The Student Room Group

[FP3 Hyperbolics] Simultaneous Equations Help

I have tried pretty much everything I can think, tried making them equal each other with one squared or both squared etc and what always happens is that i have it finally simplified but than the cosh(x)s or cosh(y)s cancel out so I get no answer. Maybe I am not seeing something..
Multiply the second equation by 2 and equate both equations. Turn the equations in terms of natural logs and solve.
Reply 2
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445720398.239750.jpg
I don't know if this helpful but here you go any ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Nirm
I have tried pretty much everything I can think, tried making them equal each other with one squared or both squared etc and what always happens is that i have it finally simplified but than the cosh(x)s or cosh(y)s cancel out so I get no answer. Maybe I am not seeing something..

solve the first equation for coshx
solve the second equation for sinhx

square them

subtract them

Probs easier if you write them in terms of e
Reply 5
X= log(3-root6). Y=log(-(root6-3)(5+2)root6))

X= log(3+root6). Y=log(-(3+root6)(2root6-5))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you for the help everyone!
Reply 7
Original post by Nirm
Thank you for the help everyone!

it was a toughish question without calculator so "I stole it" ...
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
it was a toughish question without calculator so "I stole it" ...

FP3 is such a pain in the ass, only thing I have to learn from is the edexcel book pretty much. Anyone who gets 100 UMS in that module.. hats off to them. Wish I had a had a brain like yours...:colone: , would just whizz through all of FP3 in no time :colondollar:.
Reply 9
Original post by Nirm
FP3 is such a pain in the ass, only thing I have to learn from is the edexcel book pretty much. Anyone who gets 100 UMS in that module.. hats off to them. Wish I had a had a brain like yours...:colone: , would just whizz through all of FP3 in no time :colondollar:.

I can assure you it feels easy now but it did not feel easy when I was a student.

The comments you hear from some people here such as "... I did FP3 in 2 days and got full UMS ..." are cringe-worthy.

Just keep working.

Quick Reply

Latest