The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
No. Marriage should be a religious ceremony to celebrate the coming together of a man and a woman. Atheist heterosexual couples shouldn't be able to get married either. They should have state recognised civil partnerships.
Original post by Mathematicus65
Apologies for your Idiocracy but marriage DOES NOT predate Christianity

Do you mean idiocy? I mean, it feels like we live in an idiocracy sometimes too but I don't think that's what you were going for.

I replied to you on this already. Marriage is not exclusively a Christian (or even a religious) concept.
Original post by Mr JB
No. Marriage should be a religious ceremony to celebrate the coming together of a man and a woman. Atheist heterosexual couples shouldn't be able to get married either. They should have state recognised civil partnerships.

Civil partnerships are for same sex couples only.

I think you are thinking of civil marriages. Which is exactly the same as a state officiated religious marriage in terms of rights, but it's just not done with any religious connotations, in a religious building or by a religious official.

Marriages are not just religious ceremonies.
Original post by roarchika
It's basically one of the only subjects I can get super-passionate enough to revise for! :biggrin: That's still really cool, and probably means you have a lot more general knowledge than those of us who are following syllabi :wink:

Wish I could be that passionate :tongue:
Original post by footygirlx
Original post by SophieSmall
Marriage is a human right.

According too?

Article 12 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Well for one it has already been changed. Same sex marriage is now legal.
Secondly having it so same sex couples are segregated into a different category of "partnership" is not equality. Equality is allowing people the SAME rights, not similar rights because they're not allowed a legitimate marriage like the rest of us.

PRSOM. :grin: You hit the nail to death.

Original post by ravioliyears
But it's not the matter of concieving, its about love and pasison for one another. Just because two people love each other, doesn't mean they have to concieve - children is not the answer for all happy and loving marriages.

Great post.

Article 12 of the human rights act.

PRSOM again :grin: Thanks for doing the work for me.

Original post by Zarek
The denial of same sex marriage was the last bastion of homophobia and discrimination. To see Ireland, a state traditionally rooted in the repressive ways of the Catholic Church, reject this discrimination showed that the tide has truly turned and can never go back. I am glad I have lived to see it.

I'd say "...last bastion of homophobia and discrimination in the UK" to be pedantic and leave nothing to ambiguity, and certainly not the last in the world.

Very heart-warming post to read as well. :grin: (I love that grin face too much.)

Original post by United1892
Do you believe we should stone homosexuals?
Do you believe that masturbation is a sin?
Do you think we shouldn't eat pork?
Do you only eat halal/kosher meat?

Isn't there something about not eating shellfish too? Or not wearing mixed fabrics?

Original post by footygirlx
Just because i didnt agree with you doesnt make me an idiot :smile:

Does that mean you've changed your opinion? Or was that literally just saying that you didn't agree with you back then, nothing more?

So you believe in what is written in the bible but only for certain parts?

Why do you pick these parts?

In a phenomenon called cherry-picking, do people have selectively-permeable blood-brain barrier (selective permeability in their reading skills.)
Original post by XcitingStuart
Article 12 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

PRSOM. :grin: You hit the nail to death.

Great post.

PRSOM again :grin: Thanks for doing the work for me.

I'd say "...last bastion of homophobia and discrimination in the UK" to be pedantic and leave nothing to ambiguity, and certainly not the last in the world.

Very heart-warming post to read as well. :grin: (I love that grin face too much.)

Isn't there something about not eating shellfish too? Or not wearing mixed fabrics?

Does that mean you've changed your opinion? Or was that literally just saying that you didn't agree with you back then, nothing more?

In a phenomenon called cherry-picking, do people have selectively-permeable blood-brain barrier (selective permeability in their reading skills.)

Naw thanks :tongue:
Original post by Mr JB

Marriage is a separate entity to religion (pre-dates it even.)
Marriage offers reduced taxes and better hospital visitation rights to partners (making it institutionalised discrimination.)
Marriage is also a milestone for many people, and is an intrinsic part of our society, making it cruel to deny such.
Reply 267
Civil partnerships are for same sex couples only.

I think you are thinking of civil marriages. Which is exactly the same as a state officiated religious marriage in terms of rights, but it's just not done with any religious connotations, in a religious building or by a religious official.

Marriages are not just religious ceremonies.

Are you an idiot? I gave my opinion on what it should be. I know how it currently is, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. You have done nothing more than try to force your opinion on plenty of others in this thread.

No. People who aren't religious, whether they're heterosexual or homosexual, shouldn't be allowed to get married. Only religious people should be allowed to get married. People who are not religious should not be allowed to get married in a church, and be recognised by God, and should have to get a state civil partnership.

Oh, and for many people marriage does have strict ties with religion. No one has to subscribe to your belief system at all.

The mixed fabric one rings a bell, not sure about selfish.

I'll never understand it.
Absolutely! Love is love! It's a shame that even now these questions have any meaning instead of same sex marriage just being the norm.
Reply 270
Marriage is a separate entity to religion (pre-dates it even.)
Marriage offers reduced taxes and better hospital visitation rights to partners (making it institutionalised discrimination.)
Marriage is also a milestone for many people, and is an intrinsic part of our society, making it cruel to deny such.

I know what marriage is. I never said otherwise. I gave my opinion on what it should be, and regardless of your views, I'm entitled to hold that opinion. When I see anybody who isn't religious getting married in a church its just ridiculous. How long before getting an Islamic style marriage in a Mosque becomes the in thing and fashionable thing to do? Cue the hipster moron generation jumping on this.
The mixed fabric one rings a bell, not sure about selfish.

The passage says that anything from the sea that isn't a fish is forbidden, so calamari and mussells are out.
Original post by Mr JB
Are you an idiot? I gave my opinion on what it should be. I know how it currently is, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. You have done nothing more than try to force your opinion on plenty of others in this thread.

No. People who aren't religious, whether they're heterosexual or homosexual, shouldn't be allowed to get married. Only religious people should be allowed to get married. People who are not religious should not be allowed to get married in a church, and be recognised by God, and should have to get a state civil partnership.

Oh, and for many people marriage does have strict ties with religion. No one has to subscribe to your belief system at all.

Nowhere on this thread have I argued that religious institutes should marry people they don't agree with. And I have said many times on this thread that I disagree that religions should be forced to accept or do things against their religion UNLESS it infringes on the legal human rights of others.

So well done for your rude outburst.

And again, marriage is not ONLY a religious ceremony. Marriage pre-dates your religion and all other Abrahamic religions. That's not a belief system, it is a fact.
Original post by Gwilym101
The passage says that anything from the sea that isn't a fish is forbidden, so calamari and mussells are out.

I didn't know that.
Reply 274

And again, marriage is not ONLY a religious ceremony. Marriage pre-dates your religion and all other Abrahamic religions. That's not a belief system, it is a fact.

Ah, so you are thick, or at least do your best to appear so. Marriage is not only a religious ceremony, but it should be, in my opinion. You need to ascertain the difference between someone stating a fact and giving an opinion.

As for predating my religion, what religion is that? I'd be interested to know, given I'm an atheist. Quite frankly, I think people who are nonbelievers and get married in a church are complete and utter hypocrites.
Original post by elliemayxo
Because I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure Hitler did as well, don't worry.
Original post by Mr JB
Ah, so you are thick, or at least do your best to appear so. Marriage is not only a religious ceremony, but it should be, in my opinion. You need to ascertain the difference between someone stating a fact and giving an opinion.

As for predating my religion, what religion is that? I'd be interested to know, given I'm an atheist. Quite frankly, I think people who are nonbelievers and get married in a church are complete and utter hypocrites.

Again with the needless rude way of speaking to me.

My mistake on thinking you were Christian I got you mixed up with another poster.

And again I've said this many times, when I am talking about marriage I am NOT talking about in a church or any other building so I don't understand why you keep brining this up.
Original post by Mr JB

Why should it be exclusively a religious ceremony when the invention of the concept of marriage precedes the invention of religion? :confused:

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't stop it confusing the hell out of me.
Reply 278
[QUOTE="SophieSmall;60176141"]Again with the needless rude way of speaking to me. {/quote]
Its not rude, its the truth. When you are purposefully twisting my words to portray me in a certain way then I am of course going to take that as an attack against me.

My mistake on thinking you were Christian I got you mixed up with another poster.

Maybe think before you post, then you wont make the errors you have done. All I can see here is someone who is overly emotional going on a tirade and in the midst of all that, logic has gone out of the window.

And again I've said this many times, when I am talking about marriage I am NOT talking about in a church or any other building so I don't understand why you keep brining this up.

And all I did, before you jumped on my opinion, was say that in my opinion marriage should be reserved for the religious and nonbelievers of any sexuality shouldn't be allowed to get married. I dont believe heterosexual atheist men and women should be allowed to get married either. To me, its a religious ceremony with deep rooted religious ties.
The fact that this is even a question disturbs me because it implies same sex marriage is something that it's acceptable to disagree with and which needs society's approval. But yes, of course I agree with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending