The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Is university of essex good?

I might apply for psychology since the grade boundaries are quite low but since I've been to the open day I'm unsure. The town centre looks quite far away from the uni and it's not exactly as modern as the other unis I've been to but i didn't get to see all of the facilities for psychology so I don't know. So far I've looked at UCL, Reading, Portsmouth, Lincoln and Kent
Original post by raven48
I might apply for psychology since the grade boundaries are quite low but since I've been to the open day I'm unsure. The town centre looks quite far away from the uni and it's not exactly as modern as the other unis I've been to but i didn't get to see all of the facilities for psychology so I don't know. So far I've looked at UCL, Reading, Portsmouth, Lincoln and Kent

Hi, I'm a third year student at the university :smile: the town is only 15/20 minutes on the bus (or you can walk there) plus it's quite close to London. Personally I don't go to town that much as there's a lot to do on campus like societies, sports, nightclub, bars etc.

When you came to the open day did you go on any tours or anything? Also did you get to see the psychology department?

^Shannon
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
I've heard the university is LIVE
Reply 3
Original post by shannon.rose
Hi, I'm a third year student at the university :smile: the town is only 15/20 minutes on the bus (or you can walk there) plus it's quite close to London. Personally I don't go to town that much as there's a lot to do on campus like societies, sports, nightclub, bars etc.

When you came to the open day did you go on any tours or anything? Also did you get to see the psychology department?

^Shannon

I went on a tour but they didn't show as much as I saw in the other unis I've been to the only thing I saw was the EEG's. They did tell me about free sports and good accommodation and the library looks decent.
Original post by raven48
I went on a tour but they didn't show as much as I saw in the other unis I've been to the only thing I saw was the EEG's. They did tell me about free sports and good accommodation and the library looks decent.

Hello,
I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex and really enjoy it here :smile:
The Psychology building is quite modern, we have PC labs within the building that have around 60 iMacs in each and only Psychology students are allowed in them. There are also rooms that have around 12 experimental pods around the outside, each containing iMacs for experiments.
The facilities are really good but the teaching also is too. There is lots of support available and the course is really engaging which you need when Psychology is so stats based!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Natalie.
Reply 5
Original post by Natalie.1
Hello,
I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex and really enjoy it here :smile:
The Psychology building is quite modern, we have PC labs within the building that have around 60 iMacs in each and only Psychology students are allowed in them. There are also rooms that have around 12 experimental pods around the outside, each containing iMacs for experiments.
The facilities are really good but the teaching also is too. There is lots of support available and the course is really engaging which you need when Psychology is so stats based!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Natalie.

Hi just wondering what other kind of equipment is available for psychology students to use apart from the EEG's do they have sleep labs. etc
Also do they cover sleep and forensic psychology as optional modules?
Original post by raven48
Hi just wondering what other kind of equipment is available for psychology students to use apart from the EEG's do they have sleep labs. etc
Also do they cover sleep and forensic psychology as optional modules?

Hi! I'm Sharmila and I'm in my final year of Psychology.
There is an amazing BabyLab in the department that you could apply to assist in, and there is a Research Experience Scheme available so you can assist a member of staff in their research, and you can get to know about many different kinds of equipment. Lecturers also do many different demonstrations for students on things like TMS and Matlab as well as EEG demonstrations.
In second year you will cover sleep in the Brain and Behaviour module, but I can't say for sure about Forensic Psychology.
I hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions you may have! :smile:
^Sharmila
Original post by raven48

Oh! That's a shame, but yes the facilities are really good here. Obviously it's slightly different for me because I'm in a different department. If you have any general questions let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending