The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are benefits still too generous in the UK?

Considering we attract migrants from relatively poorer countries like Romania, Latvia, Poland etc

List of benefits people are eligible to receive:
- Child benefit
- Tax credits
- JSA
- Housing benefits
etc etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates

Considering we attract migrants from relatively poorer countries like Romania, Latvia, Poland etc

List of benefits people are eligible to receive:
- Child benefit
- Tax credits
- JSA
- Housing benefits
etc etc

Benefits for foreign people or benefits for British citizens?
Reply 2
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Benefits for foreign people or benefits for British citizens?

Well it's both the same. EU Brah!
Well it's both the same. EU Brah!

I thought the tory rooneys had brought in some new law that restricted access to certain benefits or does that not apply to people coming from within the EU?
Reply 4
I thought the tory rooneys had brought in some new law that restricted access to certain benefits or does that not apply to people coming from within the EU?

Believe it was only for outside of the EU i believe.
Google Cheryl Prudham.

Some people can still take the piss, namely because the state will throw money and council homes at anyone who has kids.

If you are a single person on benefits, you have a tough time. A single disabled person a real tough time.
If you are a scrounging waste of space all you have to do is open your legs and lie still for about ten minutes to let the local chav knock you up and there you go, a nice income and house. No mortgage comes with it. Want a bigger house and income? Forget an education or promotion, just have another kid. Anyone who thinks this doesn't happen needs to go around and see council estates.
Believe it was only for outside of the EU i believe.

Original post by i<3milkshake
Google Cheryl Prudham.

Some people can still take the piss, namely because the state will throw money and council homes at anyone who has kids.

If you are a single person on benefits, you have a tough time. A single disabled person a real tough time.
If you are a scrounging waste of space all you have to do is open your legs and lie still for about ten minutes to let the local chav knock you up and there you go, a nice income and house. No mortgage comes with it. Want a bigger house and income? Forget an education or promotion, just have another kid. Anyone who thinks this doesn't happen needs to go around and see council estates.

+1
The problem isn't the benefits themselves, it's who gets the money and how much. Plenty of people who need the money through no fault of their own either don't get it or don't get enough and have to struggle just to afford to live, whilst people who don't deserve it like those people who just abuse the system get paid more and can live comfortably without having any worries about money. They need to change it so that the money actually goes to the right people, that's the problem with them.
Reply 9
The welfare system is very unsustainable. I believe people who drink and drug themselves to a vegetative state should not get help from the state.

Depression is the worst. I have family who were depressed but they didn't run to the state to get ******** payouts every day for years.

Then there is the fact you have a kid and you get the world at your feet

Welfare needs to be toughened more than it has been.

I welcome the current changes but it is not enough.
Depends on who gets them really, a lot of people do fraud with it and these people clearly dont need it but poorer people need them
Original post by RX-94-Harley
The problem isn't the benefits themselves, it's who gets the money and how much. Plenty of people who need the money through no fault of their own either don't get it or don't get enough and have to struggle just to afford to live, whilst people who don't deserve it like those people who just abuse the system get paid more and can live comfortably without having any worries about money. They need to change it so that the money actually goes to the right people, that's the problem with them.

This
Google Cheryl Prudham.

So true - nail on the head with this post!

:biggrin:
Google Cheryl Prudham.

Greatly put; love the humour :biggrin: " lie still for about ten minutes to let the local chav knock you up" cracked me up lmao
Original post by Imperion
Greatly put; love the humour :biggrin: " lie still for about ten minutes to let the local chav knock you up" cracked me up lmao

Thank you. However, I don't laugh for these things. It is too sorry a state of affairs to laugh at.
Thank you. However, I don't laugh for these things. It is too sorry a state of affairs to laugh at.

Understandable.

Spoiler

I think the benefits system is a mess, some people have been allowed to abuse benefits and others who rightfully deserve benefits have been declared 'fit to work' when it clearly isn't the case. I think the problem is with the allocation of benefits rather than the amount given out.
Reply 18
Original post by Gears265
The welfare system is very unsustainable. I believe people who drink and drug themselves to a vegetative state should not get help from the state.

Depression is the worst. I have family who were depressed but they didn't run to the state to get ******** payouts every day for years.

Then there is the fact you have a kid and you get the world at your feet

Welfare needs to be toughened more than it has been.

I welcome the current changes but it is not enough.

A drug or alcohol addiction is a MENTAL ILLNESS! You are not in control of it! Yes it is possible to get clean, but that takes an awful lot of support. This usually involves help from the state via the NHS.

Obviously some people with addictions are unable to work. They therefore should get help from the state to support them whilst they recover. This can take years. Some people don't recover.

Depression is an absolutely terrible illness. Some people with severe depression cannot work. They need intensive care and support to get better. They need to not have to worry about how they're going to pay their rent.

One child in five grows up in poverty in the UK. Most of these are in single parent families. This is not because of "irresponsible" women, it is because many women (and it usually is the mother who is the primary caregiver) find that their partners leave. Often they are low skilled and end up unemployed or on the minimum wage. The state needs to support these families because the alternative does not bear thinking about.

Most benefits go to families who are in work. Many go to old age pensioners and disabled people. What the government has done has plunged countless people into poverty. We now have foodbanks in this country because parents cannot afford to feed their children. How is this right and fair in one of the richest nations on the planet.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gears265

I'd rather they get some money than seeing crime rates EXPLODE because the druggies and alchies are scavenging for their next fix. No thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending