The Student Room Group

C1 graph transformations - URGENT HELP NEEDED

Hi I am really confused on how to work out part c in question 3. I have spent ages working it out and can't get it right. Thanks for any help.
image.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meggy moo 1
Hi I am really confused on how to work out part c in question 3. I have spent ages working it out and can't get it right. Thanks for any help.
image.jpg

To find the equation of f(x+1) simply replace all references to "x" in f(x) with "x+1".
Reply 2
Original post by 16Characters....
To find the equation of f(x+1) simply replace all references to "x" in f(x) with "x+1".

Thank you, I've done that. But I don't understand how/if I need to expand out that substitution? Because I just get left with (x + 1)^2 - (x + 1)^3
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you, I've done that. But I don't understand how/if I need to expand out that substitution?

What do you have exactly at the moment?
Reply 4
What do you have exactly at the moment?

Sorry I just edited my last message to show what I got but I get (x + 1)^2 - (x + 1)^3 when I expand it out
Sorry I just edited my last message to show what I got but I get (x + 1)^2 - (x + 1)^3 when I expand it out

Yeah, just sub in x=0 :smile:

I would keep it factorised to be honest, looks neater but it really does not matter. All the question now wants is for you to find the y-intercept so there is no particular best way to write your answer.
Reply 7
for part c, when subbing in x+1, you should just have (x+1)^2*(1-(x+1)) which simplifies to (x+1)^2 * (-x) i.e.y= -x(x+1)^2there is no need to expand anything ... the answer is directly visible ... but if not, just sub x=0 in ..
Reply 8
I would keep it factorised to be honest, looks neater but it really does not matter. All the question now wants is for you to find the y-intercept so there is no particular best way to write your answer.

What confuses me is how to work out the equation as the answer in the back of the book is -x(x + 1)^2
Reply 9
Original post by dpm
for part c, when subbing in x+1, you should just have (x+1)^2*(1-(x+1)) which simplifies to (x+1)^2 * (-x) i.e.y= -x(x+1)^2there is no need to expand anything ... the answer is directly visible ... but if not, just sub x=0 in ..

Will you need to expand the brackets to work out that it simplifies to that as I don't see how you've got that
Will you need to expand the brackets to work out that it simplifies to that as I don't see how you've got that

f(x)=x2(1x) f(x) = x^2 (1-x)

f(x+1)=(x+1)2(1(x+1)) f(x+1) = (x+1)^2(1-(x+1))

Simplify this, you should get what they want you to get. No expanding needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
f(x)=x2(1x) f(x) = x^2 (1-x)

f(x+1)=(x+1)2(1(x+1)) f(x+1) = (x+1)^2(1-(x+1))

Simplify this, you should get what they want you to get. No expanding needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I feel really silly because I can't even do that because I don't see how you can simplify without expanding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now I feel really silly because I can't even do that because I don't see how you can simplify without expanding

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is 1(x+1)1-(x+1)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is 1(x+1)1-(x+1)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

-x ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence, f(x+1)=(x+1)2(1(x+1))=(x+1)2(x)=x(x+1)2 f(x+1) = (x+1)^2 (1-(x+1)) = (x+1)^2(-x) = -x(x+1)^2

That is what the book wanted right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Hence, f(x+1)=(x+1)2(1(x+1))=(x+2)2(x)=x(x+1)2 f(x+1) = (x+1)^2 (1-(x+1)) = (x+2)^2(-x) = -x(x+1)^2

That is what the book wanted right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! Thank you so much! I felt really silly then 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dpm
yes

Thank you, I understand now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, I've done that. But I don't understand how/if I need to expand out that substitution? Because I just get left with (x + 1)^2 - (x + 1)^3

Yeah just sub into original equation(s)
Original post by AlphaArgonian
Yeah just sub into original equation(s)

Oh okay yeah that makes sense now, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest