/your BA, and what was your final GPA? If you can provide that other members may be able to help more as your original post doesn't give many concrete details :smile:

Hello,
my GPA is very humble it is 2.5 and I am from Oman. I am very embarrassed with my GPA because I could done way better in my college years and it is really didn't reflect my ability.
Hello,
my GPA is very humble it is 2.5 and I am from Oman. I am very embarrassed with my GPA because I could done way better in my college years and it is really didn't reflect my ability.

So you have a degree from an Omani university? From what I can see on other university pages (such as London here), your 2.5 GPA translates to a British 2.2. Unfortunately, Oxford's English MSt requires at least a high 2.1, and many applicants will have a First.

That result will be very hard to overcome I think. Which university are you studying your distance MA with? Possibly if you can do very, very well on that course there may be a chance, given that you have evidence of other engagement with literature through your novel.... But I think your chances are slim at best, the MSt courses are very very popular.
Reply 4
So you have a degree from an Omani university? From what I can see on other university pages (such as London here), your 2.5 GPA translates to a British 2.2. Unfortunately, Oxford's English MSt requires at least a high 2.1, and many applicants will have a First.

That result will be very hard to overcome I think. Which university are you studying your distance MA with? Possibly if you can do very, very well on that course there may be a chance, given that you have evidence of other engagement with literature through your novel.... But I think your chances are slim at best, the MSt courses are very very popular.

Yes my old university consider to rate the second in Oman. and my distance MA course is Ma in English studies from University of Nottingham and it will starts on February. I tried to boost up my C.V by doing a CELTA course as well as taking CPE exam. Also am currently working on an article that am going to publish it in Huffington post just to compensating my low GPA. while I am multilingual; considering i am speaking fluently two languages and beginner on the third language I am holding a gull scholarship from my country, I don't know if that's help my application or not. I am aware that Oxford would not be impress by my humble C.V., but if there is a 5% shot that I might get acceptance I will take it and make advantage of it. :colondollar:

Cheers
Yes my old university consider to rate the second in Oman. and my distance MA course is Ma in English studies from University of Nottingham and it will starts on February. I tried to boost up my C.V by doing a CELTA course as well as taking CPE exam. Also am currently working on an article that am going to publish it in Huffington post just to compensating my low GPA. while I am multilingual; considering i am speaking fluently two languages and beginner on the third language I am holding a gull scholarship from my country, I don't know if that's help my application or not. I am aware that Oxford would not be impress by my humble C.V., but if there is a 5% shot that I might get acceptance I will take it and make advantage of it. :colondollar:

Cheers

Well many people nowadays take CELTA/TEFL courses, so I don't know how much that will help, plus you want to do a Literature course, not a language one. Also taking the CPE is akin to what you would have to do anyway to prove you have a sufficient level of English to study in the UK, so I don't know if that would help. Similarly writing articles for blogs/online news is admirable, but not really massively relevant - I have done it several times. Having a proper academic publication in a peer-reviewed journal would help more.

Honestly, Oxford will be most interested in your grades, references, and research proposal. The first of those is lacking for you, at least at the moment and will put you at a serious disadvantage when applying. If you can secure excellent references (and I'm talking better than merely 'MeMa4ever is bright and punctual'), and a knockout research proposal then you might have some chance, but I honestly wouldn't hold my breath. In 2013/2014 Oxford's English taught courses had an offer rate of c. 29% - 496 applied and 147 were made offers. With your profile, I think even a 5% chance is generous.

However if you want to take the chance and apply then of course do so, and good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Well many people nowadays take CELTA/TEFL courses, so I don't know how much that will help, plus you want to do a Literature course, not a language one. Also taking the CPE is akin to what you would have to do anyway to prove you have a sufficient level of English to study in the UK, so I don't know if that would help. Similarly writing articles for blogs/online news is admirable, but not really massively relevant - I have done it several times. Having a proper academic publication in a peer-reviewed journal would help more.

Honestly, Oxford will be most interested in your grades, references, and research proposal. The first of those is lacking for you, at least at the moment and will put you at a serious disadvantage when applying. If you can secure excellent references (and I'm talking better than merely 'MeMa4ever is bright and punctual':wink:, and a knockout research proposal then you might have some chance, but I honestly wouldn't hold my breath. In 2013/2014 Oxford's English taught courses had an offer rate of c. 29% - 496 applied and 147 were made offers. With your profile, I think even a 5% chance is generous.

However if you want to take the chance and apply then of course do so, and good luck.

Thanks for the honesty I really appreciate it. However am going to take your advice and work more on my C.V.

Kind regards.
You'll never really know unless you apply.

I think creative writing might be a big different if you have a strong portfolio of work. GPA 2.5 does sound horrible, and I'm confused by whether you're actually hardworking (your professor says you are, you said you're not).

GPA is not the only criteria, but just like the English requirement, you probably can't compensate that with other things too much.

I know one part-timer at Oxford on a different course getting in a 2:2 so it's not impossible but I don't know what the creative writing people got.

CELTA is only really useful if you want bragging rights on TSR. Not much in the real world.
Reply 8
Original post by Little Toy Gun

I think creative writing might be a big different if you have a strong portfolio of work. GPA 2.5 does sound horrible, and I'm confused by whether you're actually hardworking (your professor says you are, you said you're not).

GPA is not the only criteria, but just like the English requirement, you probably can't compensate that with other things too much.

I know one part-timer at Oxford on a different course getting in a 2:2 so it's not impossible but I don't know what the creative writing people got.

CELTA is only really useful if you want bragging rights on TSR. Not much in the real world.

thanks very much for your words. Could I connect with this person please?

The OP wants to apply for an MSt in Literature (1900 onwards) rather than Creative Writing. If it was creative writing, I'd have agreed that having a good portfolio would help a lot with the poor grades.
The OP wants to apply for an MSt in Literature (1900 onwards) rather than Creative Writing. If it was creative writing, I'd have agreed that having a good portfolio would help a lot with the poor grades.

Oops I can't read. #exposed
thanks very much for your words. Could I connect with this person please?

I wouldn't think it would be appropriate when you're not even my friend and this person isn't in the same field as you are.
Oops I can't read. #exposed

:smile: no worries. I do agree with your point that Creative Writing courses often are assessed differently to other English courses. But the MSts are very academic and not concerned with creative writing at all, from my understanding.
:smile: no worries. I do agree with your point that Creative Writing courses often are assessed differently to other English courses. But the MSts are very academic and not concerned with creative writing at all, from my understanding.

You're right. I just for some reason thought this was about the MSt Creative Writing course.

OP basically has no choice with a 2:2. But it's still not 100% since the grade wasn't British and they may not convert the GPA directly. I know someone from India with what would be a 2:2 who got in. But again, in a different field and I have no idea what else she's done.
Reply 14

You're right. I just for some reason thought this was about the MSt Creative Writing course.

OP basically has no choice with a 2:2. But it's still not 100% since the grade wasn't British and they may not convert the GPA directly. I know someone from India with what would be a 2:2 who got in. But again, in a different field and I have no idea what else she's done.

gutenberg and little toy gun
thaks you so much for contributing in thread. I am aware of my capability and I know thinking of applying sounds crazy and dump at its best, but I might apply after all because no one know I might get lucky. While I know that my shots are very very very low, but I will gamble on me :biggrin:, I think! I'll keep you guys know what will happen :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending