The Student Room Group

Do you despair at the meaninglessness of life?

Or does it liberate you?

Personally, I am liberated by the idea that life is meaningless. It means that I can give life a meaning, my own one that I can change when I please.

Scroll to see replies

I despair over it! I'm not imaginative to give my life meaning when I know everything will be obliterated in time
I despair at the meaninglessness of life tbh
Reply 3
I would say both at the same time.
I can't help but feeling that we are insignificant, and that after death everything will be over.
However, that is the best reason possible to make your time here worthwile.
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Or does it liberate you?

Personally, I am liberated by the idea that life is meaningless. It means that I can give life a meaning, my own one that I can change when I please.

I'm unsure.

But I like your take on it, it's encouraging!
Reply 5
FOH. Life is sick.
Original post by Hevachan
I despair over it! I'm not imaginative to give my life meaning when I know everything will be obliterated in time

The idea of death doesn't make me depressed, it fuels me! Since I will be dead, why not chase my dreams? Why not say that thing at the back of my mind that I'm scared to say? Death makes me want to make the most of the limited time I have.
Reply 7
Quite interestingly, I am watching Iron Man on the TV right now and Tony Stark just gave a speech about how our lifes don't matter, only what we will make to change the world for the generations to come.
Original post by samina_ay
I despair at the meaninglessness of life tbh

Wait...Aren't you muslim? Or am I mistaken?
It makes me sad when I have an ice cream and enjoy the moment, then remember that soon I will die and will have no way to eat ice cream or find pleasure in things. Although I hope that I can improve the lives of the next generation through the actions of my life.
If life is meaningless then worrying about its meaninglessness won't make it any less meaningless, so there is no point in doing so: in the long run, whatever you do, nothing you will ever do in your life will ever really matter to the universe, so just make sure you do what you enjoy and make it matter to yourself :smile:
Original post by Little Popcorns
I'm unsure.

But I like your take on it, it's encouraging!

Honestly, I used to despair at it but when I came close to death it's when I realised the importance of living life to the absolute fullest, despite it's briefness.
Wait...Aren't you muslim? Or am I mistaken?

Yes i am, i believe that this life is temporary
I think it's liberating and depressing at the same time.
I am a nihilist btw

Everyone believes/knows that.
Original post by driftawaay
Everyone believes/knows that.

cool
Well life isn't meaningless, there are goals, and I need to get my score multiplier sorted out...........
Original post by Lord Kitchener
It makes me sad when I have an ice cream and enjoy the moment, then remember that soon I will die and will have no way to eat ice cream or find pleasure in things.

This is how I live my life and why I can't find happiness in appreciation as it just makes me sad about death :frown: damn ice cream tasting so good

But surely if you're muslim then you believe that life isn't meaningless, that there is a purpose?

Original post by driftawaay
I think it's liberating and depressing at the same time.
I am a nihilist btw

I would class myself as an existentialist. I love existentialism, it's so liberating. Life is meaningless(objectively) but that shouldn't stop people from giving their life it's own meaning. Nihilism is just depressing.
Reply 19
Or does it liberate you?

I find it liberating! I'm glad another person on here feels the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending