The Student Room Group

When will A Levels start being hard?

I'm currently doing my AS in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Tbh, I have yet to feel that 'jump' people were going on about as I don't find the content that hard right now and am understanding everything. I have done some tests also and have been getting good marks; however, I'm worried that I may not be doing enough... and it may hit me too late. All I've done so far outside of lessons is do my homework (try to do them to high standards) and honestly, haven't used my study periods effectively at all as we're allowed to do whatever then.
Do you think I need to do more? Also, any advice? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by funkybinoculars
I'm currently doing my AS in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Tbh, I have yet to feel that 'jump' people were going on about as I don't find the content that hard right now and am understanding everything. I have done some tests also and have been getting good marks; however, I'm worried that I may not be doing enough... and it may hit me too late. All I've done so far outside of lessons is do my homework (try to do them to high standards) and honestly, haven't used my study periods effectively at all as we're allowed to do whatever then.

Things like this are really dependent on how good you are at understanding the material (do NOT confuse this with "natural ability in the subject"!). So if you're good at it, obviously you'll find things a lot easier. Jumps may not happen at the start of AS either. Sometimes (like with Chemistry), the jump happens at A2. Just work hard and keep getting good marks. You'll be fine

I squandered most of my study periods last year, and I don't regret it as I couldn't have achieved better had I used them. (Not saying I did well - I didn't! Just saying it wouldn't have made a difference to me xD)

Literally lol. If you're not finding them hard, you're missing something. Wait until mocks and exam periods then try telling us they're easy. Especially as all you're doing is homework, which is exactly what I did and ended up with EEUU and retaking the year.

A levels are not hard. You just have to revise the content and do the past papers. The only difference between A levels and GCSE's are that you WON'T be able to cram and avoid past papers and get the best grade possible, because you need to know how to apply the knowledge rather than just giving vague answers with some knowledge you have crammed.:smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Literally lol. If you're not finding them hard, you're missing something. Wait until mocks and exam periods then try telling us they're easy. Especially as all you're doing is homework, which is exactly what I did and ended up with EEUU and retaking the year.

I think you're talking too much off personal experience. All I did was homework and ended up with relatively good grades. The A level experience will differ from person to person.

Heya. I think the jump is gradual. For now, what you're doing sounds great and if you aren't struggling you shouldn't feel the need to work every hour of the day. However, I would suggest taking some time this half term to start writing out some notes as this will save you a lot of grief in the run up to exams.

In terms of when you will feel a jump: personally the jump for me came when I needed to start revising as I realised there was a lot of content to cover.

I think as long as you try your best and try to relax when you can - your AS levels will be fine. xxx
I spent all of AS anticipating the hard stuff but it never came. I did Biology,Chemistry and Geography. I'm doing A2 now and Biology's very hard (apparently we're currently doing the hardest sub topic in the subject) and Chemistry requires loads of work outside of lessons (although I wouldn't say it's more difficult) meanwhile Geography is easier than last year.
Original post by Student403
Things like this are really dependent on how good you are at understanding the material (do NOT confuse this with "natural ability in the subject"!). So if you're good at it, obviously you'll find things a lot easier. Jumps may not happen at the start of AS either. Sometimes (like with Chemistry), the jump happens at A2. Just work hard and keep getting good marks. You'll be fine

I squandered most of my study periods last year, and I don't regret it as I couldn't have achieved better had I used them. (Not saying I did well - I didn't! Just saying it wouldn't have made a difference to me xD)

I think you're talking too much off personal experience. All I did was homework and ended up with relatively good grades. The A level experience will differ from person to person.

So are you, loads of people have to work their butts off.
So are you, loads of people have to work their butts off.

I've added a little bit at the end because I can relate to OP, and hopefully he can relate to me. OP does well in class tests, does his homework, and is cruising along his course, so I've tailored my answer to his situation. We're talking about OP here, not "loads of people".
I've added a little bit at the end because I can relate to OP, and hopefully he can relate to me. OP does well in class tests, does his homework, and is cruising along his course, so I've tailored my answer to his situation. We're talking about OP here, not "loads of people".

Yep, but the thing is, I got A's in all the homeworks but because I didn't do any other revision which OP has admitted to I got those grades. It could go either way and I'm simply warning OP of that.
Don't worry, it depends on the person but it's not exactly hard. It's all down to how clever you are. I think the jump is mostly for people who scraped a pass at GCSE who may then struggle at A level but don't worry, it's likely to get no harder, just keep doing what you're doing if it is working! :biggrin:

Lol what did you expect? It's only the second month of sixth form/college, of course it's going to be piss easy; you've only gone through the basics...:facepalm:

There was never really a 'jump' in AS for me, there was no point where I thought wtf, this is incredibly difficult. It's just a slight increase in difficulty but nothing like the A level/uni gap.
Yep, but the thing is, I got A's in all the homeworks but because I didn't do any other revision which OP has admitted to I got those grades. It could go either way and I'm simply warning OP of that.

Yup. You're making a completely a fair point that these things happen. I was like that too. An A student all year in one of my subjects and ended up with a C in the final exam. But that's the exam. The reason I brought this issue up was because of this.

If you're not finding them hard, you're missing something

Definitely good preparation is essential, but I don't think OP is "missing something" if he/she is not finding it hard now.
Yup. You're making a completely a fair point that these things happen. I was like that too. An A student all year in one of my subjects and ended up with a C in the final exam. But that's the exam. The reason I brought this issue up was because of this.

Definitely good preparation is essential, but I don't think OP is "missing something" if he/she is not finding it hard now.

Ah, right, ok. I will apologise for that comment. I am just getting frustrated by the posts (not necessarily this one) that almost seem to boast about how easy A-Levels are and then other posts about finding the same subject hard. Being one of the latter posters myself this last year I know how awful I felt about my subject being apparently 'easy'.
Reply 14

I'm currently doing A2 Physics and Maths. AS-level was easy, as you say. I have not experienced the 'jump' either; I honestly think GCSEs were harder.

A2 Maths is still quite easy. Some of the later A2 Physics topics are a little harder, but the exams are still generic.

Thank you all for your comments. Yeah, this is what I'm worried about... I am understanding the content right now and can remember a lot of the stuff I've learnt, compared to gcse when I used to forget literally everything straight after lesson. My teachers set us end of topic tests so revising for them helps me understand the topic more and retain the info I've learnt. I do admit, I am doing a lot more and more work is set so I just don't know if it was enough. I'm just wondering if I should be revising a lot right now, like everyday, even with the topics I understand?
Ah, right, ok. I will apologise for that comment. I am just getting frustrated by the posts (not necessarily this one) that almost seem to boast about how easy A-Levels are and then other posts about finding the same subject hard. Being one of the latter posters myself this last year I know how awful I felt about my subject being apparently 'easy'.

I agree with you. I hate when people go to either extreme and say "A levels are easy" OR "A levels are so hard etc etc etc". It's down to personal experience!! Sorry you feel that way btw :frown: Remember that it's about how you feel about a subject, not what everyone else feels.

E.g. I'm 10x better in my science/maths subjects than in a humanities subject I take, and yet many people talk about how hard my science subjects are in comparison to said humanities. It's weird for me too, haha.
I found the same until A2, then I noticed the difference.
Reply 18
You might not ever find them hard...it was probably because I just did a lot of work but I also didn't feel a jump, except maybe when it came to some parts of A2 physics.
I agree with you. I hate when people go to either extreme and say "A levels are easy" OR "A levels are so hard etc etc etc". It's down to personal experience!! Sorry you feel that way btw :frown: Remember that it's about how you feel about a subject, not what everyone else feels.

E.g. I'm 10x better in my science/maths subjects than in a humanities subject I take, and yet many people talk about how hard my science subjects are in comparison to said humanities. It's weird for me too, haha.

I apologise again if I seemed a little harsh in the previous comments, I don't know what's wrong with me today haha :smile: Yeah I've posted on here a couple of times asking for help on a subject only to be told 'it's a guaranteed A' or 'a soft subject'. You're right, it IS down to the person and opinions cannot be generalised to everyone studying that subject. It's about finding which subjects are right for you.

I myself am stunned how at A-Level I suddenly seem to be better at essay subjects whereas in GCSEs my strengths always lay in Maths/Science.

Thank you all for your comments. Yeah, this is what I'm worried about... I am understanding the content right now and can remember a lot of the stuff I've learnt, compared to gcse when I used to forget literally everything straight after lesson. My teachers set us end of topic tests so revising for them helps me understand the topic more and retain the info I've learnt. I do admit, I am doing a lot more and more work is set so I just don't know if it was enough. I'm just wondering if I should be revising a lot right now, like everyday, even with the topics I understand?

If you're understanding it then you're likely fine. Sounds like you have some good teachers too! Making some revision resources may help you when it comes to exams though - maybe cue cards with key words on?

Quick Reply

Latest