The Student Room Group

Sister- strange behaviour

My sister is 14 and has become overly attached/ clingy to our mother- for example, my mum had a BF who she saw a couple of times/ spoke to on the phone every now and again and my sister reacts by crying/ saying "I'll never forgive you" if they break up and get back together. Her actions are obsessive- checking my mums phone to see if he's texted/ being extremely confrontational if they have texted. It's like the stereotypical rebellious teenager seeing a boyfriend who her family don't approve of, but roles reversed! At the moment she's crying her eyes out because she thinks they are getting back together, even though my mum has made it clear to her that they will NOT be getting back together.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think she's just very worried. You should maybe speak to her and do something together to take her mind off it. It can be quite hard for her to go through that. You need to be there for her and maybe also get your mum to speak to her too. I hope it all goes well for your sister :smile:
Reply 2
wow i hate kids

hope i helped
hmmm maybe the boyfriend is hurting her? or making her feel uncomfortable or doing something she doesn't like and if your mum and him are broken up she wouldn't have to be near him but if they're together she'll be near him more often and that scares her?

ask her why she doesn't like him, if he makes her uncomfortable, if she thinks he's weird or creepy and get her to open up?
Original post by Anonymous
hmmm maybe the boyfriend is hurting her? or making her feel uncomfortable or doing something she doesn't like and if your mum and him are broken up she wouldn't have to be near him but if they're together she'll be near him more often and that scares her?

ask her why she doesn't like him, if he makes her uncomfortable, if she thinks he's weird or creepy and get her to open up?

this is what i was thinking as well

my very first thought was sexual abuse...
Original post by driftawaay

exactly that but i didnt wanna say it

exactly that but i didnt wanna say it

EXACTLY what I was thinking, TALK TO HER!!!!!!!!! NOWWWW!!!!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
EXACTLY what I was thinking, TALK TO HER!!!!!!!!! NOWWWW!!!!!!!

x1000

You seriously need to drag the answer out of her OP, this very serious and an obvious red flag
Original post by Lularose83
My sister is 14 and has become overly attached/ clingy to our mother- for example, my mum had a BF who she saw a couple of times/ spoke to on the phone every now and again and my sister reacts by crying/ saying "I'll never forgive you" if they break up and get back together. Her actions are obsessive- checking my mums phone to see if he's texted/ being extremely confrontational if they have texted. It's like the stereotypical rebellious teenager seeing a boyfriend who her family don't approve of, but roles reversed! At the moment she's crying her eyes out because she thinks they are getting back together, even though my mum has made it clear to her that they will NOT be getting back together.

soooo... have you talked to her? because if you haven't go NOW

just start off the convo with something like
"soooo mum broke up with [insert name here]... i really hope they don't get back together. I think he's weird... what do you think? is he nice to you?"

just to start it off and get her talking. even if she doesn't say anything watch for her body language, if she turns away or looks upset or tenses up or turns red in the face or anything like that you know something's up.

go save your sister!!!
x1000

You seriously need to drag the answer out of her OP, this very serious and an obvious red flag

Just incase OP hasn't seen this! I'm going to quote her!

Original post by Lularose83

Honestly I can't think of any other reason why she wouldn't want him around her, honestly OP talk to her immediately!
Ask her if he has done anything to make her uncomfortable, that should help get the conversation going!
WHERE ARE YOU OP ! You could save your sister a life time of trauma! Please please talk to her now... just tonight be in the room and be quiet. If your Mum is sane tell her but AFTER your conversation tonight (even if you don't spot anything) because she might get defensive and lash out if you all suddenly jump on her

just start it off casually like i said... and then be like "what's wrong? you don't like him? has he upset you?"

PLEASE JUST DO SOMETHING
also if all else fails, make sure that IF and WHEN he's over, always be in the room with her, never leave them alone together

and monitor him VERY VERY CLOSELY

make sure if you see her get uncomfortable when you're all together to just make an excuse for you guys to go upstairs like ask to borrow something or tell her to help you look for something

please don't let this happen to her
WHERE ARE YOU OP ! You could save your sister a life time of trauma! Please please talk to her now... just tonight be in the room and be quiet. If your Mum is sane tell her but AFTER your conversation tonight (even if you don't spot anything) because she might get defensive and lash out if you all suddenly jump on her

just start it off casually like i said... and then be like "what's wrong? you don't like him? has he upset you?"

PLEASE JUST DO SOMETHING

I feel on edge that OP is nowhere to be seen right now:frown:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I feel on edge that OP is nowhere to be seen right now:frown:

same i keep refreshing
i just hope everythings okay for OP's sister
same i keep refreshing
i just hope everythings okay for OP's sister

I know same. Do give us some feedback OP.
I'm thinking on the same wave length as the majority. As soon as I started reading your post I felt uneasy. I've heard too many horror stories for me not to think the worst. Speak to her asap, I really hope we have it all wrong for her sake.
Original post by phunky_fresh
I'm thinking on the same wave length as the majority. As soon as I started reading your post I felt uneasy. I've heard too many horror stories for me not to think the worst. Speak to her asap, I really hope we have it all wrong for her sake.

I agree - maybe these things are hard to miss when you don't have a different point of view or can't see the bigger picture because you're in it yourself

i hope we do get through to OP and they take our advice

and i hope we're wrong too
Reply 18
Sounds like your sister's pissed that she isn't getting any.
Original post by Scott.
Sounds like your sister's pissed that she isn't getting any.

Get a grip. :hand:

Quick Reply

Latest