The Student Room Group

What exercise to do to gain muscle mass/weight?

I'm a 16 year old (almost 17) boy who is quite skinny. I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 10st 4. I obviously want to gain weight but find it so hard due to my extremely fast metabolism. If i wanted to put on weight through exercise should i go for an exercise program such as insanity or go for a more weights based route where i do weight training?
Thanks, Jack.

Scroll to see replies

Me three but i know you should do stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength :h:
Focus on compound exercises
Original post by jackyboy17
I'm a 16 year old (almost 17) boy who is quite skinny. I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 10st 4. I obviously want to gain weight but find it so hard due to my extremely fast metabolism. If i wanted to put on weight through exercise should i go for an exercise program such as insanity or go for a more weights based route where i do weight training?
Thanks, Jack.

Don't do insanity unless you want to look like christian bale in the machinist. Go to the gym and do compound lifts with free weights like squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, military presses, pull ups etc. Focus on getting stronger and lifting heavier each week whilst keeping strict form so you don't get injured. Increase your daily intake of calories to at least 3000 and increase your protein intake, aim for at least 2g per kg of bodyweight. Cut down on cardio a lot; don't worry about the fear of getting fat, trust me once you gain size the fat is very easy to burn off, much easier than gaining muscle anyway. I used to be just like you, and I increased my weight from 12 to 16 stone so there is hope!
Thanks, Jack.

Simply force yourself to eat more and once you get fat enough, turn it into muscles!:smile:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Don't do insanity unless you want to look like christian bale in the machinist. Go to the gym and do compound lifts with free weights like squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, military presses, pull ups etc. Focus on getting stronger and lifting heavier each week whilst keeping strict form so you don't get injured. Increase your daily intake of calories to at least 3000 and increase your protein intake, aim for at least 2g per kg of bodyweight. Cut down on cardio a lot; don't worry about the fear of getting fat, trust me once you gain size the fat is very easy to burn off, much easier than gaining muscle anyway. I used to be just like you, and I increased my weight from 12 to 16 stone so there is hope!

Good advice.

If you're consistently working out hittin the squats and other main lifts you'll get stronger (and bigger for the guys). Girls will never bulk quite like a man will regardless of diet and workout routine.
Original post by rileyraven
Good advice.

If you're consistently working out hittin the squats and other main lifts you'll get stronger (and bigger for the guys). Girls will never bulk quite like a man will regardless of diet and workout routine.

you gotta eat a **** load too
Reply 7
Thanks, Jack.

If you want to put on some weight, simply eat more. Up your calories by 400-500, and map your progress-if your weight goes up by 0.5kg a week, keep eating that. If you wanna do a program, I'd recommend Starting Strength. Its 4 weeks long and it will make you go up in weight. But you'll need to hit the gym for that
ICF 5X5, 3000 calories a day, sleep well, don't fap (I know, but this has so many benefits), protein intake of at least 100g a day (no need to go over 150 or anything).

Do that for 6 months, if you're not a hench man by then I'd be shocked.
Thanks, Jack.

Lift some weights I guess. If you dont have any weights, then lift something quite heavy (but don't do lift something that could strain your back). What I do is the plank - helps with the muscle in your arms, in addition to trying to do some pull-ups. Also try to do some push-ups and increase the number you do weekly - e.g. don't start off with doing 50 straight away, start with like 20 and then increase gradually.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Original post by ravioliyears
Lift some weights I guess. If you dont have any weights, then lift something quite heavy (but don't do lift something that could strain your back). What I do is the plank - helps with the muscle in your arms, in addition to trying to do some pull-ups. Also try to do some push-ups and increase the number you do weekly - e.g. don't start off with doing 50 straight away, start with like 20 and then increase gradually.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Planks and push ups will help the OP lose size
Planks and push ups will help the OP lose size

But they would help with the muscle in your arms - well it did for me anyway
Original post by ravioliyears
But they would help with the muscle in your arms - well it did for me anyway

To tone but if you have practically no muscle to begin with, then it's pointless
To tone but if you have practically no muscle to begin with, then it's pointless

Fair enough
Reply 14
eat more lol and have protein shakes between meals
Reply 15
I don't recommend Starting Strength. It's a book you should buy and read, but it's not the Holy Grail of lifting. The nutritional advice sucks. As does Rips advice on how to perform a row/shrug/bicep curl. A novice simply does not need to learn how to power clean either. They really, really don't.

I'd recommend ICF 5x5 linear progression, not the old program. The old program takes like 2 hours to complete, and it's great, but it's more of a bodybuilding program with an apparent emphasis on 'strength'. You'll make great gains on Stronglifts, which doesn't take as long. The volume is higher than SS. I don't think 3x5 is enough. Squat deep, deadlift heavy, press hard, eat lots. You'll gain weight and muscle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivy.98
I'd recommend Starting Strength. Its 4 weeks long

How the hell do people even come up with this stuff???
Reply 17
Original post by SmashConcept
How the hell do people even come up with this stuff???

Whats wrong with that?
Original post by ivy.98
Whats wrong with that?

The fact that it doesn't reflect reality.
Reply 19
Original post by SmashConcept
The fact that it doesn't reflect reality.

Someone who started out doing SS before transitioning to BB split would end up looking better, and be stronger compared to someone who started BBing from the very start

Quick Reply

Latest