The Student Room Group

Equilibria

In an equilibrium, does an exothermic reaction actually favour lower temperatures? Or is it that lower temperatures just have much more of an affect on the endothermic reaction?
When a system in equilibrium is subject to a decrease in temperature, it will shift to increase the temperature, by favouring the reaction that releases the most amount of heat :smile:

So at a lower temperature, equilibrium will shift to favour the exothermic reaction. I think you just got that the other way round.

Hope this clears things
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by enaayrah
When a system in equilibrium is subject to a decrease in temperature, it will shift to increase the temperature, by favouring the reaction that releases the most amount of heat :smile:

So at a lower temperature, equilibrium will shift to favour the exothermic reaction. I think you just got that the other way round.

Hope this clears things

I'm talking more about the individual forwards reaction than the equilibrium.We already know from chandelier's rule (I don't know how to spell his name lol) that the equilibrium will oppose the change, but I'm more interested in the reasons behind it. Thanks though :smile:
Original post by PrimeEpoch
I'm talking more about the individual forwards reaction than the equilibrium.We already know from chandelier's rule (I don't know how to spell his name lol) that the equilibrium will oppose the change, but I'm more interested in the reasons behind it. Thanks though :smile:

What is your exam board for Chemistry?
Reply 4
Original post by Chittesh14
What is your exam board for Chemistry?

Edexcel, but I'm asking for an essay instead of a practice question :smile:
Edexcel, but I'm asking for an essay instead of a practice question :smile:

No, I wasn't asking because of this thread lol. I was asking because I thought you might do the same exam board as me :biggrin:.
Reply 6
No, I wasn't asking because of this thread lol. I was asking because I thought you might do the same exam board as me :biggrin:.

Oh right lol, so do I?
Oh right lol, so do I?

Nope :/.
Reply 8
Nope :/.

Oh well lol
In an equilibrium, does an exothermic reaction actually favour lower temperatures? Or is it that lower temperatures just have much more of an affect on the endothermic reaction?

Both. The endothermic route of the reaction would be "retarded" (less reactants would remain in equilibrium), and the exothermic route would be favoured (more products are made).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest