The Student Room Group

W/exp questionnaires - long term placements??

Hiya,
I'm going to be applying to veterinary medicine next year and having a bit of a panic about the work experience questionaires.
A large chunk of my work experience has been long term placements- 2 years at hunt/ dealing yards and a year at a fairy farm but didn't record the hours simply because I didn't have my eyes set on vet med until quite a while into my time there.

When I fill out the questionaires do I need to be able to give the number of weeks, or does it allow me to explain how much time I spent there?

Depends on the university. Some ask for weeks, some ask for hours, some ask for days, some just ask for dates.

Off the top of my head RVC asked for days, Edinburgh asked for hours, Liverpool asked for weeks and Bristol asked for days but that was a year ago so I can't promise that's correct. Can't comment for any other universities either.

In general one week = five working days and one day = eight hours so you can guesstimate from there (be honest though, and make sure your employers/supervisors agree with the figures that you're putting down as they can chase it up).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Depends on the university. Some ask for weeks, some ask for hours, some ask for days, some just ask for dates.

Off the top of my head RVC asked for days, Edinburgh asked for hours, Liverpool asked for weeks and Bristol asked for days but that was a year ago so I can't promise that's correct. Can't comment for any other universities either.

In general one week = five working days and one day = eight hours so you can guesstimate from there (be honest though, and make sure your employers/supervisors agree with the figures that you're putting down as they can chase it up).

I worked out the number of weeks at the horse yard from realistically estimating my hours per week and it was 27weeks give of take a couple of days - I feel like this might make me look a bit of a prat if I put this on the form... Is there somewhere I can explain that it was a long term placement??
Original post by harrison_t
I worked out the number of weeks at the horse yard from realistically estimating my hours per week and it was 27weeks give of take a couple of days - I feel like this might make me look a bit of a prat if I put this on the form... Is there somewhere I can explain that it was a long term placement??

Haha yeah no worries, I had a long term placement that added up to something near there, they ask for the dates that you attended so you can make it clear there. Some universities also ask for comments/brief outlines of duties for each placement so you can write there that it was ongoing for X months/years.

Bear in mind that some places will only allow each placement to count for a certain number of weeks (e.g. at Liverpool it's eight, six or one week I think depending on the category of the placement).
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Haha yeah no worries, I had a long term placement that added up to something near there, they ask for the dates that you attended so you can make it clear there. Some universities also ask for comments/brief outlines of duties for each placement so you can write there that it was ongoing for X months/years.

Bear in mind that some places will only allow each placement to count for a certain number of weeks (e.g. at Liverpool it's eight, six or one week I think depending on the category of the placement).

Oh okay! Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply