The Student Room Group

Possible plagiarism?

Hey guys,

In my personal statement, I mentioned a course that I took online. I quoted a line from the course which explained what the course entailed, but I'm a little worried that it may be flagged up by UCAS's similarity detector. Should I remove it?
Reply 1
Original post by tghnys
Hey guys,

In my personal statement, I mentioned a course that I took online. I quoted a line from the course which explained what the course entailed, but I'm a little worried that it may be flagged up by UCAS's similarity detector. Should I remove it?

Remove it, because it's pointless. If the admissions tutor wants to know what this course is then they can find that sentence by themselves. If you want to write about it then tell them something personal - why the course was great, what you personally learnt.
Original post by mohawkguyzz
You could just rephrase what the internet source said?

I know a friend who got asked about plagiarism because he took lines from personal statements on gurume (you can google it, it's a website that has a ton of free personal statement samples) so it is important to at least rewrite it in your own way

UCAS plagiarism software checks for similarly not just exact matches.

Reworded content from an online source is still likely to be flagged.
Reply 3
Original post by mohawkguyzz
You could just rephrase what the internet source said?

I know a friend who got asked about plagiarism because he took lines from personal statements on gurume (you can google it, it's a website that has a ton of free personal statement samples) so it is important to at least rewrite it in your own way

On my physics coursework the software highlighted "is" as plagiarism, nothing else:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending