The Student Room Group

should Infant Circumssion be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
So it's ok to mutilate boys because they might get an infection, but we shouldn't do the same with girls because vaginas are "self-cleaning", even if girls get much more infections than boys?

Disgusting double standard.

the infections girls that can occur in girls have nothing to do with the parts of the genitalia that are removed during circumcision, so it has no benefit. The infections that can occur in guys are reduced with the removal of the foreskin, so it has a benefit.

You really want to get into a debate about double standards?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Female circumcision always involves removing the clitoris. In some cases, the removal of the inner and outer vagina lips occur. The point of FGM is so that females don't feel the pleasure of sex and so are deterred from being promiscuous. The clitoris is responsible for sexual pleasure, that's it's only function, so to remove it means you remove sexual pleasure associated with it, therefore, it does make sexual activity unpleasurable and perhaps severely painful depending on the type of circumcision. So then it's not comparable to male circumcision.

Secondly, where is the evidence?

Actually no. Educate yourself,not all FGM includes clitoris removal. So yes it is comparable to MGM. Even still the post ypu responded to very clearly just said only labia removal, yet you are still ignoring it. How is labia removal not comparable foreskin removal? Please do tell me. Though I'm sure like everything else you will dodge it.

How about you do some research. On my phone so can't link.
Reply 282
the infections girls that can occur in girls have nothing to do with the parts of the genitalia that are removed during circumcision, so it has no benefit. The infections that can occur in guys are reduced with the removal of the foreskin, so it has a benefit.

You really want to get into a debate about double standards?

It has been said many times on this thread that there is no health benefit from circumcision, providing that you wash regularly.
Original post by SophieSmall
Actually no. Educate yourself,not all FGM includes clitoris removal. So yes it is comparable to MGM. Even still the post ypu responded to very clearly just said only labia removal, yet you are still ignoring it. How is labia removal not comparable foreskin removal? Please do tell me. Though I'm sure like everything else you will dodge it.

She'll probably come out with some inane reason like 'it's literally just skin.' All analogies demonstrating why it's not okay to remove skin will be wasted on her. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JD1lla
??

There's so many things wrong with that statement.
Original post by SophieSmall

All instances of FGM involves compromising future sexual pleasure, because the clitoris is tampered with in some way

types of FGM:
1. Partial or total removal of the clitoris
2. Partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without the excision of the labia majora
3. Narrowing of the vagina orifice with creation of a covering seal by cutting and appositioning
The labia minora/majora usually accompanied with the excision of the clitoris. This is essentially cutting and sewing up the vagina and creating a small hole for urine and menstrual blood. The vagina has to be opened for childbirth. So for someone who has had the type 3 FGM, you reckon they'd enjoy sex with a sewed up vagina?

Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.

You are ignoring the main reason for why FGM exists and it is to prevent girls from enjoying sex. You need to do your research on the purpose it's supposed to serve.

Its not comparable to male circumcision because it serves no health or hygienic benefits, all it does it cause harm. How many times do I have to repeat that?

Lol, you're talking nonsense. Circumcised men enjoy sexual activity, find pleasure in it and climax from it just like uncircumcised men. There is no factual evidence to support your claim. If you cannot provide any evidence, stop saying it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes please, immediately!
Original post by Josb
It has been said many times on this thread that there is no health benefit from circumcision, providing that you wash regularly.

You can't wash away a UTI. In reference to hygiene, I've already said that some males, particularly young men and boys may not wash their foreskin thoroughly enough or may suffer from pain/tenderness when retracting the foreskin.
Reply 288
Original post by Imperion
There's so many things wrong with that statement.

List them
Reply 289
You can't wash away a UTI. In reference to hygiene, I've already said that some males, particularly young men and boys may not wash their foreskin thoroughly enough or may suffer from pain/tenderness when retracting the foreskin.

The same can be said for young girls.
Original post by Josb
The same can be said for young girls.

I've already said the vagina is self cleaning. There's no excess skin we have to retract to clean.
Reply 291
All instances of FGM involves compromising future sexual pleasure, because the clitoris is tampered with in some way

types of FGM:
1. Partial or total removal of the clitoris
2. Partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without the excision of the labia majora
3. Narrowing of the vagina orifice with creation of a covering seal by cutting and appositioning
The labia minora/majora usually accompanied with the excision of the clitoris. This is essentially cutting and sewing up the vagina and creating a small hole for urine and menstrual blood. The vagina has to be opened for childbirth. So for someone who has had the type 3 FGM, you reckon they'd enjoy sex with a sewed up vagina?

Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.

You are ignoring the main reason for why FGM exists and it is to prevent girls from enjoying sex. You need to do your research on the purpose it's supposed to serve.

Its not comparable to male circumcision because it serves no health or hygienic benefits, all it does it cause harm. How many times do I have to repeat that?

Lol, you're talking nonsense. Circumcised men enjoy sexual activity, find pleasure in it and climax from it just like uncircumcised men. There is no factual evidence to support your claim. If you cannot provide any evidence, stop saying it.

That's not entirely true. There are many reasons, that vary by region, why it occurs. MGM also exists. I actually watched a video of it yesterday, and it was one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen. Those boys received an extremely crude 'circumcision' that is most likely prone to infection, disease and all kinds of problems. They won't enjoy sex lol.
Original post by JD1lla
That's not entirely true. There are many reasons, that vary by region, why it occurs. MGM also exists. I actually watched a video of it yesterday, and it was one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen. Those boys received an extremely crude 'circumcision' that is most likely prone to infection, disease and all kinds of problems. They won't enjoy sex lol.

It is true, it's the main reason for why they carry out FGM.

& Exactly, so if you say it's extremely crude for boys, why can't you say the same for girls? FGM also makes girls prone to all types of infection, disease, and infertility but people seem to still say it's the same as the legal male circumcision we have.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 293
I've already said the vagina is self cleaning. There's no excess skin we have to retract to clean.

So we should cut that excess of skin to boys because they may not know that they have to retract it when they wash?

What if we - as parents - teach them how to do it?
Reply 294
What other reasons do they have for FGM?

& Exactly, so if you say it's extremely crude for boys, why can't you say the same for girls? FGM also makes girls prone to all types of infection, disease, and infertility but people seem to still say it's the same as the legal male circumcision we have.

FGM is done on babies/children without their consent. Same as MGM.

You deliberately fail to understand this.
Reply 295
What other reasons do they have for FGM?

FGM is much worse than legal circumcision, a lot of FGM occurs illegally. MGM occurs but no where near on the same scale.

http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Forward_-FGM-FAQ.pdf

This explains some of the reasons it happens.
Reply 296
Original post by Josb
FGM is done on babies/children without their consent. Same as MGM.

You deliberately fail to understand this.

FGM occurs mainly in children, sometimes babies, sometimes adults. Legal circumcision whilst I disagree with it, is not comparable to MGM or FGM.
Original post by Josb
So we should cut that excess of skin to boys because they may not know that they have to retract it when they wash?

What if we - as parents - teach them how to do it?

I'm not saying we should, I'm just saying that circumcision serves a purpose. You keep ignoring that I said it may be painful/ tender to retract the skin. Phimosis is something circumcised guys won't have to deal with.

It's perfectly fine for parents to teach their sons how to do it, I imagine they already do.
Original post by JD1lla
FGM is much worse than legal circumcision, a lot of FGM occurs illegally. MGM occurs but no where near on the same scale.

http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Forward_-FGM-FAQ.pdf

This explains some of the reasons it happens.

I think we're pretty much on the same page.
Reply 299
I think we're pretty much on the same page.

I dunno I still don't agree with legal circumcision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending