The Student Room Group

Computer Science vs Economics vs Engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I need some advice basically I'm planning to do Computer System Engineering and I was thinking of do that at Kent or Essex does anyone have any advice for me?
and is there any other Uni's doing that course?
My only back up is Comp Sci at Oxford Brookes as my current Alevels are not Numerate but I do have a little experience in Comp sci as I did in gcse and got a B grade
Original post by JD742
I need some advice basically I'm planning to do Computer System Engineering and I was thinking of do that at Kent or Essex does anyone have any advice for me?
and is there any other Uni's doing that course?
My only back up is Comp Sci at Oxford Brookes as my current Alevels are not Numerate but I do have a little experience in Comp sci as I did in gcse and got a B grade

Why don't you do computer science instead? You're not required to do Maths are the majority of Uni's. It's a numerate degree but everything is taught from cratch and if you do need help with the maths part the Unis helps with this aspect.
Reply 62
Original post by alexp98
Why don't you do computer science instead? You're not required to do Maths are the majority of Uni's. It's a numerate degree but everything is taught from cratch and if you do need help with the maths part the Unis helps with this aspect.

I'm only average when it comes coding and I looked up on Comp engineering and I found it interesting compared to comp sci which at gcse we mainly did coding and a project but I wasn't interested 100%
Reply 63
Original post by multiratiunculae
While this is largely factually correct, can you explain why so few go for chemical engineering? At most universities, it's the smallest engineering department.

Well firstly you make it sound like a bad thing, but in reality it keeps the wages high and job employment prospects are pretty good with most decent universities having employment rates above 70% within the first six months (im assuming anyone not employed within the first year isnt looking for a job or probably got a 2:2)
Its probably the smallest because its not very easy to get into. The lowest requirements are still around ABB-BBB so my best guess is people would rather go into medicine or something with such high grades not knowing how well chemical engineers are actually paid and how good career prospects are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 76584
Well firstly you make it sound like a bad thing, but in reality it keeps the wages high and job employment prospects are pretty good with most decent universities having employment rates above 70% within the first six months (im assuming anyone not employed within the first year isnt looking for a job or probably got a 2:2)
Its probably the smallest because its not very easy to get into. The lowest requirements are still around ABB-BBB so my best guess is people would rather go into medicine or something with such high grades not knowing how well chemical engineers are actually paid and how good career prospects are.

Are you a chemical engineer?
Reply 65
Are you a chemical engineer?

no ahaha. Not 100% sure what i want to do but chemical engineering is a strong possibility
Original post by alexp98
Computer science is more respected than engineering. Economics and CS are both equal IMO,in terms of respect and graduate opportunities and salary. Although this would depend on the uni of course, but generally computer science and economics are up there along with medicine as the highest salary for graduates. In terms of content, with both economics and computer sci as they're both very numerate you can do pretty much whatever you want. There are thousands of computer scientists that work as bankers or accountants, you don't have to do a finance or economics degree. Overall, I think you should do economics or computer sci as they are both 2 of the most solid degrees possible. Just think about if you would enjoy sitting on a computer most of the day in labs and lectures, or economics which is probably a mixture of debates, presentations and applying theory. Personally I'm going for computer science, but do love econ too.

Thats the most dumbest thing I've read on this post
Original post by bigboateng_
Thats the most dumbest thing I've read on this post

Care to elaborate?
With CS a lot of people learn to code at home and I know that it's not just about coding but at the end of the day that's really where the money comes in? I feel like CS is an overcrowded graduate market - I'm going to be bias because I want to study engineering but I think with a subject like engineering you need to have good facilities and that will most likely require good grades
Original post by ememoville
With CS a lot of people learn to code at home and I know that it's not just about coding but at the end of the day that's really where the money comes in? I feel like CS is an overcrowded graduate market - I'm going to be bias because I want to study engineering but I think with a subject like engineering you need to have good facilities and that will most likely require good grades

a woman in engineering?
a woman in engineering?

Yep
Functioning as a prostitute? :smile:

Because even male engineers need sex.

What the **** is wrong with you? Please don't associate yourself with the STEM world. You're an embarrassment to us all and don't belong here.
Original post by tanyapotter
What the **** is wrong with you? Please don't associate yourself with the STEM world. You're an embarrassment to us all and don't belong here.

:smile:
:smile:

If you're so sexually frustrated, why not engineer a mechanical hand and go **** YOURSELF WITH IT :biggrin:
If you're so sexually frustrated, why not engineer a mechanical hand and go **** YOURSELF WITH IT :biggrin:

haha yes, I love the attitude :wink:
A hobby of mine is offending people over the internet; don't feed the trolls - joke with them. Indeed, my business card one day will read 'virgin engineer'. I should've chosen psychology if I wanted bitchez.
haha yes, I love the attitude :wink:
A hobby of mine is offending people over the internet; don't feed the trolls - joke with them. Indeed, my business card one day will read 'virgin engineer'. I should've chosen psychology if I wanted bitchez.

Why? Why not do something productive like maths? Or reading a book?
Why? Why not do something productive like maths? Or reading a book?

My day today consisted of about 6 hours of just maths. I read before going to sleep. To be a well-rounded individual I need to offend people over the internet; I am an expert at it.
My day today consisted of about 6 hours of just maths. I read before going to sleep. To be a well-rounded individual I need to offend people over the internet; I am an expert at it.

I did 8 hours of just maths. :smile:
I did 8 hours of just maths. :smile:

What's the topic?
What's the topic?

Nothing in particular. STEP papers. Just for fun, though. None of my university offers require STEP. Oxford wants the PAT though, so a bit of that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending