The Student Room Group

Greenhead College Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Himani Vadhia
You do know that if it was linear then we would have to do all the exams at the end of A2?...😱

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes- but it's like that with the rest of my subjejcts and it's like that at GCSE, so it wouldn't really bother me :tongue:
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Hello- I remember messaging you about your display picture :tongue:- cowboy bepop right?
I didn't think so many people on here would be interested in GC. I'm glad you like it, which subjects do you do and why is it one of the best decisions of your life?

Aye, it's a small world!! Haha. :tongue:

I'll be honest, I was surprised to see my college's name just pop up at the side of my screen, but I suppose it has a reputation (for better or for worse), of it being one of the best sixth form colleges in the country. :smile:

I take Modern History, Economics, Maths and Further Maths. People often ask me which is my favourite, and I honestly can't give a straight answer; it changes on a regular basis. But honestly, I love them all! :biggrin:

For me, what makes GC great is.. Well just about everything! There's certainly a pressure to do well, especially if you come out with great GCSE results.But honestly, one of the main reasons I applied was because I felt I needed the encouragement to get off my butt, and get work done. And that certainly has been the case at GC. Haha. :smile: That being said, the pressure never feels overwhelming, and as long as you enjoy your subjects and head in with the right attitude, GC will be perfect for you!

From what I've found, the teachers are all so passionate about their subject, it makes it so much easier to get interested in what you're learning. I think someone's mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the Maths department really is amazing (though the general sense of humour seems to revolve around mathematically-related puns).

The enrichment programme offered also sets it apart from lots of other colleges, as there really is something for everyone! You could probably argue that it offers better opportunities for enrichment and extra-curricular activities, than many universities do! And through it, I've met so many amazing people and gotten to know better those I came to the college with.

I don't want to just ramble on, so to keep on topic, if you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. :biggrin:

Just as a final note though, regarding your interviews, they're really not bad at all! If you're applying from a non-feeder school, the hardest part is just being given the offer (which should mostly be based on your mock results, unless you have extenuating circumstances). After you receive the offer, you only really need the minimum requirement of 5 GCSEs, A* - C including English and Maths, to get in. Unless you're wanting to do Further Maths, where you'll need at least an A (though based on my classes, it'll be ideal to get an A* as most other students do so, alongside their other fancy qualifications).

Best of luck on your mocks if you haven't already had them, and it'd be great to see any of you around next year! :biggrin:
Original post by habeeb_00
Did you lot have a lot of friends at greenhead when you started? Or was it just a matter of making new ones?

I'm guessing you're applying from a non-feeder school?

Usually people know at least one person when they start, so it's a little easier for them, but I definitely know quite a lot of people who started out knowing absolutely no one, who then went onto make loads of new friends! :smile:

I'll admit, there's a few groups from feeder schools which come across as slightly cliquey, as it's almost as if they refuse to integrate with new people. But, for the most part, I've seen many groups merge together, and people are really welcoming and nice if you're from a school with not many people applying.

When you make friends in classes/form/enrichment (and you inevitably will), just let them know that you're from a non-feeder school, with hardly anyone else from there, and they should be happy to accomodate you and let you hang around with them at lunch and whatnot if you just ask. :')

I personally came from a feeder school, but I've found myself making so many new friends it's hard to remember everyone's names sometimes. Haha. You really do find your kind of "people" at college, whatever kind that may be, and to some extent, I've drifted a little away from some people of my old school, in favour of the awesome new people that I've met. :biggrin:
Nah we have our own sixth form but I'm applying for greenhead as well because my predicted grades are plastered with A*s right now!

I don't think I'll have a big problem with it all considering there will probably be a fair few people from non-feeders like me.

Forgot to go the open evening on Thursday lol will have to go to the next one

What are the extracurriculars like? Clubs?

Ah, best of luck on where-ever you end up going! Be sure to keep us updated! :biggrin:

Honestly, even some of the most socially recluse of people have been meeting new people they get along with at college. And well, if it happened to be a problem, I'd be your friend!! :biggrin: Haha.

I'm pretty sure there should be three different open events, and this first one was pretty early admittedly. :tongue: I remember when I went though, it was very busy on the last open evening. The parking is always a problem. Hahaha. :')

As for extra-curriculars, there's about 100+ of them, so I'm not sure if I can list through them all (I think there's a link to them on the website somewhere..?). But basically, there's lots of different clubs/societies (for people with specific interests), sports teams and recreational activities, professional IT qualifications you can gain, volunteering opportunities, Drama and Music activities, competitions, projects, skills development opportunities, and also activities that can complement your subjects quite well, and extend them further. And then if there's somehow nothing that interests you, you can set up your own too, providing you can get together a list of people that would be interested in it, and you can convince a teacher to supervise it for you.

Your enrichment activities then take place rather on Wednesday afternoons (where no lessons are scheduled), or on lunchtimes. Or in my case, Monday and Thursday lunchtimes, and Wednesday afternoons. :tongue:
Yes- but it's like that with the rest of my subjejcts and it's like that at GCSE, so it wouldn't really bother me :tongue:

No, there is more content and it's way harder. Be careful, A Level maths is a big jump from GCSE. I would be surprised if you haven't been told this already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, there is more content and it's way harder. Be careful, A Level maths is a big jump from GCSE. I would be surprised if you haven't been told this already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it is- but we've already been taught some of AS level content as part of the further maths and additional maths content. I'm just saying I would still prefer 2 years, because I'm a huge procrastinator :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's difficult to determine how difficult someone will find A-Level Maths, as there's various contradictory stories of people coming out with an A* at GCSE and then a U at AS-Level, and conversely, someone coming out with a B at GCSE and then an A* at A2. :smile:

If I were to try and summarise it, the first module C1, essentially just expands upon the A/A* topics of GCSE, and then there's just a few extra things you might learn, like differentiation, integration and sequences (depending on the exam board you go through).

As a Further Maths student, I'm maybe two-thirds of the way through C2, the second module and I don't find it too bad! The style of exam questions definitely are a little unusual in comparison to GCSE, and it requires a bit more thorough understanding of what's going on to answer the questions correctly, and using the correct methods. At AS-Level at least, I wouldn't necessarily say the 'difficulty' steps up, as long as you're pretty confident on algebra and the necessary A/A* topics at GCSE, there shouldn't be too much trouble adjusting.

I can't speak for C3 or C4 though for the moment, and I'm not particularly looking forward to the Mechanics modules, but that's just me. :smile:
Original post by BroJoeJoe
It's difficult to determine how difficult someone will find A-Level Maths, as there's various contradictory stories of people coming out with an A* at GCSE and then a U at AS-Level, and conversely, someone coming out with a B at GCSE and then an A* at A2. :smile:

If I were to try and summarise it, the first module C1, essentially just expands upon the A/A* topics of GCSE, and then there's just a few extra things you might learn, like differentiation, integration and sequences (depending on the exam board you go through).

As a Further Maths student, I'm maybe two-thirds of the way through C2, the second module and I don't find it too bad! The style of exam questions definitely are a little unusual in comparison to GCSE, and it requires a bit more thorough understanding of what's going on to answer the questions correctly, and using the correct methods. At AS-Level at least, I wouldn't necessarily say the 'difficulty' steps up, as long as you're pretty confident on algebra and the necessary A/A* topics at GCSE, there shouldn't be too much trouble adjusting.

I can't speak for C3 or C4 though for the moment, and I'm not particularly looking forward to the Mechanics modules, but that's just me. :smile:

Ok thanks!
K

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps its changed for your year then, its so confusing!! We are doing AS exams even if they are linear!
Original post by emilyrobinson100
Perhaps its changed for your year then, its so confusing!! We are doing AS exams even if they are linear!

Yes it has changed for our year but I agree it's very confusing what is happening to the A level system it keep changing :tongue:
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Snap I want to go into dentistry too as hard as it is it should be worth it hopefully honestly I don't think it matters you're studying two sciences as long as you're predicted grades are fairly good you should be ok
A levels I want to do are biology and chemistry for d finite and perhaps psychology and thinking of maths although I've heard you don't need it for dentistry? I'm really bad at maths and ohysics too lol so definitely don't want to do them but not too sure yet 😝
What are your gcse predicted grades

I want to do dentistry but I'm not sure about maths .. I keep going back and forth. But right now I'm considering English Lit , Maths, Biology, Chemistry
Any help from Greenhead students?!??!
I was just wondering if my predicted grades are ok? I'm from a non-partner school...
Maths: A/A*
English Lang: B
English Lit: B
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A/A*
History: A
Spanish: A
Already got a B in economics which I did in Year 10...
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got in from a non-feeder school with predicted grades of 6As and 5Bs. Just be sure to act confidently and speak passionately about your education and your interests when you go for an interview!
As a non-feeder school student I really would advise you to consider your travel thoroughly. I spend 3 hours a day going to and from Huddersfield and although its manageable, it really does take away from the amount of time you have to study, never mind to see your friends or hold down a part-time job.
Original post by savannahmoss
I got in from a non-feeder school with predicted grades of 6As and 5Bs. Just be sure to act confidently and speak passionately about your education and your interests when you go for an interview!
As a non-feeder school student I really would advise you to consider your travel thoroughly. I spend 3 hours a day going to and from Huddersfield and although its manageable, it really does take away from the amount of time you have to study, never mind to see your friends or hold down a part-time job.

Thanks! Been told about travelling time already and i've taken that into consideration. My brother goes at the moment and it isn't too bad for him but then again, he is different to me. My predicted grades have changed to 2 A*' , 3A's and 3B's.
Already got a B in economics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of curiosity, anyone there from Halifax? How's the commute?

Nope but it's pretty easy to find out...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of curiosity, anyone there from Halifax? How's the commute?

Well I go to school in Halifax and I go to greenhead everyday to get home or my dad drives me from there

On the bus I get(hired). We finish school at 3:30 and I'm at greenhead at about 4:10

When I miss the bus aha( on the way to school). It takes maybe about 20-25 minutes to get to my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Bus timetables aren't always the best :c

Better than I expected, cheers!

Why, what did you think it would be?
Has anyone applied yet? :smile:
Original post by _ariane29
Has anyone applied yet? :smile:

No, have you? I'm going to apply when I get my mock results and a week before progress update report.
No, have you? I'm going to apply when I get my mock results and a week before progress update report.

Me neither. I'm going to apply soon when I've sorted my ucas progress out because I'm applying online :tongue:
Original post by _ariane29
Me neither. I'm going to apply soon when I've sorted my ucas progress out because I'm applying online :tongue:

Do you need a personal statement for that?

Quick Reply