The Student Room Group

Help I not sure which course I should do?

I'm stuck between computer science and computer systems engineering and I just want to know which one is better and which one offers higher pay as well as the differences and pros and cons

Thanks
Original post by JD742
I'm stuck between computer science and computer systems engineering and I just want to know which one is better and which one offers higher pay as well as the differences and pros and cons

Thanks

Computer Systems = more hardware, more physics, more applied maths

Comp Sci = more software and more theoretical maths/concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Computer Systems = more hardware, more physics, more applied maths

Comp Sci = more software and more theoretical maths/concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile

But do you build computers from scratch in Comp engineering?
Which Uni's would you recommend for Comp systems engineering?
Original post by JD742
But do you build computers from scratch in Comp engineering?
Which Uni's would you recommend for Comp systems engineering?

You could if you wanted to, in say a group project. It's more about the underlying theory behind the hardware components, rather than building computer parts.

I got an offer from Lancaster last year for the course and when I went down for an applicants day I was veeerry impressed by what I saw, their newly built engineering building is absolutely stunning. Also had a chat with the academics there and they all seemed very down to earth.

Definitely Lancaster, Manchester, Strathclyde, Bath, QMUL, Sheffield, Loughborough etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
You could if you wanted to, in say a group project. It's more about the underlying theory behind the hardware components, rather than building computer parts.

I got an offer from Lancaster last year for the course and when I went down for an applicants day I was veeerry impressed by what I saw, their newly built engineering building is absolutely stunning. Also had a chat with the academics there and they all seemed very down to earth.

Definitely Lancaster, Manchester, Strathclyde, Bath, QMUL, Sheffield, Loughborough etc.

I'm planning to do a foundation year with the course as I haven't done any numerate A levels
I thinking of doing that at Essex of Kent Uni are any of these 2 good?

Quick Reply