The Student Room Group

Radiography

Is radiography a popular course at university?
Original post by tolu_9
Is radiography a popular course at university?

Radiography is quite a popular course at uni, unfortunatley it is popular for the wrong reason, which is that its a free course, rather than students actually wanting to do the degree. but if youre determind to be a radiography you shouldn't have a problem to make it onto the course (they soon whittle out the people that are applying for the wrong reasons). In other terms though, it probably isn't as popular as medicine or business (subjects like that)

Best of luck with your application if you choose radiography and good luck with your UCAS :h:
Reply 2
Original post by katecatfish
Radiography is quite a popular course at uni, unfortunatley it is popular for the wrong reason, which is that its a free course, rather than students actually wanting to do the degree. but if youre determind to be a radiography you shouldn't have a problem to make it onto the course (they soon whittle out the people that are applying for the wrong reasons). In other terms though, it probably isn't as popular as medicine or business (subjects like that)

Best of luck with your application if you choose radiography and good luck with your UCAS :h:

Oh I see, and Thank you :smile:
It's not as popular as other health degrees
It went into clearing this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by katecatfish

I have to agree with the katecatfish in that its popularity partly comes down to it being an NHS funded course. However, it's not as big as, lets say, nursing or midwifery. I put this down to the fact that Radiography is not a well known profession amongst lay-people, there's a common misconception that all Radiographers do is "push buttons", some people have never even heard of the title 'Radiographer' and believe people who take x-rays and such to be mere technicians.

If it is something you're considering going into, please, please do your research. I'm a first year student Radiographer and it's already apparent to me that several people are on the course for the wrong reasons - there are some people who have a tendency to frequently walk out mid-lecture, which speaks volumes. It's a lot of hard work, and there's a lot of information to learn, particularly when it comes to anatomy and physics - but I wouldn't go back on my choice. I'm loving it so far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
It's not as popular as other health degrees
It went into clearing this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i saw that it went into clearing at birmingham city and I think that's the best university for the course as well
Reply 6
Original post by MrJay
I have to agree with the katecatfish in that its popularity partly comes down to it being an NHS funded course. However, it's not as big as, lets say, nursing or midwifery. I put this down to the fact that Radiography is not a well known profession amongst lay-people, there's a common misconception that all Radiographers do is "push buttons", some people have never even heard of the title 'Radiographer' and believe people who take x-rays and such to be mere technicians.

If it is something you're considering going into, please, please do your research. I'm a first year Radiographer and it's already apparent to me that several people are on the course for the wrong reasons - there are some people who have a tendency to frequently walk out mid-lecture, which speaks volumes. It's a lot of hard work, and there's a lot of information to learn, particularly when it comes to anatomy and physics - but I wouldn't go back on my choice. I'm loving it so far.

Which university are you studying the course, I have quite a few but don't know where exactly to go
Reply 7
Original post by tolu_9
Which university are you studying the course, I have quite a few but don't know where exactly to go

I'm at Birmingham City.
Reply 8
Original post by MrJay
I'm at Birmingham City.

How do you find it at birmingham city becuase it is one of my choices?
Reply 9
Original post by tolu_9
How do you find it at birmingham city becuase it is one of my choices?

I'm really enjoying it. I'm in my 5th week now as a first year and its going very well. I really like how the course at BCU is structured, and the lectures and practical sessions are very good too. BCU was my one and only choice when applying and I'm really glad to have got a place.

Good luck with your application. :smile:
Original post by MrJay
I'm really enjoying it. I'm in my 5th week now as a first year and its going very well. I really like how the course at BCU is structured, and the lectures and practical sessions are very good too. BCU was my one and only choice when applying and I'm really glad to have got a place.

Do you do thereupetitc or diagnostic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Bloom77
Do you do thereupetitc or diagnostic?

I'm doing diagnostic
Reply 12
Original post by MrJay

Hope I get a place there too
Original post by MrJay

We're delighted to hear that you're enjoying your course so much. For anyone who would like to find out more about Diagnostic Radiography at BCU, I suggest you come to our next Open Day this Saturday. It's from 9am to 3pm. www.bcu.ac.uk/opendays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending