The Student Room Group

Official M5 Edexcel Thread June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ombtom
I'm worried that I'm being too ambitious with M5; many people say that it's by far the hardest unit. So far I've only learnt M3, and I'm fine with it. I've also learnt FP2 and it's fine. Last year I taught myself AS Maths I got over 90% and this year I'm teaching myself AS and A2 Further Maths. I've applied for Physics at university. I am not doing STEP or anything like that.

Based on this, do you think that I will be able to do well in M4/M5?

Tbh I would consider doing M5 if M4 wasn't needed
Reply 21
Original post by Student403

Neither are needed, but I enjoy Mechanics a lot, and I put them on my UCAS application.
Original post by ombtom
Neither are needed, but I enjoy Mechanics a lot, and I put them on my UCAS application.

Aha I just put M3 (school only does up to m2). Maybe I'll pull a ch33ki m5 for shiz and giggles?
Reply 23
Original post by Student403

I don't believe you need any parts of M4 to be able to do M5, although you'd be taking a risk that no M4 stuff would appear in the M5 paper (and I'm not sure how the exam board would handle this)
Reply 24
Original post by Gome44
I don't believe you need any parts of M4 to be able to do M5, although you'd be taking a risk that no M4 stuff would appear in the M5 paper (and I'm not sure how the exam board would handle this)

I studied M5 without M4 and I was fine... you need a strong pure background though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I studied M5 without M4 and I was fine... you need a strong pure background though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing up to FP3
Reply 26
Original post by Krollo

Why did you choose not to study M4 first? :hmmmm:
Reply 27
Original post by ombtom

Preferred the topics in M5, quite frankly :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by ombtom

My friend did this last year as well, he said he really didn't want to do relative motion as he feared it would put him off mechanics
Hi guys,
Do I absolutely need fp3 for m4 or do they just overlap a little. I want to do further A2, so i'm either picking fp2 fp3 m3 or fp2 m3 m4. I'm more inclined to do the latter since I love mechanics.
Yes I know you might think I should do S2 since it's nice and easy(or so I heard) but I hate it and I don't like taking the easy and boring way.
Thanks.( I'm an engineering student trying to re-apply for Imperial btw)
Original post by ChuckNorriss
Hi guys,
Do I absolutely need fp3 for m4 or do they just overlap a little. I want to do further A2, so i'm either picking fp2 fp3 m3 or fp2 m3 m4. I'm more inclined to do the latter since I love mechanics.
Yes I know you might think I should do S2 since it's nice and easy(or so I heard) but I hate it and I don't like taking the easy and boring way.
Thanks.( I'm an engineering student trying to re-apply for Imperial btw)

You need the differential equations in FP2, but you don't need FP3 at all.
so i ordered the fp2 book and they gave me the fp3 one instead,i dnt wanna return the book XD, seriously considering to complete all the M's and FP's (doing fp2 m3 m4 atm),
Original post by Gome44
My friend did this last year as well, he said he really didn't want to do relative motion as he feared it would put him off mechanics

It's the only bit of the A-levels I found difficult (and I did it when we had P1-P6, M1-M6 :tongue:). I have zero spatial awareness in real life too, so I would take that into account if you're put off by relative motion - really the hardest it gets is using some similar triangles and some geometric thinking (that's the thing I can't do :frown: )
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Thanks!

I suppose so :smile:

How is uni maths, harder/easier compared to a2 further maths?

At university, pure maths is very different from what is taught as pure maths at a-level. A lot of the kind of material from C1 - FP3 would be taught as applied maths.

I didn't do further maths at A-level (my school didn't offer it and I didn't think of doing it on my own - I would have liked to have taught myself but I didn't)
but I get the impression that, in terms of mechanics, at A-level, you're taught to solve specific problems. At college, you'll have to fend for yourself, to some extent, but that should be no problem to someone who's doing further maths - the ordinary maths A-level and, to some extent, the further maths A-level, underestimates the abilities of a lot of students. Also, you'll probably quickly depart from Cartesian co-ordinates and go into other co-ordinate systems. If you're thinking of going to Cambridge or Oxford, there are Cambridge maths past papers available online.
Checking in
Reply 35
Original post by ChuckNorriss
so i ordered the fp2 book and they gave me the fp3 one instead,i dnt wanna return the book XD, seriously considering to complete all the M's and FP's (doing fp2 m3 m4 atm),

It's a sign.
Reply 36
Not very impressed with this thread ...

Where is the First Page of Mandatory information and links !!!

Spoiler

Original post by TeeEm
Not very impressed with this thread ...

Where is the First Page of Mandatory information and links !!!

Spoiler

If M5 candidates aren't capable of searching the Edexcel website (and Google) to find the resources available, they shouldn't be doing M5.

Links and information on other threads are by no means mandatory.

When I'm marking this in the summer, it will be very obvious which candidates can think for themselves.
Reply 38
Original post by tiny hobbit
If M5 candidates aren't capable of searching the Edexcel website (and Google) to find the resources available, they shouldn't be doing M5.

When I'm marking this in the summer, it will be very obvious which candidates can think for themselves.

Clearly, my sense of humour is very different to yours !

b17.jpg
Original post by tiny hobbit

You will come across my script.
Everyone Krollo everybody. We shall leave a note at the end saying Tiny Hobbit Tiny Hobbit hahahahah.
I hope the exam is hard this year wudnt mind making an algebra error and getting 100ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending