The Student Room Group

What's wrong with parents these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexp98
So I finally concluded today that I'll be doing computer science and I got a look of disgust from my parents and my dad said something like 'Do a worthwhile degree.' Of course they didn't mean any harm as they don't understand it but it seems like a lot of older parents don't understand valuable degrees in current society if they're not the traditional Maths, English or sciences...
Your thoughts and anyone else had any similar experiences?

Me!

This summer (8th May to be precise) I decided that I was going at apply for Politics Joint Honours at University. I did everything possible to prove to my mum that I had not made the decision in haste. I read books, spoke to people, even went to a party Youth conference. I spent a week researching universities/courses before I even went to her with the idea. She still thinks I should do Psychology which, fair enough, I was going to do but now I don't think it is my real passion. I have even explained to her my (personal) reasons for wanting to go into Politics as a career. It didn't even sway her when I recieved 2 offers!

She wouldn't come to open days, wouldn't look at courses or anything, and I'm beginning to get frustrated. I'm just lucky that my Dad has (surprisingly) been amazing - not coming to open days but just listening and helping me decide between universities when my mind and heart were torn between 2. If anyone has any advice on how to try and bring my Mum around I'd appreciate it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by jake4198
They lead to different careers, so I'd recommend you think about you really want to do.

Honestly, they're as competitive as each other.

If you're better at sciences, do CS.

If you're better at humanities, but can still do well in maths, do A & F.

I was never that good at science but great in humanities and solid in maths too, just didn't do A level but still got B at GCSE. It's just so tough which one as I've talked to lots of students from both who did similar a levels to me without A level maths and they're all doing great in their respective degrees. Maybe I'll just go with accounting then and then if I change my mind look for computer science in clearing. Computer science seems to have lower grade requirements than accounting and finance from what I have seen so far.
If you have any help to make me decide that will be great, I wouldn't mind being a programmer of accountant in the future. Apparently though computer science is a lot more broad and won't shut any doors like accounting might do
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by emiloujess
Me!

This summer (8th May to be precise) I decided that I was going at apply for Politics Joint Honours at University. I did everything possible to prove to my mum that I had not made the decision in haste. I read books, spoke to people, even went to a party Youth conference. I spent a week researching universities/courses before I even went to her with the idea. She still thinks I should do Psychology which, fair enough, I was going to do but now I don't think it is my real passion. I have even explained to her my (personal) reasons for wanting to go into Politics as a career. It didn't even sway her when I recieved 2 offers!

She wouldn't come to open days, wouldn't look at courses or anything, and I'm beginning to get frustrated. I'm just lucky that my Dad has (surprisingly) been amazing - not coming to open days but just listening and helping me decide between universities when my mind and heart were torn between 2. If anyone has any advice on how to try and bring my Mum around I'd appreciate it. :smile:

Interesting, if anything politics is a lot stronger than psychology which is often seen as 'soft'
Original post by alexp98
Interesting, if anything politics is a lot stronger than psychology which is often seen as 'soft'

Psychology isn't really soft, it's a science... but I just don't see why my mum and nan can't see that I really want to read Politics at university!
My parents are also simillar
They want me to study a degree where i can branch into something else at the end of first year so something like biomedical sciences,biochemistry or biotechnology but i really enjoy chemistry and have tried convincing them it is a good degree but they wouldnt listen. I will still apply to do Chemistry at uni though:h:
I know the end prospect is very good but i do not know exactly where i want to go into after the degree.
Most of my family did Medicine where they knew at the end they would be doctors
Original post by alexp98
That's the point. They probably think I'm doing an IT irrelevant degree like school A level is, but computer science is completely different

I've never met anyone that thinks IT = computing! You must know some weird people ...
Original post by alexp98
I was never that good at science but great in humanities and solid in maths too, just didn't do A level but still got B at GCSE. It's just so tough which one as I've talked to lots of students from both who did similar a levels to me without A level maths and they're all doing great in their respective degrees. Maybe I'll just go with accounting then and then if I change my mind look for computer science in clearing. Computer science seems to have lower grade requirements than accounting and finance from what I have seen so far.
If you have any help to make me decide that will be great, I wouldn't mind being a programmer of accountant in the future. Apparently though computer science is a lot more broad and won't shut any doors like accounting might do

With CS you can move into software engineering AND finance/accounting/marketing etc, whilst A&F is more limited in the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if your not doing A level Maths your options are more limited. Look into Lancaster, Kent, Royal Holloway as they don't ask for A level Maths. I think Nottingham, Newcastle, Kings and Loughborough don't either but Loughborough I think requires AS level Maths
Reply 28
Original post by Muttley79
I've never met anyone that thinks IT = computing! You must know some weird people ...

Yeah, my parents are weird
Reply 29
Original post by swanseajack1
if your not doing A level Maths your options are more limited. Look into Lancaster, Kent, Royal Holloway as they don't ask for A level Maths. I think Nottingham, Newcastle, Kings and Loughborough don't either but Loughborough I think requires AS level Maths

Thanks, do you know anything about computer science and what the course involves? I want to do it but not sure I'm capable
Original post by emiloujess
Me!

I was stuck for ages between the same two subjects. One of the things that helped me decide in the end was realising that politics had better employment stats (do check this is still the case - I was deciding in 2009).

Ultimately, you may never convince your mother. Sometimes, part of being an adult is learning when to ignore your parents and forge your own path in life. You're the one who will have to live with the effects of the decision, not her!

Original post by Muttley79

I'm sure you know at least one older and technologically illiterate person who doesn't know the difference!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexp98
Thanks, do you know anything about computer science and what the course involves? I want to do it but not sure I'm capable

Look at the modules for the universities you're interested in, as it will differ from uni to uni.

Which ones are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Princepieman
With CS you can move into software engineering AND finance/accounting/marketing etc, whilst A&F is more limited in the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll have to decide really soon. For the reasons stated above I would prefer computer science and it is slightly more respected but I just fear i won't be able to cope, despite talking to many students at top Unis like Nottingham and Newcastle who didn't do any A level maths or sciences. What degree did you do and any more help you can give ? I feel I have done lots of research but just can't decide
Original post by Origami Bullets
I was stuck for ages between the same two subjects. One of the things that helped me decide in the end was realising that politics had better employment stats (do check this is still the case - I was deciding in 2009).

Ultimately, you may never convince your mother. Sometimes, part of being an adult is learning when to ignore your parents and forge your own path in life. You're the one who will have to live with the effects of the decision, not her!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was never really stuck - as soon as I watched one speech in particular I knew what it was I really wanted to do.

I do know that but at the same time I hate that I'm disappointing one of my parents.
Reply 34
Original post by Princepieman
Look at the modules for the universities you're interested in, as it will differ from uni to uni.

Which ones are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DMU and Lincoln look really nice and realistic options. Should I like you to course modules for both?
I don't know enough about it but in most places it is very Maths driven as Maths is the basis of programming. You might be best asking about this in the Computer Sciences forum. Some of the places I mentioned do specific Maths modules. Check the unis for more details. One of my neighbours is looking to apply at the moment without A level Maths and is going to apply to Lancaster Kent and Swansea. I believe he is looking at Cardiff as well. Lancaster have confirmed they accept students without A level Maths and have advised him to apply
Original post by alexp98
Thanks, I'll have to decide really soon. For the reasons stated above I would prefer computer science and it is slightly more respected but I just fear i won't be able to cope, despite talking to many students at top Unis like Nottingham and Newcastle who didn't do any A level maths or sciences. What degree did you do and any more help you can give ? I feel I have done lots of research but just can't decide

Starting a degree in Maths and Computer Science or Data Science (Maths, Stats and CS) next year.

Re: Maths, I know 2 current Notts students who started the course without Maths at A-level. They've said that they get extra support from lecturers and some additional tutorials to go over the Maths required - from what I can glean, they put a lot of stock into helping you through the Maths.

I'd say read around the subject for both - I'd recommend watching some videos on the 'computerphile' YouTube channel which is run by Nottingham's CS department and khan academy videos about accounting/finance/CS - before making a decision, it's really down to what you can see yourself enjoying more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err, that is a very hard and worthwhile degree. It's common knowledge that arts and humanities degrees are piss easy and ten a penny in our economy compared to scientific degrees. You'd get on to loads of msc's with it. Just explain this to him.
Reply 38
Original post by swanseajack1
I don't know enough about it but in most places it is very Maths driven as Maths is the basis of programming. You might be best asking about this in the Computer Sciences forum. Some of the places I mentioned do specific Maths modules. Check the unis for more details. One of my neighbours is looking to apply at the moment without A level Maths and is going to apply to Lancaster Kent and Swansea. I believe he is looking at Cardiff as well. Lancaster have confirmed they accept students without A level Maths and have advised him to apply

Thanks mate, yeah it is of course maths based but apparently they all teach you everything from scratch and if you require a bit of support they will help with the maths. I'll look into those Unis too. Thanks again
I'm pretty sure the starting salaries for computer science at imperial/ucl was £32000, one of the highest starting and mid career pay checks, so tell your parents that you will buy them five lamborghinis and a private jet if they let you do computer science.

But the way, just out of curiosity, what degree subject do your parents want you to study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending