The Student Room Group

What's wrong with parents these days?

So I finally concluded today that I'll be doing computer science and I got a look of disgust from my parents and my dad said something like 'Do a worthwhile degree.' Of course they didn't mean any harm as they don't understand it but it seems like a lot of older parents don't understand valuable degrees in current society if they're not the traditional Maths, English or sciences...
Your thoughts and anyone else had any similar experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexp98
So I finally concluded today that I'll be doing computer science and I got a look of disgust from my parents and my dad said something like 'Do a worthwhile degree.' Of course they didn't mean any harm as they don't understand it but it seems like a lot of older parents don't understand valuable degrees in current society if they're not the traditional Maths, English or sciences...

Parents are often very misinformed about career prospects that come with different degrees, and what those degrees actually entail.

I would suggest showing them the employment stats for computer science at relevant unis (see www.unistats.ac.uk) and talking to them about the course content, how there's a lot of maths involved etc. If they're older they probably think that computer science is just another name for ICT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Parents are often very misinformed about career prospects that come with different degrees, and what those degrees actually entail.

I would suggest showing them the employment stats for computer science at relevant unis (see www.unistats.ac.uk) and talking to them about the course content, how there's a lot of maths involved etc. If they're older they probably think that computer science is just another name for ICT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As an older parent myself I agree with the above poster. We are guilty perhaps of not being up to date on less traditional subjects. When I was in school we didn't have computers and these have come in within the last 40 years. Perhaps your parents are not fully up to date with what computer studies is. In todays business world the use of computers is critical. Items like Word, Excel and Outlook are very new and the Windows system has not been around that long. Computer studies is very useful and will help towards jobs like programming which is the way the world is moving. Maybe your parents perhaps don't recognise this and you would be well advised to explain this to them.
Original post by swanseajack1
As an older parent myself I agree with the above poster. We are guilty perhaps of not being up to date on less traditional subjects. When I was in school we didn't have computers and these have come in within the last 40 years. Perhaps your parents are not fully up to date with what computer studies is. In todays business world the use of computers is critical. Items like Word, Excel and Outlook are very new and the Windows system has not been around that long. Computer studies is very useful and will help towards jobs like programming which is the way the world is moving. Maybe your parents perhaps don't recognise this and you would be well advised to explain this to them.

Computer Studies =/= Computer Science.

The latter is not about studying computers, it's about studying computation and the science behind how computation works, different models of computation and the practical applications within software. .

CS as a subject isn't 'new', in fact, it predates the computer itself and was generally seen as a branch of applied mathematics (it still is in most cases) before the computer came around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexp98

Despite the fact Computer Science is one of the best degrees you can do in terms of salary afterwards :lol: Especially if you're doing it at a top Uni.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Despite the fact Computer Science is one of the best degrees you can do in terms of salary afterwards :lol: Especially if you're doing it at a top Uni.

It's not that being at a top uni leads on to getting paid the most, but that people at these top unis are more capable, on average, of getting the highest paying positions. Basically, you've confused causation and correlation.

These high paying jobs (at least within the tech industry) are very much open to people from a wide array of universities but the key differentiator here is ability. If someone can show a high level of ability and skill within what they do, they will get paid accordingly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's not that being at a top uni leads on to getting paid the most, but that people at these top unis are more capable, on average, of getting the highest paying positions. Basically, you've confused causation and correlation.

These high paying jobs (at least within the tech industry) are very much open to people from a wide array of universities but the key differentiator here is ability. If someone can show a high level of ability and skill within what they do, they will get paid accordingly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no I know what you mean, but for example, the same person being taught through the Imperial type of course will tend to be of better ability/ employability by the team they graduate against if they were to go to a Uni asking for something like BBB - Because the courses are taught differently. Yes of course some pretty useless people end up at top Uni's, but they still give themselves a better chance by doing so.

However it seems that a lot of students at top Uni's for something like Computer Science, end up working for themselves once they graduate.

Like my dad says - Go to a top Uni because they'll teach you more, not because of their reputation.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oh no I know what you mean, but for example, the same person being taught through the Imperial type of course will tend to be of better ability/ employability by the team they graduate against if they were to go to a Uni asking for something like BBB - Because the courses are taught differently. Yes of course some pretty useless people end up at top Uni's, but they still give themselves a better chance by doing so.

However it seems that a lot of students at top Uni's for something like Computer Science, end up working for themselves once they graduate.

Like my dad says - Go to a top Uni because they'll teach you more, not because of their reputation.

I agree.

The courses at the top universities are rigorous and more wide reaching, by themselves. But, the course isn't the be all and end all (i.e. most of what you learn isn't going to be used, though the fundamental principles will due to the fast changing nature of the industry), you'll need to show a strong level of commitment (through hackathons, side projects etc), skill and general quick thinking/problem solving ability to catch the eye of a tech recruiter - qualities which you'll find a greater percentage of top uni students possess.

Personally, I see no difference in ability between the top 10-30% of a class at a lower university and the average 'good enough' candidate for a high paying job at a top university. The difference is the branding of the latter allows for less than suitable candidates to get offered these roles.

Yeah, that last sentiment is exactly how I see things.
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks will do. I really need to emphasise the 'science' part to them. They're happy for me to do it but it's important for me to know they acknowledge how rigorous and respected it is
Original post by alexp98
Thanks will do. I really need to emphasise the 'science' part to them. They're happy for me to do it but it's important for me to know they acknowledge how rigorous and respected it is

your parents probably think computer science is a degree about playing computer games or making emails lmao. you seriously need to sit with them and tell them what the subject is about, i.e. show them the list of modules. CS is way more rigorous than a subject like english anyway.
Reply 10
Agreed, it's frustrating as my sister does Pharamcy which is admittedly very rigorous and respected they seem to look down on me. But yes along with economics and medicine I'd say computer science is up there.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just see it as them looking out for you.

They don't want you to be jobless in the future.

They probably don't know the details of careers, much like mine.
Original post by alexp98

A degree in Computer Science is one of the best degrees you can graduate with in today's market lmfao.

If your parents think English or Biology is more valuable than Computer Science they're heavily misinformed.

From a decent university, you can expect to be starting one at least £25k a year. Computer Science graduates have some of the highest post university employment statistics in the country.

Generally, the best degrees are:

Engineering,
Physics,
Chemistry,
Law,
Mathematics,
Economics,
Accounting & Finance,
Computer Science
Medicine,
Veterinary Science,
Dentistry

In no particular order.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexp98

No - I totally disagree with you!

Computers have been used in business for nearly 60 years and I'd be surprised any adult didn't know that!

School have had them since the early 1980s ...
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
No - I totally disagree with you!

Computers have been used in business for nearly 60 years and I'd be surprised any adult didn't know that!

School have had them since the early 1980s ...

That's the point. They probably think I'm doing an IT irrelevant degree like school A level is, but computer science is completely different
Reply 15
Original post by jake4198
A degree in Computer Science is one of the best degrees you can graduate with in today's market lmfao.

If your parents think English or Biology is more valuable than Computer Science they're heavily misinformed.

From a decent university, you can expect to be starting one at least £25k a year. Computer Science graduates have some of the highest post university employment statistics in the country.

Generally, the best degrees are:

Engineering,
Physics,
Chemistry,
Law,
Mathematics,
Economics,
Accounting & Finance,
Computer Science
Medicine,
Veterinary Science,
Dentistry

In no particular order.

I would add pharmacy and maybe geography too. What would you say is better accounting and finance or computer science as these were my two choices, also which is harder at an average uni?
Your chosen uni website tends to show the options with your degree / what students do after. Have you showed them that?

There's also [url=
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_computer_science.htm]this
Original post by alexp98
I would add pharmacy and maybe geography too. What would you say is better accounting and finance or computer science as these were my two choices, also which is harder at an average uni?

It really depends on what you want to study, the degrees themselves are both good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexp98

They lead to different careers, so I'd recommend you think about you really want to do.

Honestly, they're as competitive as each other.

If you're better at sciences, do CS.

If you're better at humanities, but can still do well in maths, do A & F.
Hey :h: I am glad that you've finally made up your mind on what degree that you would like to pursue.

From the sounds of it, your parents don't seem to be knowledgeable of the variety degrees that are out there, and the possibility of you getting quite. a good salary should you do well in the field.

Thankfully my father is the techy one in our household despite being near his 60s, and knows of the relevance of a comper science degree and whatnot? Perhaps show your parents the stats on whatuni or something to show the average starting salary for a compsci undergraduate and maybe theyll then figure out there must be something that the degree brings to the plate :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply