The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are benefits still too generous in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Child tax credits should be cut to 1 child only and then eventually 0! it's a disgrace when hard working people need to pay for you to have children!

We have more than enough foreigners willing to flood in and make up the shortfall in population. If you can't afford them don't have them - simple.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Believe it was only for outside of the EU i believe.

eu migrants are not entitled to housing benefits or council tax reduction
Reply 42
Only people who have paid taxes and into the system should receive benefits.
the problem is that most of these dole scroungers would have been servants not so long ago. if decent families were encouraged to have servants again pretty much all of the problems mentioned above would be solved.
Are benefits still too generous in the UK?

Considering we attract migrants from relatively poorer countries like Romania, Latvia, Poland etc

Spoiler

Hi Bill. I think you've forgotten to mention Turkey? Seems they're on the verge of joining the EU. Interesting times.
On the issue of benefits I believe we've covered this before. Remember this?

[video="youtube;sLL7ek_sQrU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLL7ek_sQrU[/video]
Original post by OU Student
I am severely disabled. Because of my situation, (I live alone and no-one receives carers allowance for me) I receive an extra £61 ish a week. Under the Governments new plans, I will lose that.

I receive a basic amount (as does everyone out of work over 25) of roughly £73 a week. For the next 4 years, that will be frozen. In real terms, that is a loss.

I am all for supporting the disabled i have never called for cuts to disability.
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Hi Bill. I think you've forgotten to mention Turkey? Seems they're on the verge of joining the EU. Interesting

They are not on the verge of joining the EU. You don't know what you are talking about.
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Hi Bill. I think you've forgotten to mention Turkey? Seems they're on the verge of joining the EU. Interesting times.
On the issue of benefits I believe we've covered this before. Remember this?

[video="youtube;sLL7ek_sQrU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLL7ek_sQrU[/video]

I don't think they will be able to join personally.
There is a small problem with child benefit being misused by recipients - but that is not a problem with the benefit itself and slashing it will move many children whose parents are responsible into a situation where they have very little in the way of life chances. The way to go about it is increasing the social services budget and possibly regulating the spending of child benefit.
Original post by DorianGrayism
They are not on the verge of joining the EU. You don't know what you are talking about.

I don't think they will be able to join personally.

Quoting both of you first just in case. Nothing personal.
For the people who abuse the system, yes they are too generous.
For the people who actually need benefits, no, they're not too generous.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
There is a small problem with child benefit being misused by recipients - but that is not a problem with the benefit itself and slashing it will move many children whose parents are responsible into a situation where they have very little in the way of life chances. The way to go about it is increasing the social services budget and possibly regulating the spending of child benefit.

Why not just divert it more towards schools? i.e having more after schools clubs. Who can provide food and somewhere to do homework. Doesn't make sense to keep providing a benefit which does not reach the kids and then spending more to regulate it?

Food stamps is the next logical step for welfare in general.
Original post by OU Student
I am severely disabled. Because of my situation, (I live alone and no-one receives carers allowance for me) I receive an extra £61 ish a week. Under the Governments new plans, I will lose that.

I receive a basic amount (as does everyone out of work over 25) of roughly £73 a week. For the next 4 years, that will be frozen. In real terms, that is a loss.

Pensions and the disabled are two areas i whole heartedly support. I would happily cut other areas of the economy to provide for that.
Why not just divert it more towards schools? i.e having more after schools clubs. Who can provide food and somewhere to do homework. Doesn't make sense to keep providing a benefit which does not reach the kids and then spending more to regulate it?

What about the other times? Kids are in school about half the year. By far the biggest expenditures on children are outside of school.

I can support food stamps to a limited extent but people on welfare should also receive at least some cash, as it's perfectly reasonable for them to have recreational pursuits. Furthermore, if the first chunk of welfare payments is made in food stamps, the same should be done for normal salaries.

Unless it can be shown to be economically beneifical by controlling the diets of poor people, then I don't see the point. It will cost a significant amount to set up and then to police to prevent black market activity.
Reply 55
Unless it can be shown to be economically beneficial by controlling the diets of poor people, then I don't see the point. It will cost a significant amount to set up and then to police to prevent black market activity.

Of course it's economically viable, by making poor people buy healthier cheaper food you can safely reduce benefits to cover things like bills (which could be auto-mated), internet, tax (automated again) and rent (automated again) and a bit of money in cash to buy things like clothes and other needed or luxury items.

To prevent black market activity just implement an ID card system with photographic ID required, or even better just automate the delivery of food, the user just does their "shopping" online through a government service.
Unless it can be shown to be economically beneifical by controlling the diets of poor people, then I don't see the point. It will cost a significant amount to set up and then to police to prevent black market activity.

As above - ID required for purchase, no alcohol no cigs. Only top 4 supermarkets.
Original post by TheNote
Of course it's economically viable, by making poor people buy healthier cheaper food you can safely reduce benefits to cover things like bills (which could be auto-mated), internet, tax (automated again) and rent (automated again) and a bit of money in cash to buy things like clothes and other needed or luxury items.

To prevent black market activity just implement an ID card system with photographic ID required, or even better just automate the delivery of food, the user just does their "shopping" online through a government service.

Well, you don't know that. There has been no economic cost analysis of setting up such a system. You don't know how much a Government Department to overlook the process would be. You don't know the cost of policing such a system to stop fraud. You don't know how much an ID card system with photographic ID would be. The last suggestion of online government shopping portal is just stupid.
As above - ID required for purchase, no alcohol no cigs. Only top 4 supermarkets.

Well, his suggestions were stupid, so I hope it is better than that.
Well, you don't know that. There has been no economic cost analysis of setting up such a system. You don't know how much a Government Department to overlook the process would be. You don't know the cost of policing such a system to stop fraud. You don't know how much an ID card system with photographic ID would be. The last suggestion of online government shopping portal is just stupid.

LOL it would be pretty easy. See how the US does it. Do you want the poor to have poor health through alcohol + cigs or something? do you want to just kill them off? and deprive their children?

This is the best way.