The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls - What Impressions do you get of Gerald?

I am completed stumped on finding 10 points for the impressions I get of Gerald for the lines below. Could anybody help me find some good quotes? Thanks

Gerald (with an effort) inspector, I think miss birling ought to beexcused any more of this questioning. She'd nothing more to tell you. She's hada long exciting and tiring day we were celebrating our engagement, you know –and now she's obviously had about as much as she can stand. You heardher.
Sheila He means that I'm getting hysterical now.
Inspector:And are you?
Sheila probably.
Inspector:well, I don't want to keep you here. I've no more questions to ask you.
Sheila:no, but you haven't finished asking questions have you?
Inspector:No.
Sheila:frown:to gerald) You see? (to inspector.) then I'm staying.
Gerald:Why should you? It's bound to be unpleasant and disturbing.
Inspector:and you think young women ought to be protected against unpleasant anddisturbing things?
Gerald:if possible yes.
Inspector: well, we know one young woman who wasn't, don't we?
Gerald: I suppose I asked for that.
Sheila : becareful you don't ask for more, gerald.
Gerald: I only ment to say to you why stay when you'll hate it?
Sheila: Itcan't be any worse for me than it has been. And it might be better.
Gerald: (bitterly) I see.
Sheila:what do you see?
Gerald: You've been throughit and now you want to see somebody else put through it.
Sheila: (bitterly) so that's what you think I'm like. I'm glad I realized itin time, Gerald.
Gerald: no, no, I didn't mean-
Sheila: (cutting in) Yes, you did. And if you'd really loved me, youcouldn't have said that. You listened to that nice story about me. I got thatgirl sacked from Milwards. And now you've made up your mind I must obviously bea selfish, vindictive creature.
Gerald: I neither said thatnor even suggested it.
Sheila: Then why say I wantto see somebody else put through it? That's not what I mean at all.
Gerald: All right then, I'msorry.
Sheila: Yes, but you don'tbelieve me. And this is just the wrong time not to believe me.
Hi there,

I had to analyse this in school a few weeks ago so here are a few points I had- hope they are useful:

1. When Gerald says 'I think Miss Birling is ought to be excused', and also when he says it is 'bound to be unpleasant and disturbing', you could say that although he did have an affair, he still cares about how she feels as he does not want to upset her.
2. The inspector then asks about Gerald's view on protecting women from 'unpleasant' things, he replies 'If possible yes' which shows that Gerald feels it is his duty to protect woman , perhaps as he sees them as 'vulnerable' and 'fragile'. However, saying this, in both cases for Sheila and Eva, he has not been very successful. Gerald sees himself as the stronger gender and therefore men should use it for kindess...
3. When Sheila says 'so that's what you think I'm really like'.... and Gerald says 'no, no, I didn't mean'. This shows that Gerald's intentions are often misconstrued such as when he wanted to help Eva but it then turned to love.

Sorry I only have three but I hope it helps anyway!
Original post by leopard923
Hi there,

I had to analyse this in school a few weeks ago so here are a few points I had- hope they are useful:

1. When Gerald says 'I think Miss Birling is ought to be excused', and also when he says it is 'bound to be unpleasant and disturbing', you could say that although he did have an affair, he still cares about how she feels as he does not want to upset her.
2. The inspector then asks about Gerald's view on protecting women from 'unpleasant' things, he replies 'If possible yes' which shows that Gerald feels it is his duty to protect woman , perhaps as he sees them as 'vulnerable' and 'fragile'. However, saying this, in both cases for Sheila and Eva, he has not been very successful. Gerald sees himself as the stronger gender and therefore men should use it for kindess...
3. When Sheila says 'so that's what you think I'm really like'.... and Gerald says 'no, no, I didn't mean'. This shows that Gerald's intentions are often misconstrued such as when he wanted to help Eva but it then turned to love.

Wow, thankyou, this has really helped. I don't really struggle with analysis but this one just stumped me (of course, I got five points before but they were basic)
Hi there,

Btw when you do an extract question, can make two explanations and get two marks for it or do they have to be separate. For example
"I think Miss Birling ought to be excused"
1) He actually does care about her as he wants to protect her.
2) He is being selfish
Original post by danielwinstanley
Btw when you do an extract question, can make two explanations and get two marks for it or do they have to be separate. For example
"I think Miss Birling ought to be excused"
1) He actually does care about her as he wants to protect her.
2) He is being selfish

I would say you could do two different interpretations at the same time. My teacher says it is good to explore other interpretations because it shows you are thinking outside the box. I would probably be best to do them in the same paragraph and say you can learn two things about Gerald in the one sentences. If your just listing however, they could be separate :smile:
I would say you could do two different interpretations at the same time. My teacher says it is good to explore other interpretations because it shows you are thinking outside the box. I would probably be best to do them in the same paragraph and say you can learn two things about Gerald in the one sentences. If your just listing however, they could be separate :smile:

I would do them in the same paragraph, I am just listing things before I begin to write up my answer :smile:
I would do them in the same paragraph, I am just listing things before I begin to write up my answer :smile:

Oh ok then I would do them in one paragraph :smile:. Good luck finding 10 anyway! It is quite a difficult passage!
Oh ok then I would do them in one paragraph :smile:. Good luck finding 10 anyway! It is quite a difficult passage!

Thanks, I currently have 5 quotes and 7 points. I will probably procrastinate for a while then give up. .
:biggrin:haha lool I think anyone would with such boring homework:tongue:
:biggrin:haha lool I think anyone would with such boring homework:tongue:

The worst thing is, in the exam, we are expected to spend 20 minutes on these types of questions. I've been procrastinating for 40 minutes and there's not a single word on my page. That'd be me failing english literature
Oh my- I know- it scares me lool ! It takes me like 5 years to write an essay for English! At least it isn't just me !
Oh my- I know- it scares me lool ! It takes me like 5 years to write an essay for English! At least it isn't just me !

I am just dreading the new GCSEs. We have to remember all of An Inspector Calls, unseen poetry and A Christmas Carol all for one exam. I would probably end up spending the whole two hours on the extract question if I couldn't do it and that's all I'd do.
I am just dreading the new GCSEs. We have to remember all of An Inspector Calls, unseen poetry and A Christmas Carol all for one exam. I would probably end up spending the whole two hours on the extract question if I couldn't do it and that's all I'd do.

Oh you're doing the new GCSEs! I'm still the old ones :tongue: I feel so sorry for all of you its way too difficult!
Oh you're doing the new GCSEs! I'm still the old ones :tongue: I feel so sorry for all of you its way too difficult!

I'm not that bothered about the actual ENGLISH aspect but it's the remembering part I am worried about. Basically, in An Inspector Calls, there is 6 characters and a ton of themes.
I'm not that bothered about the actual ENGLISH aspect but it's the remembering part I am worried about. Basically, in An Inspector Calls, there is 6 characters and a ton of themes.

Yeah, I see what you mean, there are like 172943573 themes !

Quick Reply

Latest