The Student Room Group

Thinking of doing the LPC again?

Hello. I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find any discussion about this!

I did my LPC last year at Kaplan Law School but didn't do very well... I passed, but that's all. I was looking at law firms and training contracts yesterday and noticed that a lot specifically state that you need a Commendation. So I was thinking of doing the LPC again, part-time, while working full-time next year at BPP. I am confident that I can achieve a Commendation this time (I know what went wrong last time). I think I will be able to manage as some of my colleagues now are studying part-time while working full-time.

What do you think? Is it a crazy idea? Everyone I've mentioned to says it's a crazy idea... but I want a training contract so badly! I think about it every day... I was also told it could reflect badly on me... But I don't think a Pass is going to get me anywhere! While I was doing the LPC I worked part-time as a Student Associate for the academic year (so it's not as if that year would be empty if I left it out on my CV).

During the LPC I was applying for training contracts and I had interviews with a few Silver Circle and US law firms... but after my LPC grade I don't think this is likely to happen again.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
I don't think it's worth doing it again. You've already done it and doing it again and achieving a commendation isn't going to impress anyone. They'll probably just think you're crazy spending another £15,000 odd thousand on a course you've already passed and if you get a higher mark they will probably attribute it to the fact you've already done it. I mean, do you plan on telling firms you've done the LPC twice?

You need to find a job doing something you enjoy, be it something legal or business related, and just apply for training contracts in the meantime. I think doing the LPC again is a crazy idea. If it happens, it happens, but if it doesn't you're going to have to move on...
yeah don't do it again. It is what it is now. You are making a very big assumption that there is no reason to carry on with TC - just carry on anyway. It sounds like you have a legal type job - just carry on going - just try everything you can to get a TC. Hey you passed the LPC! you could have failed. So, look, you have passed. loads of people just pass. onwards

Original post by Yee Rou
Hello. I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find any discussion about this!

I did my LPC last year at Kaplan Law School but didn't do very well... I passed, but that's all. I was looking at law firms and training contracts yesterday and noticed that a lot specifically state that you need a Commendation. So I was thinking of doing the LPC again, part-time, while working full-time next year at BPP. I am confident that I can achieve a Commendation this time (I know what went wrong last time). I think I will be able to manage as some of my colleagues now are studying part-time while working full-time.

What do you think? Is it a crazy idea? Everyone I've mentioned to says it's a crazy idea... but I want a training contract so badly! I think about it every day... I was also told it could reflect badly on me... But I don't think a Pass is going to get me anywhere! While I was doing the LPC I worked part-time as a Student Associate for the academic year (so it's not as if that year would be empty if I left it out on my CV).

During the LPC I was applying for training contracts and I had interviews with a few Silver Circle and US law firms... but after my LPC grade I don't think this is likely to happen again.

Reply 4
Original post by Yee Rou

Hey really curious to know what you ended up doing in the end? As I am planning on doing LPC part time whilst working full time as a Paralegal for a firm who have offered me a TC.

Would be great to know how you found part time lpc (if you made that choice ofcourse)
Reply 5
Jesus Christ. How on earth did you not manage at least a commendation at Kaplan?!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending