The Student Room Group

Who's been to the states?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowman77
I wouldn't go to the US because I would be afraid of being shot. I've heard at least 5 cases in the news over the last 6 months of psychopaths going on murderous killing sprees in universities and other places. Until you change your gun laws, I am never going to the US.

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm afraid to go to school here in Texas because of that new campus carry law.

But it's not the whole US that's dangerous. Some states are safer than others. You have to be careful to check on the crime rates before you go anywhere. Those killing sprees usually happen in places where the gun culture is stronger, and where the gun laws are weakest. Some people will claim that giving more people guns so they can shoot the criminals with guns is an answer, but the evidence doesn't bear that out... even in Oregon, the courts forced them to allow guns on campus, and then people got shot.

If it wasn't for that Second Amendment, a lot of states would have banned the things already. :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by grvcex97
San Francisco is amazing. If you like a mix of the city life with outdoorsy-pacific northwest stuff, then it's the best place for that (along with Seattle). It's not as busy as NYC or LA

I live out in the east bay and I don't understand at all why people like San Francisco so much. I can't wait until next year when I'm living at uni in the UK
Been a few times, vermont (skiing), virginia, florida, NYCx2, sanfransico, colorado (skiing) LA(work), boston, chicargo.

I like the states, NYC and sanfraciso are my fav places.
Reply 143
Original post by nfthakar
I live out in the east bay and I don't understand at all why people like San Francisco so much. I can't wait until next year when I'm living at uni in the UK

It's all preference. Some people love it, some hate it. Can't deny, though, that its a big tourist city that a lot of people love. Same with London - my aunt who's been living there for a while doesn't like the city, but I can still see why people love it. Where are you studying? And is it for a degree? or just on a studying abroad program?
Yesss, finally someone who's going to Seattle! It is one of my favorite places ever. Make sure you not only go into the city, but go out into the forest and nature-y stuff to get the full PNW experience. Hope you have fun!

Definitely! Anything you'd recommend in particular in Seattle itself?

The plan for the trip is to get a car and go Vancouver -> Rockies -> Yellowstone -> Seattle -> Vancouver, with all the nature-y bits in between (:
Reply 145
Original post by TattyBoJangles

The plan for the trip is to get a car and go Vancouver -> Rockies -> Yellowstone -> Seattle -> Vancouver, with all the nature-y bits in between (:

lol your name?

Anybody been to Yellowstone/Yosemite/Lake Shasta? Worth it?
Reply 146
Original post by JD1lla
lol your name?

Anybody been to Yellowstone/Yosemite/Lake Shasta? Worth it?

Been to Yosemite and personally I loved it! But it's all about what you're into and how you experience it - because I know people who've been to Yosemite and absolutely despised it :P
Reply 147
Ahhh I'm so glad your favorite city was San Francisco! And that's cool you went island-hopping. You've been to more Hawaiian islands than I have haha
<---- *Tries to restrain himself*
Those are all to do with the people :/ I like the city itself.. food, buildings, just the lifestyle appeals to me
I loved the Smithsonian!
It's all preference. Some people love it, some hate it. Can't deny, though, that its a big tourist city that a lot of people love. Same with London - my aunt who's been living there for a while doesn't like the city, but I can still see why people love it. Where are you studying? And is it for a degree? or just on a studying abroad program?

Ive applied to Warwick, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Durham to study business. So far I've been accepted to Durham. Honestly I've been trying to find things other than in n out that I'll miss and its a pretty short list.
Been to the States twice. Places I've visited have all been west coast: Seattle, LA, San Francisco are the major cities.

Adored it, especially San Francisco, where I would move in a heartbeat if I could. As for the future, I love the US so I have so many places I'd like to explore, Louisiana, New York, Philly, Wisconsin, Texas, Portland. Oh and a return to San Francisco of course :tongue:
no one cares that youre from the states, typical american
Reply 154
Yes, I am. I don't have a liking to NYC either
I don't get why Americans come to England.
Reply 156
Original post by jlsmpV2
no one cares that youre from the states, typical american

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

obviously you cant do the Kenyan national anthem backwards...
Original post by Frostyjoe
I don't get why Americans come to England.

I'm sure the native Americans were saying the exact same about the English, 500 years ago.
Reply 159
Original post by TattyBoJangles

Kerry Park, Pike Place Market, Space Needle (I recommend going at night), Chihuly Gardens, Underground City, maybe catch a ferry ride at sunset - gives you a nice ocean horizon view and coming back you can see the skyline at night - Seattle Arboretum... if you're willing to drive about 2 hrs, Mount Rainer National Park; and if you're into this stuff, visit University of Washington and the area around it, which I personally loved.

Quick Reply

Latest