The Student Room Group

URGENT: Is it rude to ask a friend to return a gift?

It was recently a friend's birthday, and I bought her a bracelet. When I gave it to her, she said she liked it and everything. She even wore it for the whole night we celebrated her birthday. Then, now she messaged me asking if I could return her gift and buy her something else.

Is this rude?

I don't want to jump the gun, because she is my friend, but if it was me, and someone had given me something I didn't like, I wouldn't let them know I don't like it, and I most definitely wouldn't ask her to exchange it for something else.

Scroll to see replies

rude, ungrateful cow
That's rude in my opinion, ungrateful b**** :tongue:
Reply 3
Personally, I would find that extremely rude and ungrateful.
Reply 4
return it and buy her garbage disposal bags instead
Wow how ungrateful of hee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samina_ay
rude, ungrateful cow

a little harsh , i must say :colonhash:
Just returning the gift I could maybe have let slide if it had been handled well. Asking you to go and buy something else is outrageous though, definitely rude.
Not rude, they're just being upfront.

Would you rather her keep a bracelet she hates or not be honest with you:smile:

Imagine the Chanillor/Joey episode with the bracelet...

PS: Did she say she'll buy something else or you should, the latter is kind of rude.
(edited 8 years ago)
Destroy Her
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by REMLewis
a little harsh , i must say :colonhash:

it is rude though - personally if someone gave me a gift and i didn't like it, i wouldn't give it back to them and tell them to return it for another one lol. I'd appreciate the fact that they've even bothered to get me a gift
I would prefer this. Better than her throwing it away or something. The purpose of buying her a gift was to make her happy, not make your ego happy because you chose a gift she liked

F buying her another gift tho, tell her to pick something she likes and then you can buy it her
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Take back your present and give this to her instead

Attachment not found

To show her what a ****ty friend she is
(edited 8 years ago)
Sounds pretty rude but it depends on the relationship, if a close friend did this I wouldn't mind..
Original post by Tom Jickleson
Destroy Her

shall i destroy you too :P:P:P ly x
Do you still have the receipt for it? Give that to her & tell her she can return it and get what she wants.

I wouldn't mind if someone asked me for the receipt to return something (I often include a gift receipt with things like jewellery since you can't be sure if the person will like it), but imo asking someone to return a gift and buy something else is downright rude.
Original post by samina_ay
it is rude though - personally if someone gave me a gift and i didn't like it, i wouldn't give it back to them and tell them to return it for another one lol. I'd appreciate the fact that they've even bothered to get me a gift

agree with you on the "give it back" part, it is a matter of appreciation and gratefulness, although i don't believe that the person simply stating that they dislike or aren't fussed by the gift is an invitation to be called rude.For example, it would be fine if she said "it's not quite my thing, but thank you.." or "I'd appreciate it if you could take this back and exchange for something different (--*with reason> the top is too small....or "i think it would suit you better- i shall buy something different for myself.." e.c.t
She should be thankful you even bought her a gift. After all its the thought that counts right. Lol. So basically she wore the bracelet. Then has the nerve to tell you to exchange it for something better. Which is basically saying you have bad taste in gifts. You need to question your friendship. Rude is an understatement mate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by REMLewis
agree with you on the "give it back" part, it is a matter of appreciation and gratefulness, although i don't believe that the person simply stating that they dislike or aren't fussed by the gift is an invitation to be called rude.For example, it would be fine if she said "it's not quite my thing, but thank you.." or "I'd appreciate it if you could take this back and exchange for something different (--*with reason> the top is too small....or "i think it would suit you better- i shall buy something different for myself.." e.c.t

I guess you're right in that sense..
Original post by RBalboa
shall i destroy you too :P:P:P ly x

:colondollar::smug::wink2::sly::london: x

Quick Reply

Latest