The Student Room Group

religious people- If you found out that your religion wasn't...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Wadeca
I'm a christian and if I died and it turned out there wasn't a God, either:
b) I'd still feel I'd spent a happy and fulfilled life doing my best to love and care for others and have fun.
But what if there was a god, and he was angry because you'd been worshipping a false god, and exacted some fearsome punishment upon you?

BTW, you don't need to be religious to love and care for others and have fun. You can do those things because you feel it's the right thing to do, not because you've been told that you'll be punished/rewarded.
Reply 101
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I used to study Physics at AS level. It was a subject I was not really good in, but I did it any way because I felt it was an important subject which would help me get into the university course I wanted (chemical engineering).

I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all.
I would suggest that the sceptics approach fits this scenario the best. Expanding your horizons through knowledge, reason and exploration, rather than accepting assertions of absolute certainty without evidence.
Reply 102
Original post by HAnwar
I don't believe it would, so I can't really answer your question sorry.
Why is it so difficult to explore a hypothetical situation? Surely that is the basis of how we expand our knowledge and push back the restrictive boundaries of comfortable certainty?

Ah...
Original post by QE2
I would suggest that the sceptics approach fits this scenario the best. Expanding your horizons through knowledge, reason and exploration, rather than accepting assertions of absolute certainty without evidence.
Well, if I conscientiously researched on what was the best AS level combination of subjects, and still reached the conclusion that Physics was the best, then I guess I couldn't have done it better any other way. It is not as if I decided to study physics just because my cousin who studied chemical engineering did it.
Reply 104
Original post by HAnwar
That's for God to decide.
What does he say will happen to them in the Quran, because as that book is perfect and immutable, that is what will happen to them, for sure.

If you don't know what it says, I can tell you, if you like.
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
Firstly please do not use sources such as WikiIslam that contains inaccurate information and is an online resource that anyone can edit. In fact as soon as I opened the link a message came up: This page is currently under review and may not fully comply with our content guidelines
In its present state, the views expressed here may not reflect the views of WikiIslam. This notice will be removed once the page has been reviewed and/or updated. Please help us in reviewing this article."

So please find a different source. Surely if what you say is factually correct, you'll find more reliable websites to link me up?

Nonsense. Wikiislam is not an inaccurate source, as I mentioned, it references everything with quotes from the Qur'an, so how about you highlight exactly where and how it's being inaccurate?

Rubbish, people often use this "anyone can edit" excuse when it comes to wikipedia, but it is simply futile. If you try and edit something on a wikipedia article without providing sound sources you will find that the change will be removed pretty quickly. Go ahead, try it. And needless to say, wikipedia articles list all of their sources that anyone can thoroughly investigate.

In any case, other links are going to list the exact same errors:

https://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/SKM/contradictions.htm

http://www.billionbibles.org/sharia/errors-in-quran.html

http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Contra/

Regarding Keith Moore being paid by Saudi Universities, I'm not aware of this and this is the first time I've heard it and I therefore can't comment, do you have some sort of reliable link, possibly a video or something that shows this?

It's on his wikipedia article, he worked at King Abdulaziz University

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_L._Moore

Keith Moore has probably been the only non-muslim embryologist in history to say that Quranic embryology is miraculous and Islamic apologists love him for that. The funny thing is though, after he stopped being paid by King Abdulaziz University, he conveniently changed his mind on the Quranic embryology. In his latest edition of the "Developing Human" 8 years ago, he highlighted how Quranic embryology (and medieval understanding in general) was erroneous.

It's also rather amusing that muslims keep linking him as an advocate of the miracles. If he found the miracles so convincing why has he never converted to Islam? :holmes:

Something I can comment on is the way the foetus is described in the Quran. You're right, it's described as the word "Alaqah" in Arabic, this translates for 3 different things, 2 of which you've stated.
1) Blood Clot
2) Suspended (to be hanging from something)
3) Leech

However you're wrong, they're not utterly incorrect, here is why:

Hmm, you conveniently ignored the video I posted where your own fellow muslims reject the scientific miracles claim, perhaps you'd like to watch it.

1) Blood clot- In the 3rd week of embryonic development a tubular heart joins with the blood vessels to form a primary cardiovascular system. And by the end of the 3rd week, the blood is circulating and the heart begins to beat on day 21.

Seriously? You're not being serious are you?

How does blood circulating inside a foetus and the heart beginning to pump = a blood clot?

My heart is pumping and blood is circulating in my body, doesn't make me a blood clot! So that's an error, right there.

2) Suspended- this refers to the umbilical cord, but we can't use this as an example because Suspended refers to step 2, before the baby has even formed. But we now know today that the umbilical cord is formed from the connecting stalk, which is formed as soon as the embryo is formed. This connecting stalk has even been described by John Allen and Beverly Kramer, as an object to "suspend" the developing embryo in the extra embryonic coelom.

A tenuous link if I ever I saw one and even if it were correct, it's not miraculous. Anyone can see when a baby is born that it has an umbilical chord attached linking it to the mother.

3) Leech- If you look at the structure of an embryo in 25 days, and compare it to a leech, they look nearly identical. You can then look at an X-Ray of an embryo and compare it to that of a leech, and you will find that the internal structure of that is extremely similar. Also, the head of the embryo at 22 days looks identical to the back suckers of a leech.

This is simply false. While the physical resemblance between an embryo at 25 days may be vaguely similar to a leech, it is not identical and the function of both is completely different. And how convenient that it only applies to an embryo in the very early stages of development and not later, when any questionable resemblance is gone. Does the Qur'an make this temporal distinction?

Leeches are protostomes, human embryos are deuteurosomes. (It's a bad metaphor already). Leeches don't have notochords, pharyngeal arches etcetera that human embryos have, so no, the structure is not similar, it's completely different.

The structure of an embryo is impossible to have been known in the 7th century desert. Or even predicted by the human mind. Only with today's technology can we compare the structure of an embryo to a leech.

That is blatantly false, and if you had watched the video you would have seen your own fellow muslims saying this is false. The ancient greeks had already studied embryology and the writer(s) of the Qur'an simply used the available knowledge and thus it contained many of the same errors made by the Greeks.

And how exactly would it have been impossible to know what an embryo looked like? You think no woman ever miscarried early and gave birth to an undeveloped foetus? You think no woman was ever cut open to observe this?

If so, then you are truly deluded.

I'm not trying to create a heated debate here, but don't you think it's at least worth considering? This is also just one of the many other scientific features of the Quran.

I have considered it and the evidence still clearly points to the fact that the information about human embryology is hopelessly wrong. The Qur'an contains not one iota of original (previously unknown) or precise, reproducible science.

You have also conveniently ignored the omission of the female ovum and the error about where sperm comes from.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by i<3milkshake
How many Christians in the UK or America show religious intolerance? Few. Most don't care. In the modern civilised world most Christians, Jews, Sikhs, Agnostics, Hindus, Buddhists, etc don't hold those of other faiths in contempt. In the past yes people cared, and one religion in particular still does, but on the whole most people don't actually care. That is my view anyway, agree to disagree.

And religious texts say a lot; again, most don't believe them to be the literal word of god and think they should be literally true. The bible talks of stoning; how many Christian nations do it? The Koran talks of stoning-and Muslims are much, MUCH more for Shariah law and so on than Christians.
So again, in my view the religious text argument is flawed. It is a fair point against those who believe the religious texts to be literally the word of God, but many do not.

And not all religious people spend "countless hours" praying. I mean just because a few people may dedicate their lives to God, a few may die for God, doesn't mean all religious people spend their days praying. So again, I disagree. You haven't really saved countless hours at all over religious people. Praying for many can simply be a few seconds each day. Setting your alarm 30 seconds earlier in the morning gets you back this oh so precious time. Speeding up your shower or not browsing the internet on your phone whilst on the toilet can save you much more time. So again, I disagree. Each to their own, but I think you are the naive and misinformed one.

Naive for thinking that most people in the UK of the aforementioned faiths really care that much about holy wars.
Naive and misinformed for thinking that religious people in the UK of the aforementioned groups take their holy book to be the literal word of God and thus they must follow it precisely, religious intolerance and the rest. If people did they would never work on a Sunday, not wear clothes of more than four materials and not eat bacon. But many do.
Naive and misinformed for thinking that religious people as a general rule in the UK spend more than a few seconds each day praying. If your time is really that precious, speed up your shower and bowel movement.

Where's your evidence? You don't seem to be basing this on much. I'd say quite a lot of Americans could display religious intolerance. Oh just the one religion with 1.6 billion followers, that's okay then... I'm also guessing you've never visited N. Ireland or Glasgow for that matter either?

Your second point regarding the bible being taken literally is again... very misinformed. In Christianity, worshiping a false god is one of the 10 commandments... not something people can simply ignore or interpret in a different way. You've heard of the 10 commandments right? Which actually are meant to be the words of god? And must be followed precisely?

I never claimed that all religious people pray constantly. Simply that they have wasted countless hours of their lives if it turns out it was the wrong god or there wasn't one. Many muslims for example pray 5 times a day tallying up to around half an hour a day... everyday... for years. I'll let you do the math. It's pretty clear that you're taking a very insular view regarding this. Just because what you're saying applies to YOU doesn't mean it does to everybody else.

And I haven't even mentioned a whole host of other liberties given up in the name of religion. Certain foods, a persons sexuality, a persons sex life in general... ****ING CIRCUMCISION. I would love to the see the face of a circumcised man when he realises he was mutilated at birth for pretty much no reason.

But please.. continue on how religious people haven't lost out if all that was for nothing...
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Where's your evidence? You don't seem to be basing this on much. I'd say quite a lot of Americans could display religious intolerance. Oh just the one religion with 1.6 billion followers, that's okay then... I'm also guessing you've never visited N. Ireland or Glasgow for that matter either?
Where is your evidence? You don't seem to be basing your argument on much.

Your second point regarding the bible being taken literally is again... very misinformed. In Christianity, worshiping a false god is one of the 10 commandments... not something people can simply ignore or interpret in a different way. You've heard of the 10 commandments right? Which actually are meant to be the words of god? And must be followed precisely?
Complete bull. Not all people think the bible, or some parts, are the direct word of god. Already argued this quite clearly. You've heard of passing stories down verbally right? Cool.

I never claimed that all religious people pray constantly. Simply that they have wasted countless hours of their lives if it turns out it was the wrong god or there wasn't one. Many muslims for example pray 5 times a day tallying up to around half an hour a day... everyday... for years. I'll let you do the math. It's pretty clear that you're taking a very insular view regarding this. Just because what you're saying applies to YOU doesn't mean it does to everybody else.
Countless hours? You have wasted countless hours of your life getting all upset because religous people choose to believe something. And again, many people don't pray that often (oh wait, I mentioned that). If your time is soooo important speed up your showers and get off TSR?

And I haven't even mentioned a whole host of other liberties given up in the name of religion. Certain foods, a persons sexuality, a persons sex life in general... ****ING CIRCUMCISION. I would love to the see the face of a circumcised man when he realises he was mutilated at birth for pretty much no reason.
What you take pleasure in is strange. A hobby is very much needed.

But please.. continue on how religious people haven't lost out if all that was for nothing...

Yeah, religious people have lost out on SO. MUCH. Many religious people would say that;
They can part of a community (which is good). This can provide friends, people to be around on Christmas, people to be around for rites of passage, provide support to each other, etc.

They can try and live a moral life, helping others, as they believe that is their duty. They can have a clear conscience in their life.

I could go on. Don't think I need to. A religious person spending some time praying but being part of a community with other people are probably better than the atheists with a chip on their shoulder on here taking perverse pleasures in people dying. Strange folk. Perhaps a bit of religion could give them more positive hobbies, goals and desires in their life. I mean being atheist is fine, as is believing in a God/Gods, but the chip on some peoples' shoulder is hilarious.

And how do you really know there is no God? You don't. So acting like you are so, so sure about this when you are the misinformed one is hilarious. No one on here, religious or atheist, can be sure what happens when we die. No one. But there is one group who seems to think that they have all the answers. Unless you are dead you don't know, and if you don't know you are misinformed. Have an opinion by all means, but drop the smug chip on your shoulder until you have some actual proof perhaps? Or don't, and just spend your evenings wishing to see the face of dead circumcised men. I don't mind either way./
Yeah, religious people have lost out on SO. MUCH. Many religious people would say that;
They can part of a community (which is good). This can provide friends, people to be around on Christmas, people to be around for rites of passage, provide support to each other, etc.

They can try and live a moral life, helping others, as they believe that is their duty. They can have a clear conscience in their life.

I could go on. Don't think I need to. A religious person spending some time praying but being part of a community with other people are probably better than the atheists with a chip on their shoulder on here taking perverse pleasures in people dying. Strange folk. Perhaps a bit of religion could give them more positive hobbies, goals and desires in their life. I mean being atheist is fine, as is believing in a God/Gods, but the chip on some peoples' shoulder is hilarious.

And how do you really know there is no God? You don't. So acting like you are so, so sure about this when you are the misinformed one is hilarious. No one on here, religious or atheist, can be sure what happens when we die. No one. But there is one group who seems to think that they have all the answers. Unless you are dead you don't know, and if you don't know you are misinformed. Have an opinion by all means, but drop the smug chip on your shoulder until you have some actual proof perhaps? Or don't, and just spend your evenings wishing to see the face of dead circumcised men. I don't mind either way./

Wow **** this site. Just wrote a long post explaining what a fool you are and it didn't even work.

I'll try again but streamline it this time.

Yes I actually use evidence unlike some. http://www.globalresearch.ca/demonizing-muslims-america-s-worldwide-witch-hunt/30514

'Complete bull. Not all people think the bible, or some parts, are the direct word of god. Already argued this quite clearly. You've heard of passing stories down verbally right? Cool.'

Wow, you are a genuine idiot aren't you? As I said, not worshiping a false god was one of the 10 commandments, which yes was the word of god:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made" (Jn.1:1-3 NIV).
(edited 8 years ago)
'Complete bull. Not all people think the bible, or some parts, are the direct word of god. Already argued this quite clearly. You've heard of passing stories down verbally right? Cool.'

Wow, you are a genuine idiot aren't you? As I said, not worshiping a false god was one of the 10 commandments, which yes was the word of god:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made" (Jn.1:1-3 NIV).

Oh, some guy who fantasises about a circumcised man dying so you can see his face doesn't understand that not all people believe these things to be the literal word of god?
Who would have thought it. Man with strange (possibly sexual) fantasies is being strange. Nice dodge about all the points about a community as well, and how they help people have better hobbies than bitter hating of other people and perverse desires and goals. Wow, you really do need a better hobby. Genuine idiot indeed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, some guy who fantasises about a circumcised man dying so you can see his face doesn't understand that not all people believe these things to be the literal word of god?
Who would have thought it. Man with strange (possibly sexual) fantasies is being strange. Nice dodge about all the points about a community as well, and how they help people have better hobbies than bitter hating of other people and perverse desires and goals. Wow, you really do need a better hobby. Genuine idiot indeed.

For some reason TSR isn't allowing my post to actually post... I actually wrote a detailed post explaining what a complete and utter moron you are. I'll have to try again later cause I really cba doing it for a third time right now.

But in the mean time keep making snide remarks over what was a clear joke, (not to mention I never said anything about imagining people die, but keep showing what absolute retard you are) ignoring my actual points regarding baby mutilation as well as people sacrificing their own personalities and desires for their religion,

Oh and finally, read the ****ing title of the thread. The one that specifically asks us to think of the hypothetical situation where God does not exist. Then you question why someone is doing just that?

I mean WOW, just wow.

As for needing a better hobbie...You've posted a thousand times in 3 months... I think it is you who needs a hobbie.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
Yes! That was the point I was trying to get across. Muslims are told to pray 5 times a day which would have summed up to about at least a couple of years gone to waste throughout their lifetime..

And If they found out that God isn't real then...

Except that prayer has been found to have tangible mental health benefits. Irrespective of whether or not prayer actually 'works' it still doesn't make it a waste of time.
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
The Quran contains no contradictions, no scientific errors and no mistakes.

Can you find me one scientific error and quote where in the Quran it is located?

Keith L. Moore is a professor emeritus in the division of anatomy, In the university of Toronto, Canada.
He says that the Quran contains the description of full embryonic development, which was revealed in the 7th century AD. As far as embryology is concerned, little or nothing was known about the classification of embryonic development until the 20th century. He therefore quotes that "For this reason, the description of the human embryo in the Quran cannot be based on scientific knowledge in the 7th century. The only reasonable conclusion is that these descriptions were revealed to Mohammed from God. He could not have known such details for he was an illiterate man with absolutely no scientific training."

Now I'm not trying to prove Islam correct, but this is just one of the many scientific explanations in the Quran that could not have been known in the past. If that doesn't come across to you as something worth looking into, then I don't know what is.

1) Allah thinks sperm comes from the back area near the kidneys LOL LOL

Allah says: "So let man see from what he is created. He is created from a water gushing forth - proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs" [Sûrah al-Târiq: 5-7]

2) He thought the sun sets in murky water lol

Qur’an 18:83-86—And they ask you about Dhul-Qarnain. Say: “I shall recite to you something of his story.” Verily, We established him in the earth, and We gave him the means of everything. So he followed a way. Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun, he found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water. And he found near it a people.

Sunan Abu Dawud 3991—Abu Dharr said: I was sitting behind the Apostle of Allah who was riding a donkey while the sun was setting. He asked: Do you know where this sets? I replied: Allah and his Apostle know best. He said: It sets in a spring of warm water.

I googled to find more and will link you to this fun discussion.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=21756.0

There are numerous scientific inaccuracies in all of the scripture. I look forward to your mental gymnastics for the above two however :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
For some reason TSR isn't allowing my post to actually post... I actually wrote a detailed post explaining what a complete and utter moron you are. I'll have to try again later cause I really cba doing it for a third time right now.
The moron sounds like the guy who can't even use a keyboard. I mean put a couple of monkeys in a room and they may eventually create Shakespeare but you after many attempts can't even produce a simple post.
I won't lose any sleep being called a moron by the biggest moron of them all.
But in the mean time keep making snide remarks over what was a clear joke, (not to mention I never said anything about imagining people die, but keep showing what absolute retard you are) ignoring my actual points regarding baby mutilation as well as people sacrificing their own personalities and desires for their religion,
Calm down sweetie:h: did a bad man touch your weenie when you were little and make you very angry to this day?:h:

Oh and finally, read the ****ing title of the thread. The one that specifically asks us to think of the hypothetical situation where God does not exist. Then you question why someone is doing just that?

I mean WOW, just wow.

No. Questioning why god does not exist is fine, but the smug and perverse pleasure some have on here in bashing religion is perplexing. When it gets to the point that people are spending their evenings hoping to see the face of a deceased circumcised man...wow indeed.
Original post by loveleest
right after you died, how would you honestly feel? I am just wondering because there are at least 5 other religions than your own and if you die and find out it wasn't the 'correct' one would you feel as if you wasted your time? or would you still be okay with it?

maybe
i wouldnt be okay with it cause i wasted my life worshiping *peeep*
and i would feel okay about it cause now i feel its right and now i feel it makes sense
No. Questioning why god does not exist is fine, but the smug and perverse pleasure some have on here in bashing religion is perplexing. When it gets to the point that people are spending their evenings hoping to see the face of a deceased circumcised man...wow indeed.

And once again you say absolutely nothing of substance :lol: I don't think you've actually managed to provide one single credible argument refuting any of my points? And you're STILL refusing to comment on baby mutilation and the treatment of gays by religion?

Then again you are the person who claims that at least a billion people praying at least 3 hours a week.. "isn't that many" :rofl: :rofl:

Please keep this up because it is comedy gold. Me and a couple of my pals are reading this and laughing our arses of at your stupidity.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
1) Allah thinks sperm comes from the back area near the kidneys LOL LOL

Allah says: "So let man see from what he is created. He is created from a water gushing forth - proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs" [Sûrah al-Târiq: 5-7]

There are numerous scientific inaccuracies in all of the scripture. I look forward to your mental gymnastics for the above two however :rolleyes:

The above is correct according to the contemporary thinking regarding anatomy. It tends to suggest that this part of the Koran at least was not inspired by the word of God but by man.

The logic being that man believed at the time that this was correct, but god of course would not. So while the Koran and Bible may have other scientific or archaeological points that strengthen their argument, this is a good example for why you can't take the whole text (for any religion) literally. And indeed many do not. Islam as the problem that many do, but what can you do.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I used to study Physics at AS level. It was a subject I was not really good in, but I did it any way because I felt it was an important subject which would help me get into the university course I wanted (chemical engineering).

I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all.

What if you didn't get into university and if only you had studied English Literature (instead of physics) you would have got in?

I take you get that i refer to heaven as university and english as the correct religion.

Also, going along with the OP. What if there wasn't an afterlife and you lived life with limits (religious restrictions) rather than without them?

I believe in an afterlife, but i was just going along with the situation that the Original post suggested.
And once again you say absolutely nothing of substance :lol: I don't think you've actually managed to provide one single credible argument refuting any of my points? And you're STILL refusing to comment on baby mutilation and the treatment of gays by religion?
What has the treatment of gays or circumcision got to do with religion being true? Nothing at all. Nice argument lol. Genuis logic; a kid gets circumcised-god can't exist.

Then again you are the person who claims that at least a billion people praying at least 3 hours a week.. "isn't that many" :rofl: :rofl:

Please keep this up because it is comedy gold. Me and a couple of my pals are reading this and laughing our arses of at your stupidity.

You have some sad, sad friends. Sitting around on TSR, getting weirdly upset about religion. I mean you didged my point about being part of a community being a huge benefit; perhaps if you were part of a community of some kind you wouldn't spend your evenings being irrationally worked up by religion and having the weird wish to see the face of a dead circumcised man.
You have some sad, sad friends. Sitting around on TSR, getting weirdly upset about religion. I mean you didged my point about being part of a community being a huge benefit; perhaps if you were part of a community of some kind you wouldn't spend your evenings being irrationally worked up by religion and having the weird wish to see the face of a dead circumcised man.

We don't. But I just had to show them your posts because it was truly unbelievable. Yes being part of a community can be a huge benefit. Not exactly true though is it? You just claimed that not many people pray. But now all of a sudden everyone's a church goer? Make your mind up... You really are clutching at straws. Wait, are you circumsiced? hahahaha is that why you're being so bitter about that joke?

Even if it was my weird wish, still a hell of a lot better than being a potential rapist...

Some of my teachers/lecturers over the years have been flirt-worthy.However, I was unable to have any success with them. My motto was in such a situation "if at first you don't succeed, try and try until you think you will get a restraining order".My failure was not due to lack of effort, believe me.

You truly are a disturbed individual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending