The Student Room Group

Why are more people becoming Vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

That whole thing wasn't even relevant to my point, the point was that I think some people become veggies to fit in with social norms and trends, not because they care about animals.
I'd be vegetarian if my parents would allow it :lol:

Not really for the sake of farm animals, but because it's better for the environment and body.
Original post by PrimeEpoch
That whole thing wasn't even relevant to my point, the point was that I think some people become veggies to fit in with social norms and trends, not because they care about animals.

So you are saying that being a vegetarian is considered a social norm?
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
So you are saying that being a vegetarian is considered a social norm?

Not really, you should read my original post.
I can't really say most with no stats to back myself up with, so some.
You know what I'm trying to say though, being pedantic doesn't really accomplish much.
I can't really say most with no stats to back myself up with, so some.

In my personal opinion, some people become veggie for the right reasons. My best friend is a veggie, and she has been for a really long time, but for all the right reasons though. I think more people are becoming veggie because they want to look like they have morals, which seems to be a trend. This is also the main cause of radical feminism, where people argue about 'issues' for the sake of winning an argument or feeling better about their own person, not for the sake of resolving an actual issue. People like Anita Sarkeesian are great examples of this. Point being, people pretend to have morals to try and fit in to the social norm, but many of them wouldn't support these things otherwise.

That sounds a bit strange. That either implies that you shouldn't turn into a vegetarian because of that, for the reason that people become vegetarian to seem to have morals, or that the intention of becoming a vegetarian on those grounds is a bad thing. If people choose to become vegetarians to pretend to have morals then at least they contribute towards the main goal, we don't want to know if they genuine morals. They won't be assessed for that.
That sounds a bit strange. That either implies that you shouldn't turn into a vegetarian because of that, for the reason that people become vegetarian to seem to have morals, or that the intention of becoming a vegetarian on those grounds is a bad thing. If people choose to become vegetarians to pretend to have morals then at least they contribute towards the main goal, we don't want to know if they genuine morals. They won't be assessed for that.

Not saying it's positive or negative, but I see where you're coming from. I mean I've noticed people that pretend to hold values or morals that they don't actually hold.
I'm saying that a lot of the newer veggies are probably the people who I described, but I'm making no claim as to the numbers. We're talking about it being a trend after all.
Not saying it's positive or negative, but I see where you're coming from. I mean I've noticed people that pretend to hold values or morals that they don't actually hold.

I don't think that's true but, even if it was true, why would they restrict their diet with difficulty as to show moral values if anybody got to know they were vegetarians? It seems that you would think that anyway regardless of the intention of the individual though.
I was just thinking that but we assume that he's assumption is right.
I was talking about my opinion. Jesus, didn't expect to be interrogated for my opinion :l
I was talking about my opinion. Jesus, didn't expect to be interrogated for my opinion :l

Just before we leave this point, it would be nice to see what is considered as a social norm for people to adopt to that norm.

Here
Just before we leave this point, it would be nice to see what is considered as a social norm for people to adopt to that norm.

Here

I'm getting seriously bored of this thread, I'm leaving it there for good.
I'm getting seriously bored of this thread, I'm leaving it there for good.

I hope you've looked at the percentages.
I hope you've looked at the percentages.

I really can't be bothered, and it doesn't interest me too much. I'd rather not.
I really can't be bothered, and it doesn't interest me too much. I'd rather not.

It would be nice to pretend not.
It would be nice to pretend not.

So you would rather I lied to you is what you're saying? Right, ok.
Because avocado

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SCIENCE :D
An increasing number of people I know seem to be turning to vegetarianism, is it fashionable to become vegetarian now, or are peoples morals changing?

Personally I think more people are just becoming aware of the sustainability issues around eating meat. It's pretty much the easiest behavioural way to cut down on your emissions.

Plus its increasingly easy to eat good vegetarian food now as more and more meat alternatives and vegetarian restaurants open. It's not really putting yourself out at all.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending