The Student Room Group

C1 chicken???

Hi all!

I haven't done A Level Maths in years....But today, I head about a new thing going around called 'C1 Chicken'.

Apparently students are challenging each other to see how long a person can hold off starting their C1 maths exam... The really clever students apparently leave as little as 15 minutes before the end of the exam to start...

I can't think of anything worse! I found A Level Maths hard so to me this is beyond mortifying! Clearly young people these days are brave!

Has anyone else heard about this???Or, even better, has anyone tried this? If so, what's your personal best?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haha this is hilarious

I've done one in 13 mins before, but at the start not the end, and i probs got some wrong, so people who leave 15 mins to the end before they start are stupid.

Highly recomend don't do it in the real thing, but in a mock it would be funny.
LOL I heard about this. Apparently it's really popular at the higher private schools.

Friend of mine did 14 minutes apparently. Not sure if he's bsing
Very clever. Get other people to do worse, so that their personal grade will be better thanks to UMS.
This is just a stupid idea.

Even now (after doing a maths degree), it'd probably take me around 15 minutes to get 100% in a C1 paper.

If you do it at AS then you won't enjoy results day, that's for sure :lol:
Original post by Indeterminate

Even now (after doing a maths degree), it'd probably take me around 15 minutes to get 100% in a C1 paper.

Many of these guys can get 95+ UMS in that time :tongue:
If u cant hack C1, u cant hack maths.
Original post by greenjellybean
Hi all!

I haven't done A Level Maths in years....But today, I head about a new thing going around called 'C1 Chicken'.

Apparently students are challenging each other to see how long a person can hold off starting their C1 maths exam... The really clever students apparently leave as little as 15 minutes before the end of the exam to start...

I can't think of anything worse! I found A Level Maths hard so to me this is beyond mortifying! Clearly young people these days are brave!

Has anyone else heard about this???Or, even better, has anyone tried this? If so, what's your personal best?!

Back when I did the C1 exam 5 years ago I completed it in 20minutes and got 100ums. To add to this, I did it in year 10.

#MathsGoalz
Original post by Student403
Many of these guys can get 95+ UMS in that time :tongue:

Most will have to make do with a much lower mark than they'd otherwise be capable of.
Most will have to make do with a much lower mark than they'd otherwise be capable of.

i feel like there are two groups that'd play this tbh.

1) The idiots who end up with 35UMS on results day because they got stuck on a question
2) Geniuses who end up with results not too different from normal. The only thing 15 minutes might deprive them of is time to check through the paper for silly mistakes.
Original post by Student403
i feel like there are two groups that'd play this tbh.

1) The idiots who end up with 35UMS on results day because they got stuck on a question
2) Geniuses who end up with results not too different from normal. The only thing 15 minutes might deprive them of is time to check through the paper for silly mistakes.

Doing C1 in 15 mins isn't hard at all. But then again I was a maths fanatic back in school and sixthform. Type of guy to get 100 ums in most maths exams.
I'm no genius though.
It's those kids from top end private schools (ones with their heads very up their own bums) that do it. :yes:
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Doing C1 in 15 mins isn't hard at all. But then again I was a maths fanatic back in school and sixthform. Type of guy to get 100 ums in most maths exams.
I'm no genius though.

Oh you're too humble :wink2:
Reply 14
If you do A Level Maths in a year, by the end of the year when the C1 Maths exam comes around I would imagine C1 would be a breeze so it's definitely possible. I wouldn't do it but it sounds like a laugh if you're confident enough
Original post by Whizbox
I did C1 this year in 25 minutes. Then I realised I'd made a stupid mistake on the last question and spent 20 minutes working out where I went wrong. Ended up with 97 UMS

Aww unlucky :/
A funny idea but I seriously hope that anybody who is actually stupid enough to do this ends up failing the exam. Arrogance is an incredibly dangerous thing in exams.
Haven't heard of it... I think it's a rather stupid thing to do no matter how good you are at C1. When I did it, I'd race through past papers etc. just to see how quickly I could do it but in the real exam I took my time haha. Doing it really quickly is an easy way to make silly mistakes.
To be honest as long as you've practiced and practiced textbook and past paper questions and got them right (quickly and easily) - I see no problem.

I've only ever done one C1 paper (I'm in Y12) and it took me just over 45mins to complete and I got something like 86UMS. Over time that should come down, but I'm not setting a goal or anything lol it just varies paper to paper. I'm sure some would take me the whole time whereas others could take 30mins.
"Clever" - a term I certainly wouldn't use to describe such fools. Arrogant, full of themselves and stupid is more along the lines of what I'm thinking. If you want to resit another exam module because you didn't take it seriously and add to the pressure of your A2's then please, go right ahead and do this stupid crap. Arrogance and underestimating work is very dangerous and if not today then tomorrow it will show you the results of your arrogance. C1 can be thought of as easier than the rest of the maths modules but that doesn't mean you should do such stupid crap like this? I'm guessing it's ok though because they're privately educated chumps will get the extra support they need from their teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest