The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by elen90
Why should it be exclusively a religious ceremony when the invention of the concept of marriage precedes the invention of religion? :confused:

For me, marriage has deep rooted religious ties and has done so for centuries. Yes, it may well have predated religion as we know it today but marriage as we know it today has been heavily influenced by the church.
Reply 281
Original post by TTWNGCBC
The fact that this is even a question disturbs me because it implies same sex marriage is something that it's acceptable to disagree with and which needs society's approval. But yes, of course I agree with it.

Everything should be open to be disagreed with or argued against. Sorry if someones free will and freedom of expression hurts your overly sensitive ass but get over it and move on with your life.
Original post by Mr JB
For me, marriage has deep rooted religious ties and has done so for centuries. Yes, it may well have predated religion as we know it today but marriage as we know it today has been heavily influenced by the church.

Out of interest, if there is a girl you want to spend the rest of your life with, would you want it legally recognized?
But then you can't because you're an atheist and you disagree with secular marriages, and civil partnerships don't exist for straight couples.
What would you do then??
Original post by SophieSmall
Then you do realise you are picking and choosing what parts of the bible to listen to?
Who are you to decide what words of god are legitimate?

PRSOM again. :frown: (Stop making good posts. :tongue: :biggrin:)
People often mention cherry-picking, but I've never seen someone make a witty response like that, turning their own principles against them.

Original post by Spelly456
Hmm, so do you have issues with infertile heterosexual couples getting married since they can't conceive naturally?

I think the bigger question is whether you're going to get a response to that question?

Original post by elliemayxo
I've explained this too many times on TSR. If God wanted gay men then he would of created two men instead of a man and a woman.

But guess what? A woman and a man were created because they can conceive, and it's the natural way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot to mention this in my other post, but homosexuals can conceive naturally; a homosexual male can impregnate a homosexual female even! i.e. a gay man can knock up a lesbian even!

Also, although adoption and surrogacy I'd deem more unnatural anyway, why are you appealing to nature?
natural =/= good
unnatural =/= bad

(natural =/= bad and unnatural =/= good either.)

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Original post by HAnwar
No.

Because...

Original post by Zarek
You are free to disagree with the acts. Although on reflection why one should disagree with something which is not remotely your business is a question.

However what is clearly no longer acceptable is to discriminate against, bully or undermine people just because their sexual choices are different from ones own.

Just saying, there isn't such a thing as a homosexual act (with the exception of frotting, that I know of) unless we solely determine the act by the (homo)sexuality of the participants. However, most people attribute certain types of sexual acts to this, like anal sex, when that's merely a matter of demographics once it's lost its exclusivity.

i.e. they conflate sexuality of participants with type of act involved.
i.e. they conflate sexual behaviour with sexual orientation.

Original post by elliemayxo
I was actually speaking to you. You can't seem to say a sentence without saying lmao or lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps because she finds it funny/lolable/thinks you have trollability typical in debates like these.

Original post by ravioliyears
How does that make someone an idiot though?

Spoiler

too true

Spoiler

Original post by RodgertheRabbit
Depends on what you mean, I think same sex couples should be recognised by the state just as heterosexual couples are.

Should they be able to demand that religions that prohibit gay marriage officially recognise their union and/or be forced to hold their marriages ceremonies in their churches then no.

My understanding of the subject maybe wrong, but I thought the controversy was that homosexuals were demanding Christian ceremonies and marriages in Christian churches.

I suppose in the UK protestant churches are owned by the state, and are technically public institutions/not private like America............ hmm. this is complex.

A better question would be do homosexuals have a right to IVF, in the case of female/female relationships. Or the equal right to adopt. Technically they shouldn't be able to have children anyway, so saying homosexuals have an equal right to a family like heterosexuals seems self refuting.

Not even sure if I'm for equal rights then!?

What about adoption or surrogacy? There's no moral question to adoption, though I see surrogacy might give rise to some problems.

If they refute gay marriage, they should remove all legal benefits of marriage at least as well.

Thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr JB
Again with the needless rude way of speaking to me. {/quote]
Its not rude, its the truth. When you are purposefully twisting my words to portray me in a certain way then I am of course going to take that as an attack against me.

Maybe think before you post, then you wont make the errors you have done. All I can see here is someone who is overly emotional going on a tirade and in the midst of all that, logic has gone out of the window.

And all I did, before you jumped on my opinion, was say that in my opinion marriage should be reserved for the religious and nonbelievers of any sexuality shouldn't be allowed to get married. I dont believe heterosexual atheist men and women should be allowed to get married either. To me, its a religious ceremony with deep rooted religious ties.

Misunderstanding your post is not "purposefully twisting your words" and calling me thick and an idiot is not a fact it is your OPINION. Which is ironic considering you just a couple of posts ago slated my ability to distinguish between facts and opinions.

I have also in no way been emotional in this thread, all I have done in this thread is point out FACTS. And in my initial post and responses to question on my initial post explained my stance on the issue.

Why do you believe that marriage should be reserved ONLY for religious people? Despite the fact marriage pre-dates any religion practised today. Seems illogical to me, but more than happy to listen to your reasoning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 285
Original post by Kyle1198
Out of interest, if there is a girl you want to spend the rest of your life with, would you want it legally recognized?

No. I have no interest in getting married. I'm in a happy relationship with someone now and none of us have plans to get married. We're quite happy together as is.

What would you do then??

Nothing. I don't need a piece of paper to declare my love for someone else.
Reply 286

Misunderstanding your post is not "purposefully twisting your words" and calling me thick and an idiot is not a fact it is your OPINION. Which is ironic considering you just a couple of posts ago slated my ability to distinguish between facts and opinions.

When you purposefully go out of your way to verify that stupidity with your posts, then you consolidate those opinions.

Why do you believe that marriage should be reserved ONLY for religious people? Despite the fact marriage pre-dates any religion practised today. Seems illogical to me, but more than happy to listen to your reasoning.

I've outlined this above already in the thread.
Reply 287
I agree as long as the marriage license is issued by the state not by a religion that is opposed to LGBT community.... got a feeling my opinion isnt popular but ... meh
Original post by Mr JB
When you purposefully go out of your way to verify that stupidity with your posts, then you consolidate those opinions.

I've outlined this above already in the thread.

That first sentence didn't even make sense. And again with the needlessness of calling me stupid.

Sorry for not going and reading every single page of this thread in hopes of finding your answer.

You're a truly awful person to speak to.
Reply 289
That first sentence didn't even make sense. And again with the needlessness of calling me stupid.

It does to people with an IQ over the average European shoe size.

Sorry for not going and reading every single page of this thread in hopes of finding your answer.

It is on this page. Its not exactly going to put you under any great deal of stress to scroll up.

You're a truly awful person to speak to.

The feeling is mutual.
Reply 290
Original post by driftawaay
Because I hate jihadi loonies and she doesnt like my disapproval

What do you mean by jihadi loonies?
I think you have your definition of jihad wrong
Original post by Mr JB
No. I have no interest in getting married. I'm in a happy relationship with someone now and none of us have plans to get married. We're quite happy together as is.

Perhaps you don't. That's fine, and at the moment I'm the same.

Other individuals aren't like us and do want to get married - and in the future you may want that too, even if you wholeheartedly protest now. It's hardly fair to dictate whether they're allowed because "it's not for you". Strikes me as similar to throwing someone's drizzle cake off their plate because you don't like lemon.
Original post by Mr JB

Marriage is more than just a piece of a paper; as someone stated before there are so many legal benefits to marriage, otherwise what's the point of marriage even existing?
Good for you if you don't want to marry, but if one day you do, all I can say is good luck to you because you're going to stuck in a rut. Some do want to be legally recognized and I don't see how marriage should only be religious people, because that's not what marriage is about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr JB
It does to people with an IQ over the average European shoe size.

It is on this page. Its not exactly going to put you under any great deal of stress to scroll up.

The feeling is mutual.

You have crappy attitude.

anyway to answer the thread I'm all for same sex marriage, not like it hurts people
Reply 294
Original post by elen90

Other individuals aren't like us and do want to get married - and in the future you may want that too, even if you wholeheartedly protest now. It's hardly fair to dictate whether they're allowed because "it's not for you". Strikes me as similar to throwing someone's drizzle cake off their plate because you don't like lemon.

Which is why I don't dictate. Have you seen me out in the street with a placard telling people how they must live? No. Have you seen me run as an MP and try to influence policy to control and shape people's lives? No. I let others get on with their lives, whilst still appreciating the fact that I can give my opinion. Giving an opinion is not trying to dictate to people how they should live. The sooner the loony brigade realise this the better. Whether I like it or not these people can still get married, and thats something I'm not going to get up in arms about at all.
Reply 295
Original post by keladry
You have crappy attitude.

I love you too sugarplum.
Original post by YA98
What do you mean by jihadi loonies?
I think you have your definition of jihad wrong

Oh look, a banned member.
Original post by Mr JB
Which is why I don't dictate. Have you seen me out in the street with a placard telling people how they must live? No. Have you seen me run as an MP and try to influence policy to control and shape people's lives? No. I let others get on with their lives, whilst still appreciating the fact that I can give my opinion. Giving an opinion is not trying to dictate to people how they should live. The sooner the loony brigade realise this the better. Whether I like it or not these people can still get married, and thats something I'm not going to get up in arms about at all.

I'm simply countering your viewpoint with my own. A viewpoint which would inhibit the rights of others if realised, which is why I think it is a disputable one.
Reply 298
Original post by driftawaay
Oh look, a banned member.

No not banned. I signed up for TSR today:smile:
Will you answer my question now?
Reply 299
Original post by elen90
I'm simply countering your viewpoint with my own. A viewpoint which would inhibit the rights of others if realised, which is why I think it is a disputable one.

Everything inhibits the right of others. Thats what policy is all about, control. The policy of having to put my **** in the correct coloured bin is control and inhibits my ability to just throw whatever rubbish in one bin and get on with things. The policy of having garbage collections on Tuesday in my local area inhibits my ability to spend Monday night spread out on the couch constantly watching television, because I now have to take the rubbish out so that it can be collected in the morning. The policy of speed limits means that I cant just put my foot down on the motorway. Its all about control and making people fall in line. Welcome to the concept of institutions, regardless of whether they're religious, state or intertwined.

Latest

Trending

Trending