The Student Room Group

Further Pure AS

So I'm doing GCE Mathematics A level.
I am doing C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and M2.

If I pick up IAL Further Pure AS, is it possible to do FP1, M1 and M2?

Or are IAL and GCE M1 and M2 counted as the same modules?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Big_E

Yes as they have exactly the same specification.
Reply 2
Original post by tiny hobbit
Yes as they have exactly the same specification.

So I can't do FP1 M1 and M2 for further pure AS IAL if I've done M1 and M2 GCE?
So I can't do FP1 M1 and M2 for further pure AS IAL if I've done M1 and M2 GCE?

Correct.

I assume you mean Further Maths AS (not Further Pure).
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Hobbit, I kinda do believe you, but the exams coordinator at my school said I can do Further Maths IAL with M1 and M2, and she's actually already put me in for it. I don't know who to believe :frown:
Hobbit, I kinda do believe you, but the exams coordinator at my school said I can do Further Maths IAL with M1 and M2, and she's actually already put me in for it. I don't know who to believe :frown:

I suggest that you email Graham at Edexcel:
[email protected]
Reply 7
I suggest that you email Graham at Edexcel:
[email protected]

Tyvm, will do.
Reply 8

1. you cannot mix IAL and GCE units together for Mathematics
2. you cannot reuse a module for another qualification, so redoing M1 and M2 aren't options.

You'd have to sit for GCE Further Maths AS with FP1 and two other applied or pure units you haven't used already. I'm absolutely certain of what I'm saying.
Reply 9
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
1. you cannot mix IAL and GCE units together for Mathematics
2. you cannot reuse a module for another qualification, so redoing M1 and M2 aren't options.

You'd have to sit for GCE Further Maths AS with FP1 and two other applied or pure units you haven't used already. I'm absolutely certain of what I'm saying.

But I'm not mixing IAL and GCE modules for my qualifications. I'm using GCE for mathematics and planning on doing IAL for further maths.

And I know I cannot reuse M1 and M2 for Further Maths AS if I've used M1 and M2 for Mathematics A level.

But I thought that only applies if you're doing Further Mathematics and Mathematics courses both on IAL or GCE, but what if you do one of them on IAL and the other on GCE?
But I'm not mixing IAL and GCE modules for my qualifications. I'm using GCE for mathematics and planning on doing IAL for further maths.

And I know I cannot reuse M1 and M2 for Further Maths AS if I've used M1 and M2 for Mathematics A level.

But I thought that only applies if you're doing Further Mathematics and Mathematics courses both on IAL or GCE, but what if you do one of them on IAL and the other on GCE?

Ask Graham.

It states in various specifications that, if you want to take FM on a different board from your Maths A level, you have to check with the board which units you can take. I think this would apply to you and say that you can't include M1 and M2 in FM when you've already used them for Maths.

Why are you taking FM IAL anyway? Is it so that you can do it in January?
Reply 11
Ask Graham.

It states in various specifications that, if you want to take FM on a different board from your Maths A level, you have to check with the board which units you can take. I think this would apply to you and say that you can't include M1 and M2 in FM when you've already used them for Maths.

Why are you taking FM IAL anyway? Is it so that you can do it in January?

Well I wanted to do IAL FM only cause I was hoping that I could do M1 and M2 again. I kind of worry that I wouldn't have enough time if i had to do C3, C4, M2, FP1 and two new modules, ontop of physics work and computing coursework in one year. Also, I would have done M1 in Jan because I still remember most of it from last year :P

But oh well 😞
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I wanted to do IAL FM only cause I was hoping that I could do M1 and M2 again. I kind of worry that I wouldn't have enough time if i had to do C3, C4, M2, FP1 and two new modules, ontop of physics work and computing coursework in one year. Also, I would have done M1 in Jan because I still remember most of it from last year :P

But oh well 😞

It sounds rather similar to those students who tell you that they have 5 science GCSEs. What they really mean is that they did Core and Additional Science and then the 3 separate sciences later. Since 2/3 of each separate science syllabus is in Core and Additional, they've only done the material for 3 GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest