The Student Room Group

Are speed limits +/- 10%?

Scroll to see replies

Speed limit? Speed target. Get to know the area (for cameras and police) and use your judgement. Going 72 rather than 60 on a route is a 20% difference; If your daily commute is an hour one way usually it will now only be 48 minutes, a saving of 12 minutes. You will save almost half an hour each day. Result.
Original post by Jawline?
Er yeah.

If everyone was doing close to the limit and you overtake, you're gonna have to break the limit.

Motorways are designed for speed limits to be broken? Dont be so ridiculous. The fact of the matter is not everyone is doing 70mph in the far left lane in the motorway. HGV's have a speed limit of 60mph, so you can overtake them legally going upto 70mph. I still dont see why you find this funny.
Original post by College_Dropout
Motorways are designed for speed limits to be broken? Dont be so ridiculous. The fact of the matter is not everyone is doing 70mph in the far left lane in the motorway. HGV's have a speed limit of 60mph, so you can overtake them legally going upto 70mph. I still dont see why you find this funny.

They are. The left lane is for lorries, the middle for 70 mph, the overtaking lane for those whose time is valuable.That is what the Driving Theory books officially tell you.
Original post by i<3milkshake
They are. The left lane is for lorries, the middle for 70 mph, the overtaking lane for those whose time is valuable.That is what the Driving Theory books officially tell you.

You failed your theory right?
You failed your theory right?

No. Passed it. Speed doesn't kill people; old age does. Make sure you drive quickly because more people die due to old age than speed.

Actually scrap that. I'm wrong. Amendment;
People who have paid for nice cars should be allowed to speed. It is wrong having a fast car and keeping it cooped up with the corsas and the golfs. Let it race along the motorways.
No. Passed it. Speed doesn't kill people; old age does. Make sure you drive quickly because more people die due to old age than speed.

Actually scrap that. I'm wrong. Amendment;
People who have paid for nice cars should be allowed to speed. It is wrong having a fast car and keeping it cooped up with the corsas and the golfs. Let it race along the motorways.

Whats wrong with Golfs?
Whats wrong with Golfs?

If you have a fast one nothing. If you have a cheap one then you shouldn't drive fast. A gold driving at 70 is fine, 7/10 of its top speed, a Porsche 911 driving at 70 is keeping it at around 35% of its top speed. Like caging a beautiful tiger. Let it roam free.
If you have a fast one nothing. If you have a cheap one then you shouldn't drive fast. A gold driving at 70 is fine, 7/10 of its top speed, a Porsche 911 driving at 70 is keeping it at around 35% of its top speed. Like caging a beautiful tiger. Let it roam free.

Why is a nice car defined by its top speed?
Original post by LatexLover
As far as i know all speeding offences carry points

Here is something for you to work out

if you are travelling from Nottingham to London by car a distance of 128 miles and you travel at the speed limit vs 10% above it you will only save yourself approximately 10 - 12 minutes over a journey of 2 hrs 34 minutes

However you will expose yourself to increased risk of prosecution, accidents, and also increased stress levels over the journey time due to other slower cars (at the limit) being in your way etc.

The limits are there for a reason, not all of them for a good reason, but most of them

yeah, but if you cruise sefely at 90mph, and your mate dawdles along getting in the way of the lorries at 60mph, you get there ~45 minutes before him as well as being far safer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending