The Student Room Group

which northern uni to go to????

I am applying for Exeter and Cardiff,Southampton,but need 2 other choices .I am looking at them in terms of :Life and what the city has to offer,nightlife,league ranking,job prospects etc.. please help me pick out of:Manchester,Newcastle,Leeds or Sheffield.

Scroll to see replies

Leeds and Manchester
York is great for Law.
Reply 3
I'd suggest consider looking at other places too in those towns, e.g. Salford and other towns as well such as Nottingham. I would counsel against the University of Manchester if you are going to do a STEM subject or law because they can be harsh markers and then be intolerant of any appeals.
If you're talking Uni of Sheffield as opposed to Hallam, it's the most prestigious on there, for what it's worth. Sheffield's also known for its student life, being basically a student city, although Leeds might be the only one on there that rivals it in that aspect.
There's hardly anything between them tbh, though in terms of rankings perpahsps Manchester and Leeds pushes ahead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Swansea!

Edit : oops didn't see you had options
Newcastle and Sheffield

Original post by thecatwithnohat
Swansea!

Edit : oops didn't see you had options

Did you not see it said northern either? :tongue:
Original post by Hashim123
If you're talking Uni of Sheffield as opposed to Hallam, it's the most prestigious on there, for what it's worth. Sheffield's also known for its student life, being basically a student city, although Leeds might be the only one on there that rivals it in that aspect.

Manchester is the most prestigious overall, and Newcastle is the most prestigious for the subject.
Newcastle is a great city. It has the best nightlife in the country (excluding London)
Reply 10
Original post by sarahmayy98
I am applying for Exeter and Cardiff,Southampton,but need 2 other choices .I am looking at them in terms of :Life and what the city has to offer,nightlife,league ranking,job prospects etc.. please help me pick out of:Manchester,Newcastle,Leeds or Sheffield.

All of them will have a great nightlife, they're all respectable Universities, there isn't much difference. I would have a look at the course content and modules of each of the courses because the difference in reputation between those unis is so small it's pretty much irrelevant.

From what I've heard Manchester is a very spread out city which can be quite annoying, and I've heard Leeds has a massive drug scene. Newcastle looks like a nice place to live and I've heard Sheffield has a lot of hills.
Original post by callum_law
Manchester is the most prestigious overall, and Newcastle is the most prestigious for the subject.

Wow, you're right. Had no idea Mancs and Newcastle were so prestigious, my misconceptions about Sheffield have been shattered. :laugh:
Wow, you're right. Had no idea Mancs and Newcastle were so prestigious, my misconceptions about Sheffield have been shattered. :laugh:

Hey, it's no problem. We all make mistakes now and again, and I am more than happy to set you on the right path.

Spoiler

exetahhhh!
Hey, it's no problem. We all make mistakes now and again, and I am more than happy to set you on the right path.

Spoiler

Is it?
Original post by United1892
Newcastle and Sheffield

Did you not see it said northern either? :tongue:

I have no idea what happened ok .. just saw the word uni and my fingers took over :cry2:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I have no idea what happened ok .. just saw the word uni and my fingers took over :cry2:

Fair enough. :smile:
Is it?

THE has Manchester ranked 56th in the world and Sheffield ranked 97th; ARWU has Manchester 41st in the world and Sheffield 101–150 in the world; QS has Manchester 33rd in the world and Sheffield 80th. To claim Sheffield is the most prestigious out of the list is absolutely delusional.

I guess the location listed on your profile explains why you have such silly views.
Reply 18
THE has Manchester ranked 56th in the world and Sheffield ranked 97th; ARWU has Manchester 41st in the world and Sheffield 101–150 in the world; QS has Manchester 33rd in the world and Sheffield 80th. To claim Sheffield is the most prestigious out of the list is absolutely delusional.

I guess the location listed on your profile explains why you have such silly views.

And would the average employer differentiate between Sheffield and Manchester?

What is it in your makeup that makes you physically unable to grasp the concept of being misinformed? I was misinformed, almost probably because of my bias toward Sheffield and because the prestigiousness of Sheffield Uni is all I ever hear about, and I have admitted as such. What is it about someone making a genuine blunder that gets so far up your arse and offends you so much? Think about the absurdity of your last post - you're berating someone for not having memorised a ****ing league table. I swear to God, the retards on this forum will grasp at anything they can just for the ego-massage of having one-upped someone. Get off the computer, get outside your house, and get a life with some goddamned perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending