The Student Room Group

What do you regret not doing last year?

What do you regret not doing this time in year 12 last year, in the context of UCAS and applying to universities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StayCoolGuys
What do you regret not doing this time in year 12 last year, in the context of UCAS and applying to universities?

Not getting into a science placement for work experience. That would've added a lot to my personal statement. Also, I kind of regret not taking up a sport just for an excuse to say I can work in a team/ lead it. But meh, hopefully my grades, wider reading and study-buddying are enough.
Reply 2
Thinking I had to do a really difficult course that would earn me loads of money instead of doing what makes me happy! could have saved 2 years of my life if i had originally done what i really wanted to
Sorting my qualifications out on the college system, UCAS need the correct info but college will only send the application if it matches their system and no one seems to know how to get the system corrected.
Original post by spencer_param
Thinking I had to do a really difficult course that would earn me loads of money instead of doing what makes me happy! could have saved 2 years of my life if i had originally done what i really wanted to

I feel much the same. I spent so much time convinced that a degree in Archaeology would be beneficial as it more or less leads straight into a career after graduating; I really convinced myself that doing an English Literature degree was economic suicide. I'm just happy that I realised this before it was too late, and have just applied for English now :smile:
Going to a summer school. My preparation for higher education section was pretty blank.
Nearly let my parents pressure me into applying for Maths/Physics but I've always had a gut feeling when it comes to English Lit and Creative Writing. Hope it works out for me :crossedf: Wish I'd spent less time doing work experience and sports that didn't even make it into my personal statement and more time reading classics and pre-modern literature.
Original post by StayCoolGuys

Doing AS Maths because I couldn't think of what my fourth subject should be.
Similar situation to you. In my 1st year of nursing and have no passion or motivation for it whatsoever, it's even more stressful because I'm going to start hospital placement next week and I have an overwhelming urge to cry all the time. Thinking of applying for English next year but I would have to do it through UCAS again since my current university doesn't accept my grades for it, so I don't know if I should apply while still at university or drop out then reapply. But then, I'm scared to drop out and not get any offers.
I regret not taking a 5th A Level
Original post by spencer_param

What did you do? What did you want to do? Sorry, i was just curious.
Woot! Woot!
Reply 13
I regret nothing...
I regret taking an academic route that would make my parents happy and less anxious(in terms of finance support and chances of employment) instead of following what I really wanted for myself.
Now I'm in my first year of uni studying Bio-Computing and cursing myself for not choosing Medicine instead. Existential crisis is real and unbearable for the late-18-year old me. Quite possibly I'll be withdrawing from my course in the following weeks. Moral of my pathetic story?

FOLLOW THE PATH THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, NOT THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU!

If they really love you, they will become happy too in the long run, by seeing you being satisfied with your life.

And if you still aren't sure what will make you happy, don't rush it. That's what I did and look where I ended up.

You have a lot of time in your hands. Spend time alone, learn yourself, find what will make you still able to get up from the bed determined to walk through the day happy, in 30 years from now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not doing enough research into what the unis wanted and different course structures etc rather than just what sounded good to me. Looking back on my original application now, I really had no idea what I was doing back then and it's hardly surprising I got 4 rejections :colondollar: Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes, and that that pays off this year!
I regret not going to more open days. They started just as I was finishing my exams (I had a really late further maths exam). 2 of my options were based on the open day and I'm going in to the other 3 a little bit blind.

As for THIS TIME last year (like November time), I regret not getting a seasonal job, I should've worked harder to get one.
I regret choosing the path which was expected of me by teachers, by my parents, by my former tutors and not applying for UCAS for an undergrad course.
Reply 18
Original post by lightwoXd
Not doing enough research into what the unis wanted and different course structures etc rather than just what sounded good to me. Looking back on my original application now, I really had no idea what I was doing back then and it's hardly surprising I got 4 rejections :colondollar: Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes, and that that pays off this year!

Sorry you don't mind me asking what do you mean by what the unis wanted and looking at different course structures, hoping i dont make a mistake, thanks
Reply 19
Not already revising and not knowing much about the Universities. And not being able to get the relevant work experience~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending