The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elliemayxo
I've explained this too many times on TSR. If God wanted gay men then he would of created two men instead of a man and a woman.

But guess what? A woman and a man were created because they can conceive, and it's the natural way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your religious beliefs don't outweigh the human right of two people who love each other to get married. Especially when the reasoning for said beliefs, in this case, are proven false by science. I completely respect your right to be religious, but religion doesn't outweigh the right to marry the person you love.
Original post by i<3milkshake
So if I want to marry my cousin/brother is that ok? I am male, so are they, so no kids can be produced. I mean if "love is love" and if "two people love each other" is all that is needed why can't I marry into my family?

Because that is sick? People say the same about gay marriage.
Because the family might not like it? Families can be against gay marriage to, but in that case it is irrelevant.

If gay marriage is ok because two consenting adults love each other is all that matters, why can't I marry my family?

My view; Gay marriage should be allowed but the people who don't like it should not be forced to. Since when was it fair that gay people are allowed to be themselves but anti-gays can't?

Anti-gays should not discriminate against gays in jobs, housing, in public etc-these are civil rights. HOWEVER, in social settings they should be able to have their views without Nazis attacking them. Same goes for incest. Be free to do what you want, but others will be free to ostracise you.

You can't marry your family because of all the genetic problems that arise from inbreeding...
Original post by elliemayxo
I've explained this too many times on TSR. If God wanted gay men then he would of created two men instead of a man and a woman.

But guess what? A woman and a man were created because they can conceive, and it's the natural way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do people still believe in that fairytale?
I'm all up for same-sex marriages, however what I do want is for opposite-sex marriage to be made illegal!!! C'mon it's Adam and Steve not Adam and Eve, how do straight people even have sex???
Original post by abruiseonthesky
You can't marry your family because of all the genetic problems that arise from inbreeding...

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but can't you read? I don't think two guys can have kids together...
I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but at least read and use common sense ffs. I mean two guys CAN. NOT. HAVE. KIDS. I made this clear in my post didn't I.
I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but can't you read? I don't think two guys can have kids together...
I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but at least read and use common sense ffs. I mean two guys CAN. NOT. HAVE. KIDS. I made this clear in my post didn't I.

oh sorry I just went straight for the inbreeding ahah I'm gonna blame it on a week's worth of insomnia :wink: Sorry!
oh sorry I just went straight for the inbreeding ahah I'm gonna blame it on a week's worth of insomnia :wink: Sorry!

No problem. For me, this is the problem with debating gay marriage. People just respond on auto-pilot and trot out the cliche responses. No offence, in all sincerity.

Original post by Gears265
Why would you care? I hardly know any Gay people and even if I did, them getting married would not change my life one bit. I couldn't give a **** if they got married or not, why would it be an issue for you? It is not like it is done in a church but rather a registry office. You should just say Yes and give them what they want, it is hardly an issue.

For me, the church does not have a monopoly on marriage. Marriage brings rights, and gays should have equal rights. Why does the un-elected church get a say on what rights people get?

I have no problem with religions saying you can't marry in their place of worship with a gay marriage; however, to ban gay marriage full stop is plain wrong. Freedom of speech-churches can think and act how they want, but so can gays.

Before the church gets all high and mighty, perhaps it should not marry adulterers or let them in their church and other people the bible condemns.

The church does not own religion. The church should have a right to have its view, but it cannot force it on others. Like my above posts say-gays have the right to their view but they cannot force it on others.
No problem. For me, this is the problem with debating gay marriage. People just respond on auto-pilot and trot out the cliche responses. No offence, in all sincerity.

Normally I do read properly (I love a good debate) but it's half 12, I've barely slept all week and I'm struggling to again so I'm not really on top form :P

Pretty poor argument though, unless we start banning everyone with a genetic disorder from marrying/breeding.
To OP: No i don't think same sex marriage should be allowed in society, thats just my opinion as an individual.
Original post by VV Cephei A
Pretty poor argument though, unless we start banning everyone with a genetic disorder from marrying/breeding.

Different issue. Repeated inbreeding has been shown to cause problems. People with genetic disorders will rarely pass it onto their children in its full form - the children would be, more often than not, carriers. Generally speaking, inbreeding would cause more problems throughout the population than those with genetic disorders.
Different issue. Repeated inbreeding has been shown to cause problems. People with genetic disorders will rarely pass it onto their children in its full form - the children would be, more often than not, carriers. Generally speaking, inbreeding would cause more problems throughout the population than those with genetic disorders.

Depends entirely on the disorder. Autosomal dominant ones like Huntingdon's, which is horrific, have a 50% chance of being passed to offspring. I have no issues with gay marriage and that is a separate discussion, but there isn't really much of a case for banning incestuous relationships based on medical risk unless we extend that to other individuals as well.
Marriage is a cronk of ****. I fully support the right of all people to make this terrible life decision regardless of their sexual orientation :smile:
Original post by SophieSmall
I see I wasn't very clear in my initial post, and so I can see why you came to your scenario.

But as a rule basically, I think everyone should have freedom of religion and rights so long as those religions and rights do not affect the religion and rights of others. But it does get more complicated as you get down to specific issues.

Yes, it's true. Especially as rights aren't really rights at all, they're just legal entitlements and protections.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Marriage is a cronk of ****. I fully support the right of all people to make this terrible life decision regardless of their sexual orientation :smile:

Exactly. Government approved love.

For me, the church does not have a monopoly on marriage. Marriage brings rights, and gays should have equal rights. Why does the un-elected church get a say on what rights people get?

I have no problem with religions saying you can't marry in their place of worship with a gay marriage; however, to ban gay marriage full stop is plain wrong. Freedom of speech-churches can think and act how they want, but so can gays.

Before the church gets all high and mighty, perhaps it should not marry adulterers or let them in their church and other people the bible condemns.

The church does not own religion. The church should have a right to have its view, but it cannot force it on others. Like my above posts say-gays have the right to their view but they cannot force it on others.

In my opinion I couldn't care one bit what the church wants or if gay people want to marry or not. If they want to marry then so be it. Economic, defence, welfare, EU and immigration are the real policy we should focus on. I can't believe we still give a religion a platform, people have moved on and so should the system.
In my opinion I couldn't care one bit what the church wants or if gay people want to marry or not. If they want to marry then so be it. Economic, defence, welfare, EU and immigration are the real policy we should focus on. I can't believe we still give a religion a platform, people have moved on and so should the system.

I agree-the church can have its own view, but it cant' force others to follow it. It doesn't own the concept of marriage. The church can focus on the child abuse it has committed and covered up and on how it has got so rich whilst also serving God.
We have so many big issues and it is said that Cameron can get his arse in gear for something that affects 1% of the population but not huge issues like you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, equal rights are very important. It is good he sorted that early. If only Cameron showed the same sense of urgency to other issues (cough banking reform, immigration reaching record levels, the Calais crisis, the migrant crisis, the EU, housing, etc). I mean he spends his time dithering like a muppet when it comes to the houses we live in-a pretty big issue.
I agree-the church can have its own view, but it cant' force others to follow it. It doesn't own the concept of marriage. The church can focus on the child abuse it has committed and covered up and on how it has got so rich whilst also serving God.
We have so many big issues and it is said that Cameron can get his arse in gear for something that affects 1% of the population but not huge issues like you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, equal rights are very important. It is good he sorted that early. If only Cameron showed the same sense of urgency to other issues (cough banking reform, immigration reaching record levels, the Calais crisis, the migrant crisis, the EU, housing, etc). I mean he spends his time dithering like a muppet when it comes to the houses we live in-a pretty big issue.

I don't get why he has to scrap tax credits next year but introduce the national living wage 5 years down the line. One of the few things I agree with Labour is why not introduce both policies at the same time. It just shows how like the unions run the Labour Party, his rich friends run the Tory party because they don't want to meet the proposals of fair wages.
as a christian i support it 100% you can marry the same sex, a goat, a cow and anything you want.

But in my own personal opinion, gay sex is wierd and disgusting and i wouldnt want to witness it or have someone talk about it near me.
apart from that each to their own :smile:
I don't get why he has to scrap tax credits next year but introduce the national living wage 5 years down the line. One of the few things I agree with Labour is why not introduce both policies at the same time. It just shows how like the unions run the Labour Party, his rich friends run the Tory party because they don't want to meet the proposals of fair wages.

True, but off thread topic:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending