The Student Room Group

How to revise for a-levels ??!??!?! Help

I have just entered my first year of AS, and I dont know how to revise. I dont have a specific technique and therefore I cant really remember information. I did not revise for GCSE at all and i got decent grades. I got an A a few B's and a few C's . However this is A LEVEL and if i dont revise i will fail. Its nearly November and i dont know how to revise. Please leave behind tips and tricks to get brilliant grades because i dont want to fail.
Past papers! Taking past papers and then finding areas within a topic you don't understand rather then the whole topic will save you time because there is no point in learning the stuff you know already. Time yourself taking one and if you don't finish in the given time then that is also area to cover but don't worry if you keep taking them it should be really easy once summer hits. (That's if you start now Christmas time)
I have a past paper tracker for each module within the whole subject (got it of Tumblr) that I stick at the front of my binders. This helps me track my progress as I can write how long it took me to take each exam, the grade I got if it were a real exam, how many more marks I would need to get my goal grade (be realistic with this) and topics to go over before attempting another exam, this allows me to see where I am improving but also where work still needs to be done.
All the areas or even topics you didn't do well in, write some key questions or facts on a flash card (Or even a summary of the date or term etc) and get members of your family or even friends to test you. Then a week later retake the test or a different on of the same subject area and compare marks.
When you get home after college or even for an hour at the weekend rewrite your notes ether on a laptop/computer or handwrite than, going over the same information twice will help you retain the information.
I also find colour coding works, I have four different colours for your 4 A levels and use the colours for binders, flash cards, highlighting key words ect. I don't know if it will work for everyone but i find it a lot easier to remember information via colours.
Last but not least sleep and water. If you aren't getting enough sleep or drinking a least 2 litres of water a day you won't be able to retain all the information you are revising so there would really be no point.

I hope this all helps and good luck revising.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
This is probably the best advise i have recieved! THANK YOU :smile:
Original post by FrancescaLou
Past papers! Taking past papers and then finding areas within a topic you don't understand rather then the whole topic will save you time because there is no point in learning the stuff you know already. Time yourself taking one and if you don't finish in the given time then that is also area to cover but don't worry if you keep taking them it should be really easy once summer hits. (That's if you start now Christmas time)
I have a past paper tracker for each module within the whole subject (got it of Tumblr) that I stick at the front of my binders. This helps me track my progress as I can write how long it took me to take each exam, the grade I got if it were a real exam, how many more marks I would need to get my goal grade (be realistic with this) and topics to go over before attempting another exam, this allows me to see where I am improving but also where work still needs to be done.
All the areas or even topics you didn't do well in, write some key questions or facts on a flash card (Or even a summary of the date or term etc) and get members of your family or even friends to test you. Then a week later retake the test or a different on of the same subject area and compare marks.
When you get home after college or even for an hour at the weekend rewrite your notes ether on a laptop/computer or handwrite than, going over the same information twice will help you retain the information.
I also find colour coding works, I have four different colours for your 4 A levels and use the colours for binders, flash cards, highlighting key words ect. I don't know if it will work for everyone but i find it a lot easier to remember information via colours.
Last but not least sleep and water. If you aren't getting enough sleep or drinking a least 2 litres of water a day you won't be able to retain all the information you are revising so there would really be no point.

I hope this all helps and good luck revising.
Reply 3
Original post by hvfzz
I have just entered my first year of AS, and I dont know how to revise. I dont have a specific technique and therefore I cant really remember information. I did not revise for GCSE at all and i got decent grades. I got an A a few B's and a few C's . However this is A LEVEL and if I dont revise i will fail. Its nearly November and i dont know how to revise. Please leave behind tips and tricks to get brilliant grades because I dont want to fail.

I got AABCC and the way I did was that every-time we finished a topic I did revision notes for that topic and then I use those notes like sit down and memories and then i give a few hours gap and then I do a timed essay based on what I learnt this both allows me to understand if I have learned but also helps me to learn my information effectively. This is what I did all year. Make sure u do past questions because its essential that you can apply your knowledge to the exam board and paper ur doing.

Quick Reply