The Student Room Group

Cheapest car insurance for young drivers?

Does anyone know what companies provide the cheapest car insurance for new drivers? Im currently 19 and passed 3 months ago...
Currently i am getting quoted around 2k.

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm going move this one to the Motoring forum where I think you're going to get more responses.
Have you tried asking the meercats?

www.moneysupermarket.com
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
Hi,

I'm going move this one to the Motoring forum where I think you're going to get more responses.

Original post by LatexLover
Have you tried asking the meercats?

The cheapes quote they coulf give me was 2.8k
Glad im not young anymore, my mulitcar policy for 2 cars was 720, admiral.
Original post by earthworm

I'll check them out thanks

The quoted me 5k.....
If it helps im 19, doing an apprenticeship and will be doing roughly 8k miles for the year.
What do you drive?
2010 5 dr vauxhall corsa. 1.2 petrol
What do you drive?

2010 vauxhall cora. 5doors. 1.2 petrol
Getting a quote 2k with compare the Market. Bell insurance is 4.5 k for me 😯
Ive already added my mums details on it. As for my dad when i put his details on it goes up even though he has 15 years no claims bonus.
When I put either parentas main driver it goes upto 3k without an black box. I am happy to have a black box in my car so with it it it goes to 2k. Which is what it is for me as thr policy holder...
Gone down to £1950...
You should ring acorn insurance, if you're willing to have a black box.. they quoted me £1600 for a 1.9tdi golf i'm 20 just passed my test and I have 3 points on my license.
(edited 8 years ago)
People suggesting putting parents as the main driver and yourself as a named driver... unless that's an accurate representation of who will be mainly driving the car, then it's called "fronting" and it's fraud. See: https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Named-drivers

You might save some money but the flip side of the discount is that your insurance might not be valid when you need it. And you might then be prosecuted for fraud.
Original post by nonswimmer
People suggesting putting parents as the main driver and yourself as a named driver... unless that's an accurate representation of who will be mainly driving the car, then it's called "fronting" and it's fraud. See: https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Named-drivers

You might save some money but the flip side of the discount is that your insurance might not be valid when you need it. And you might then be prosecuted for fraud.

plus you don't build your own ncb. I've found it's actually cheaper to have my self as the main driver.
Use a comparison site, the cheapest on that will be the cheapest you can get (unless you tweak the excess or choose the box etc).

Quick Reply

Latest