The Student Room Group

Not declaring spanish gcse on ucas

Hi guysss , basically as the title states i have unfortunately flunked spanish gcse.
to be honest i simply didnt care so i failed it and gained an E grade.

This caused me to gain 7A* and one E at GCSE. screw me right???.
so i was thinking if i simply did not put my spanish gcse that isnt lying its literally me missing out a bit of info?.

atleast its better than boosting my GCSE grade because at that point i will undoubtedly be noticed.

So my question to you is should i just leave the spanish gcse out or should i boost it to a C?

P.S. Screw you Spanish

Scroll to see replies

You definitely shouldn't declare your GCSE Spanish at a C grade - it's lying and unprofessional.
Original post by throwaway12321
Hi guysss , basically as the title states i have unfortunately flunked spanish gcse.
to be honest i simply didnt care so i failed it and gained an E grade.

This caused me to gain 7A* and one E at GCSE. screw me right???.
so i was thinking if i simply did not put my spanish gcse that isnt lying its literally me missing out a bit of info?.

atleast its better than boosting my GCSE grade because at that point i will undoubtedly be noticed.

So my question to you is should i just leave the spanish gcse out or should i boost it to a C?

P.S. Screw you Spanish

http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

Since both of these courses of action will result in your application being fraudulent and cancelled, I'd advise not following them and telling the truth. Since you will have to produce your GCSE certificates and/or your referee will have to confirm that what you say is true, it's a non-starter.
My boyfriend was forced to do critical studies at a level and got an e/d so he didn't include it and nothing happened :smile:
then his application was fraudulent
Original post by Hevachan
My boyfriend was forced to do critical studies at a level and got an e/d so he didn't include it and nothing happened :smile:

Your boyfriend being lucky enough to attend a university that didn't mind when they found out about his fraud at the start of his second year (this is when universities can match results against the national pupil database) isn't a reason to encourage another person to submit a fraudulent application.

Although unless your boyfriend has graduated then he's still not in the clear. I'm aware of at least 3 students who were removed from their degrees a few years into the course when their fraudulent applications were found out.
Original post by PQ
Although unless your boyfriend has graduated then he's still not in the clear. I'm aware of at least 3 students who were removed from their degrees a few years into the course when their fraudulent applications were found out.

I'm not trying to encourage the OP to go through with his/her plan to lie about/omit important information on his or her application but surely those three students would have committed fraud that was more substantial than missing out one grade in an irrelevant subject? I can't imagine universities making a fuss about it well into the course unless the subject the OP was studying for was Spanish which, given the note saying 'screw you Spanish' at the end, is unlikely.
Declare it.

No matter what, no matter how badly you do in a subject, always declare it. If you don't then your university has grounds to kick you out. Don't risk it. They won't care about one **** grade, but they will care about you lying.
Original post by PQ
Your boyfriend being lucky enough to attend a university that didn't mind when they found out about his fraud at the start of his second year (this is when universities can match results against the national pupil database) isn't a reason to encourage another person to submit a fraudulent application.

He graduated 3 years ago from Sheffield :smile: I'm not saying do it I'm just giving my experience of it
Original post by Hevachan
He graduated 3 years ago from Sheffield :smile: I'm not saying do it I'm just giving my experience of it

The rules on declaring grades where clarified about 3 years ago. And the checks on qualifications were tightened up for 2012 entry (when grades meant the difference between a university getting funding or getting penalised). So what would have been ok and unlikely to be picked up on for someone applying in 2010/2011 could cause problems for someone today:smile:
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not trying to encourage the OP to go through with his/her plan to lie about/omit important information on his or her application but surely those three students would have committed fraud that was more substantial than missing out one grade in an irrelevant subject? I can't imagine universities making a fuss about it well into the course unless the subject the OP was studying for was Spanish which, given the note saying 'screw you Spanish' at the end, is unlikely.

One of the cases I know of was exactly that. Someone on a medicine degree who didn't declare an early AS attempt (with low grade) that was picked up. Unfortunately for medics they are held to fitness for practice which means even the smallest lie in an application can be enough to lose you your place.
Reply 11
BASICALLY if you didn't get a certificate for it then you don't need to declare it. If you did then you should - and honestly an E at GCSE Spanish is nothing, they're not gonna care unless you are applying to do undergraduate Spanish; unis only really focus on your maths, English and science grades.
Original post by PQ
One of the cases I know of was exactly that. Someone on a medicine degree who didn't declare an early AS attempt (with low grade) that was picked up. Unfortunately for medics they are held to fitness for practice which means even the smallest lie in an application can be enough to lose you your place.

Fair enough, I suppose. Did that person ever manage to get back in to do medicine or was that the end of the line for them?
Original post by PQ
The rules on declaring grades where clarified about 3 years ago. And the checks on qualifications were tightened up for 2012 entry (when grades meant the difference between a university getting funding or getting penalised). So what would have been ok and unlikely to be picked up on for someone applying in 2010/2011 could cause problems for someone today:smile:

Ahh okay that makes sense! ^^

Sorry op ignore me :smile: declare it!!!!
Original post by Hydeman
Fair enough, I suppose. Did that person ever manage to get back in to do medicine or was that the end of the line for them?

I don't know where they ended up after they were chucked off the course. But any reference from the university would be obligated to explain the circumstances surrounding the removal which isn't going to be helpful in finding a place elsewhere. Plus after 3 years of student finance that would leave 2 years with no funding on a new course.
Original post by PQ
I don't know where they ended up after they were chucked off the course. But any reference from the university would be obligated to explain the circumstances surrounding the removal which isn't going to be helpful in finding a place elsewhere. Plus after 3 years of student finance that would leave 2 years with no funding on a new course.

If you ever want to make a thread on this over in medicine, I will sticky it with great pleasure.
I'm the same as this. I got 5As and 5A*s, and then an F in music GCSE. Will this put me at a disadvantage? :/ I've got a certificate with it on, so I guess it means I need to declare.

I didn't even sit the exam, though...I refused, so that grade is merely from my coursework, which I did well at unfortunately.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Save.Me
I'm the same as this. I got 5As and 5A*s, and then an F in music GCSE. Will this put me at a disadvantage? :/ I've got a certificate with it on, so I guess it means I need to declare.

I didn't even sit the exam, though...I refused, so that grade is merely from my coursework, which I did well at unfortunately.

It wont disadvantage you.

If you're worried ask your referee to explain that the grade is based only on coursework.
Original post by PQ
It wont disadvantage you.

If you're worried ask your referee to explain that the grade is based only on coursework.

I can't because I've changed schools since then, but oh well. I hope that universities don't penalise me for it :frown:
Original post by Save.Me
I can't because I've changed schools since then, but oh well. I hope that universities don't penalise me for it :frown:

You can talk to your referee and ask them - if they aren't willing to put that information in then fine - although your results slip should show that you didn't attend the exam so you should have some proof - your grade on your results slip should have a # mark next to it (# indicates that you were absent for part of the exam in the subject and awarded a zero mark for this part.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending