The Student Room Group

religious people- If you found out that your religion wasn't...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This isn't going to convince anyone as all religious people say their religion is the correct and best one.

so which religion does u belong to?? but I guarantee u Islam is the best religion..
Original post by Muhammad Shehzar
so which religion does u belong to?? but I guarantee u Islam is the best religion..

I don't belong to any and again, every religious person will "guarantee" that their religion is the best one.
I believe there is only one God anyway. Monotheist religions just depict that God differently. So, if i died and that happened, i would not mind. As long as you live your life as a good, selfless person.
Reply 143
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
Both of these have been discussed in depth in the past, none of which require much thinking in all honesty.

As you're probably aware (or not) that Arabic is if not, (one of) the most difficult and richest languages in the world. In Arabic, we have 28 different letters, each letter can have 1 of 3 different accents. Therefore, one word in Arabic can have many different meanings.

Since you do not speak Arabic, you have relied on direct translations to understand the verse to mean that both ‘sulb’ (backbone) and ‘tara’ib’ (ribs) refer to the male. In other words, the fluid emitted refers to the semen, and it comes out from in between the sulb and the tara’ib. However, the truth of the matter is that the word ‘tarai’b’—according to the Arabic—is actually referring to a female body part. Much like the English word ‘penis’ can only be ascribed to a male, the word ‘tara’ib’ can only be related to th female.

This is not apologetic modernism or revisionism; the classical works of Quranic commentary throughout the last 1400 years confirm this view categorically. In other words, the sulb belongs to the male, and the tara’ib belongs to the female. This is the view of the Muslims since the last fourteen hundred years, and there is consensus (ijma) on this matter, since the time of the Sahabah (the Prophet’s disciples) until today, applied to a female.

As for the proper definition of sulb in the context of this verse, it is ‘loins’ and NOT backbone.
The word “sulb” should not necessarily be translated as “backbone”. This word has many possible meanings and backbone is only one of them. It is also quite commonly used to mean the loins of a man. This is how it is used elsewhere in the Qur’ân. Allah says: “Prohibited to you (for marriage) are…wives of your sons proceeding from your loins (aslâb, the plural of sulb).” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 23]
So why, in the context of human reproduction, does the Quran never mention the testes or the ovum? Why did Allah go all round the houses with a description that, even with all your explanation, still does not give an accurate picture of the process?
I don't belong to any and again, every religious person will "guarantee" that their religion is the best one.

I have many evidences to show that Is islam is the best comparing all other religions..
I have many evidences to show that Is islam is the best comparing all other religions..

They've been debunked and religious people will say the same about their religions.
They've been debunked and religious people will say the same about their religions.

AS i said its for the people to make their life easier and happier & only for those who dont talk rude about it. And if u have read the history of Islam u would just be able to know what it is & it has discussed about the other religion too...
Reply 147
What your problem is (and Islamophobes), is that you're quick to cherry pick verses from the Quran, given that you have no background in Arabic or even in the Sciences of Hadith, you are therefore in no objective position to comment on the Quran.
So anyone who cannot read Classical Arabic and is not trained in Hadith Sciences is in no position to comment on the Quran?

Well that rules out the vast majority of Muslims then!

If you had common sense, you'd know that Arabic is one of the worlds most complex and richest languages,
And yet it cannot be translated into other languages without losing its meaning - even when translated by Arabic speaking Muslim scholars?
Seems like a lack of foresight by Allah there.

and you probably can't even read Arabic let alone interpret it. So don't lecture the native speakers about how their religious book is interpreted.
Every translation was made by an Arabic speaker, most of them native, most probably more experienced in linguistics and Islamic study than you - so why are you so well qualified to reject their translations?

You seem to be labouring under the misaprehension that all English translations of the Quran were carried out by English non-Muslims who could not speak Arabic! :confused:

According to your logic if a baseball player says "Hey pass me a bat" then he is definitely talking about a real-life bat (animal), in which case you've already circled two of your own boxes in the picture above:rolleyes:
Not really.
"Bat" may have two meanings, but it would be impossiblt to assume the flying rodent usage in the context of a baseball player asking for one.

It does not matter which part of the lower back, hips, loins, etc, you claim it is referring to, in the context of human reproduction, it is inaccurate.
Original post by QE2
So anyone who cannot read Classical Arabic and is not trained in Hadith Sciences is in no position to comment on the Quran?

And yet it cannot be translated into other languages without losing its meaning - even when translated by Arabic speaking Muslim scholars?
Seems like a lack of foresight by Allah there.

Every translation was made by an Arabic speaker, most of them native, most probably more experienced in linguistics and Islamic study than you - so why are you so well qualified to reject their translations?

You seem to be labouring under the misaprehension that all English translations of the Quran were carried out by English non-Muslims who could not speak Arabic! :confused:

Not really.
"Bat" may have two meanings, but it would be impossiblt to assume the flying rodent usage in the context of a baseball player asking for one.

It does not matter which part of the lower back, hips, loins, etc, you claim it is referring to, in the context of human reproduction, it is inaccurate.

what can we summarise from ur post. r u a muslim and support islam
Reply 149
As for the proper definition of sulb in the context of this verse, it is ‘loins’ and NOT backbone.
The word “sulb” should not necessarily be translated as “backbone”. This word has many possible meanings and backbone is only one of them. It is also quite commonly used to mean the loins of a man. This is how it is used elsewhere in the Qur’ân. Allah says: “Prohibited to you (for marriage) are…wives of your sons proceeding from your loins (aslâb, the plural of sulb).” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 23]
This is mere circular logic. The fact that another verse describes human reproduction as "coming from the loins", does not mean that it is an accurate description.
Contrary to what you appear to believe, "loins" does not mean "testes". It refers to the lower part of the abdomen, usually below the ribs and above the hips.

The simple way to clear this up is to see whether there is an Arabic word for "testes". If there is one, and Allah did not use it in the context of human reproduction but instead used a word that describes a general area of the lower torso, he clearly did not know that the testes are the most important male organ in the context of human reproduction.

Spoiler

Reply 150
what can we summarise from ur post. r u a muslim and support islam
I tip my fedora to your powers of deduction.:hat2:
Original post by QE2

Correct, it does rule out the majority of Muslims. Mainstream Muslims themselves should not attempt to interpret the Quran themselves provided they are not trained to do so. Quran interpretation requires a thorough understanding of Arabic and the context it is written in. The smallest chapter in the Quran contains 10 words, and in just 10 words you can find 40 rhetorical devices (linguistic features). This is to give you the idea of how complex Arabic can be, and therefore cannot be interpreted by anyone.

Original post by QE2
Not really.

Exactly, which is why I was explaining that the Quranic verses, similarly, cannot be taken out of context. The example I used about a baseball player was a very basic one. Here we talk about a religion that is much richer than English and contains hundreds and hundreds of homonyms depending on certain accents and where the word lies in the sentence.

Original post by QE2

Actually it does, since it refers to the loins then surely that is scientifically correct?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
This is mere circular logic. The fact that another verse describes human reproduction as "coming from the loins", does not mean that it is an accurate description.
Contrary to what you appear to believe, "loins" does not mean "testes". It refers to the lower part of the abdomen, usually below the ribs and above the hips.

The simple way to clear this up is to see whether there is an Arabic word for "testes". If there is one, and Allah did not use it in the context of human reproduction but instead used a word that describes a general area of the lower torso, he clearly did not know that the testes are the most important male organ in the context of human reproduction.

Spoiler

You are aware that the word loins can mean genital area as well, right? Unless these Oxford Dictionary writers really need the sac!
Original post by QE2
I tip my fedora to your powers of deduction.:hat2:

Which religion does u belong to???
Man i got a yellow card for my bingo escapades for "inciting religious hatred" .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending