The Student Room Group

Do you despair at the meaninglessness of life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by F.Nietzsche
I totally agree!

Is it any good?
And hedonism, well I don't think pleasure should be the primary goal in life neither should it be completely abandoned. How about you? What is your opinion of it?

I think it should be the primary goal of life, but 'pleasure' is such a subjective term, that's the beauty of it.

What is your primary goal in life?
You might die young...

True. But that kind of death I can handle as I can try and influence the outcome in my favor. I can live a healthy life style. Make sure to look both ways when crossing the road. Defend myself form attack. That's like being an immortal elf in Middle-Earth, I can die if an Orc sticks me but I can in theory live forever. In fact that risk of death makes life exciting and I came to terms with it when I was about 5 years old. I've been living in that dream world for most of my life, I am currently transitioning to the next step of acknowledging my own mortality and the fact I am again it is awful. I'm 23 :-/

The above e death is a world apart form the aging process and the inevitability of dieing from old age. That death ****ing sucks.

Basically their is hope to the former type of death. There is no hope with the latter, it;s drawn out, it eats away at you slowly then accelerates as time passes, you can tell it is happening as you grow weaker... You are being stalked by the grim reaper.

I have a mini existential crisis on daily basis :tongue:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hevachan
This is how I live my life and why I can't find happiness in appreciation as it just makes me sad about death :frown: damn ice cream tasting so good

It's like oh my god this is so good. But what does it matter when I will be dead soon. It's like where is the end goal, what does it all mean? Why cant ice cream transcend life?
Original post by JD1lla
I think it should be the primary goal of life, but 'pleasure' is such a subjective term, that's the beauty of it.

What is your primary goal in life?

That's true, but there's more to life than pleasure. But then again, like you said pleasure is subjective.

What a question! To learn as much as possible. To love people, life and myself. To be at peace, probably. How about you?
Reply 44
That's true, but there's more to life than pleasure. But then again, like you said pleasure is subjective.

What a question! To learn as much as possible. To love people, life and myself. To be at peace, probably. How about you?

Well, mine is all about pleasure. This includes:

Reading, travelling, music, good food, drugs, working hard (this is pleasurable for me) and lots of sex. I would love to be a father in the not so distant future. Although this is not quite pleasure, it is one of the sheer joys of life; raising an extension of yourself + your significant other. In the long term. There are probably moments of pure Hell :P
:love: that's why :
Original post by JD1lla
Well, mine is all about pleasure. This includes:

Reading, travelling, music, good food, drugs, working hard (this is pleasurable for me) and lots of sex. I would love to be a father in the not so distant future. Although this is not quite pleasure, it is one of the sheer joys of life; raising an extension of yourself + your significant other. In the long term. There are probably moments of pure Hell :P

I like most of the things you like, minus the drugs. :tongue:
The ****ty moments cannot be avoided, but you can learn and grow from them.
Reply 47
No.

No One Ever Really Dies.
Do you despair at the meaninglessness of life?

Is it meaningless?
I think what is troubling is the uncertainty. Hence why people adopt various belief systems.
Original post by dreamlover
Is it meaningless?
I think what is troubling is the uncertainty. Hence why people adopt various belief systems.

Nothing can be known with 100% certainty.
Reply 50
I don't think as a species are life is meaningless but I think the convention of the 9 - 5 working week for example is a largely pointless exercise that won't (in the long term) push humanity in a forward direction!
Reply 51
Despair. I'm rather obsessed with thinking about the non meaning of life and death.
Nothing can be known with 100% certainty.

Where there is no conflict, there is no question. That, for all intents and purposes, is certainty.
It's not meaningless. Humans exist to serve a very specific purpose. Life has a clear purpose and an obvious meaning. Thread title invalid therefore cannot respond appropriately.
Reply 54
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Is your avatar Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors? :love:

Yes! Natalie Dormer and Anne Boleyn are the baes. :colondollar:
No. It's really boring; people who feel that don't appreciate the infinite mystery that is all around them, daily.
(edited 8 years ago)
The fact that life does have meaning, and that I fall short of serving that meaning, gets me down
I find it quite reassuring that in the grand scheme of things we probably won't do any great damage to the universe, despite the fact that we cause a lot of problems on this planet. Of course, our species has also achieved a lot but nothing really matters anyway. I suppose for me the 'meaning' of my life is to love my friends and family and try to be kind and enjoy good comedy! ...those things are just fun.
Reply 58
I did for a while. It made me think about the question a lot. I think the meaning in life is something that people feel is there, but when you really look, it fizzles away. However, luckily I feel that I found an answer to the question. My answer is: to benefit the lives of those who would exist irrespective of my existence.

As for the reasons why I arrived at that answer, it's probably better to read an article I wrote about it: http://journalofinterest.com/essays/meaning-of-life/
Reply 59
Or does it liberate you?

Personally, I am liberated by the idea that life is meaningless. It means that I can give life a meaning, my own one that I can change when I please.

Life is not meaningless.It is simply multimeaningful.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58451959#post58451959

The purposes are so minute, so varied, they're easy to miss and easy to ignore. Anyone arguing that life has no meaning is missing the point. If it holds no meaning, it could apply to anything I want it to.

Firstly, it has the obvious meaning of "the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death." So even if you disagree with the idea of infinite meaning, life has at least one meaning.

And if you say that's not the point, what is? Of course it's the point. Life has a meaning: Not death.

Secondly, there is the purpose of interconnections: We connect, disconnect, create, destroy, love, hate, et cetera. We use these interactions to define who we are, giving us literal meaning.

Thirdly, we have the infinite meaning of classification. We know what life is, and we know what death is. Let's experience it and talk about it so people can have something to do while they're not dead.

Finally, we have the meaning of Philosophy: The reason you are here. If there were no meaning in life, no one would care to discuss it. It would not be something we really cared about. Instead we would care about things with meaning, like crustaceans, or fiduciaries, or kings - ooh, what are those? We flock to what has meaning because it's exiting and fun.

Life has so much meaning we overlook or forget about; But if you're just too lazy to admit that it has meaning, that's a separate issue altogether.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending