The Student Room Group

Breaking News: Evidence suggests red/processed meat increases cancer risk.

According to studies and research carried out by the WHO, eating 75g of red meat (equivalent to 2 slices of bacon) will increase the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%.

Inb4 veggies say "I told you so".

Is this simple fearmongering, or will you be cutting down on your bacon and burgers??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BruceJender
According to studies and research carried out by the WHO, eating 75g of red meat (equivalent to 2 slices of bacon) will increase the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%.

Is this simple fearmongering, or will you be cutting down on your bacon and burgers??

I prefer white meat anyway, it's always been known that processed meats aren't good for you, it's just about time they've brought out some statistics.
will no longer put bacon up my bottom
I only eat chicken so whatever
I don't believe for one second that this will come as a surprise to anyone. We've known this for years, just people don't want to face up to it because it's so delicious.

This isn't really breaking news. It is already known that eating lots of red meat will lead to cancer.

The WHO didn't carry out the studies. They are just summarising other people's evidence and concluding that there is a probable risk.

The reality is that the increase in risk is relatively small. You have a small risk of having colorectal cancer. Increasing that risk by 18% means it is still a small risk.

To put it into context, they also class being a hairdresser or a barber or doing shift work as having a similar risk.
(edited 8 years ago)
This isn't breaking news.

Also, 18% more likely compared to what? These numbers are often taken out of context.

For example, I'm 100% more likely to win the lottery if I buy 2 tickets instead of 1.
Oh no - I've now got a 2/13983816 chance instead of 1/13983816 of winning - I'd better careful!!! :colonhash:

FYI, I don't eat meat. Though in terms of health I do think that people eat too much of it.
Reply 7
A risk I am willing to take.
we are all going to die... might as well have fun before then
As far as I can work out, it's excessive consumption that's the real problem. Eat it in moderation and you should be fine.

I don't like how this has been compared to smoking, which is addictive and therefore pretty much impossible to do "in moderation" (and increases cancer risk more than processed meat is alleged to). Bacon tastes nice but it's not addictive in that way. It's just not on the same level.
Bacon is good for me!!
What doesn't increase your chances of cancer?

Do we need the Daily Mail list of things that cause cancer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
What doesn't increase your chances of cancer?

Do we need the Daily Mail list of things that cause cancer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Savage.
Reply 13
This is bs this site is bs snobs with degrees wankin over the house of commons and daily mail
They've been at it for decades, have they found a causal link yet or this more clickbait nonsense?
Red meat (in excess) does increase the risk of colorectal cancer - this is ancient news.

David Spiegelhalter points out that this increases the chance that a given person gets bowel cancer from 5% to 6%.

www.ima.org.uk/_db/_documents/maths09_spiegelhalter.pdf

Note his talk was in 2009 and the news hasn't changed.
we knew this for ages

Link?

Eating 75g of meat, how often?

Original risk of cancer that now has been increased by 18%. Are we talking 0.000000000001% is now 0.00000000000118% or 50% is now 59%
Original post by Gwilym101
Link?

Eating 75g of meat, how often?

Original risk of cancer that now has been increased by 18%. Are we talking 0.000000000001% is now 0.00000000000118% or 50% is now 59%

See my post .... 5% to 6% for daily bacon sandwich.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending