The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews 2016 Postgraduate Students

Hi all, I have recently been accepted to study MSc Human-Computer Interaction at the University of St Andrews and wondered who else will be starting postgraduate study at St Andrews in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I'm thinking about applying to the same course, may I ask what's your background and grades (you can PM me)? I'm worried it's too competitive/too techy for me!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by HCI
Hi all, I have recently been accepted to study MSc Human-Computer Interaction at the University of St Andrews and wondered who else will be starting postgraduate study at St Andrews in 2016?

Hey, I am considering St Andrews too and hold a conditional offer for MSc Computing and Information Technology. I am more interested in the CS courses rather than the IT ones! My other offer is from Edinburgh's Computer Science department so I find it really hard to choose between the two.

Does anyone know about research options after the course and potential industry links? And is there maybe someone that could tell me about the facilities and the courses in general? :smile:
Hi!
I'm an italian student, I've just earned my BA in Modern Languages for Business and I applied for the MLitt in Management (specifically made for ppl without strong Business-Admin backgrounds).
At first I was so excited to apply for this Uni, but I read some very bad comments here and there and I don't know what to think.
Are you going to attend the Open day? What do you guys think about this school?
It's so hard for me to understand the value of rankings and tables... they are not such a big deal here in Italy. In my country there are like 3 private and expensive Unis, which are definitely prestigious, then some very famous public Unis, which more or less regarded as equal and are very good (in terms of teaching level..... forget about your standards regarding facilities and extra services, we do not have that almost anywhere), and then some less prestigious ones, but very few. So for me it's such a pain to understand the actual value of a course and the extent to which I should rely on rankings.
Reply 4
Original post by thewavyblonde
Hi!
I'm an italian student, I've just earned my BA in Modern Languages for Business and I applied for the MLitt in Management (specifically made for ppl without strong Business-Admin backgrounds).
At first I was so excited to apply for this Uni, but I read some very bad comments here and there and I don't know what to think.
Are you going to attend the Open day? What do you guys think about this school?
It's so hard for me to understand the value of rankings and tables... they are not such a big deal here in Italy. In my country there are like 3 private and expensive Unis, which are definitely prestigious, then some very famous public Unis, which more or less regarded as equal and are very good (in terms of teaching level..... forget about your standards regarding facilities and extra services, we do not have that almost anywhere), and then some less prestigious ones, but very few. So for me it's such a pain to understand the actual value of a course and the extent to which I should rely on rankings.

Hi,
I'm a german Student and I have just received my offer for the MLitt in Management a few days ago and also accepted it. :smile:
Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to visit St. Andrews during the open days but I have spoken to some students about living and studying in St. Andrews.. Well, the MLitt in Management isn't ranked as one of the best courses in the UK and I think that especially Universities like Oxbridge, LSE, LBS, Warwick (...) would be the top places to go for Management studies but I don't really go after Rankings...

Still St. Andrews is one of the top Universitys in the UK and I just like the offered modules and so on. Despite this I really enjoy smaller towns and private atmospheres which I hope to experience in St. Andrews. I also don't think that studying the MLitt in Management at St. Andrews will lead to unemployment of whatever.. :biggrin: It just could be more difficult to get one of the top Jobs in London but I don't even think that someone won't have any Chance and it depends on what you are looking for.
Original post by CF9
Hi,
I'm a german Student and I have just received my offer for the MLitt in Management a few days ago and also accepted it. :smile:
Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to visit St. Andrews during the open days but I have spoken to some students about living and studying in St. Andrews.. Well, the MLitt in Management isn't ranked as one of the best courses in the UK and I think that especially Universities like Oxbridge, LSE, LBS, Warwick (...) would be the top places to go for Management studies but I don't really go after Rankings...

Still St. Andrews is one of the top Universitys in the UK and I just like the offered modules and so on. Despite this I really enjoy smaller towns and private atmospheres which I hope to experience in St. Andrews. I also don't think that studying the MLitt in Management at St. Andrews will lead to unemployment of whatever.. :biggrin: It just could be more difficult to get one of the top Jobs in London but I don't even think that someone won't have any Chance and it depends on what you are looking for.

Hi!!!
So nice to see somebody interested!
Can I ask you what is your educational background and how old you are?
Even if I have strong references and the equivalent of an UK First degree, I had to exclude Oxbridge, LSE, LBS, Warwick etc because of the fees... they are too high for me to afford, even with a partial scholarship. In Italy a fantastic uni costs around 8k per year, a very good uni 2k per year.... because we already pay for education through taxes. Basically, if I study abroad, I lose money I already paid to study in my country :eek:So you understand how CRAZY those fees sound for us :frown:. I know that the prestige is incomparable, but still... it's too much. I am a little scared about the size of St Andrews, because I like big cities... but... I think I could manage it for one year. I don't think it will lead to unemployment either, also because of the overall prestige of the school. What are your future plans?
Reply 6
Original post by CF9
Hi,

Hey there, I'm a German applicant, too! Where are you from? I applied for the MLitt in Museum and Gallery studies but haven't heard back yet. Have you got any conditions on your offer? How long did you wait? I have been several times in St A as I spend a lot of time in Scotland so far. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the town!
Reply 7
Hi!!!
So nice to see somebody interested!
Can I ask you what is your educational background and how old you are?
Even if I have strong references and the equivalent of an UK First degree, I had to exclude Oxbridge, LSE, LBS, Warwick etc because of the fees... they are too high for me to afford, even with a partial scholarship. In Italy a fantastic uni costs around 8k per year, a very good uni 2k per year.... because we already pay for education through taxes. Basically, if I study abroad, I lose money I already paid to study in my country :eek:So you understand how CRAZY those fees sound for us :frown:. I know that the prestige is incomparable, but still... it's too much. I am a little scared about the size of St Andrews, because I like big cities... but... I think I could manage it for one year. I don't think it will lead to unemployment either, also because of the overall prestige of the school. What are your future plans?

Hey!

Nice to hear from somebody who's also willing to study a postgraduate program since this Forum mainly appears to be used by undergrads. :smile:
I studied History and Political Science and graduated with an equivalent of a (strong) Upper Second Class (barely missed the First Class :biggrin:). I also have a few experiences through internships and the longest one I have attended lasted for half a year. I guess in comparison I'm kind of old - 27. :smile:

By now I do not really have "the one future plan" but in General I am interested in corporate Communications and strategic Consulting.

I think that this forum features a private chat? You can message me whenever you want!!
Original post by CF9
Hey!

Nice to hear from somebody who's also willing to study a postgraduate program since this Forum mainly appears to be used by undergrads. :smile:
I studied History and Political Science and graduated with an equivalent of a (strong) Upper Second Class (barely missed the First Class :biggrin:). I also have a few experiences through internships and the longest one I have attended lasted for half a year. I guess in comparison I'm kind of old - 27. :smile:

By now I do not really have "the one future plan" but in General I am interested in corporate Communications and strategic Consulting.

I think that this forum features a private chat? You can message me whenever you want!!

I can't believe it, that is EXACTLY what I am interested in! Corporate communication and strategic consulting!!!!! in fact I've also applied for a place at Amsterdam Uva in corporate communication :-) it is one of the most import unis in Europe for this subject, but I am afraid i will be rejected because I haven't a BA in communication specifically. Yes, I will text you :-)
Reply 9
Original post by CF9
Hi,

Original post by Museum
Hey there, I'm a German applicant, too! Where are you from? I applied for the MLitt in Museum and Gallery studies but haven't heard back yet. Have you got any conditions on your offer? How long did you wait? I have been several times in St A as I spend a lot of time in Scotland so far. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the town!

I am German as well but I am doing my undergraduate at Strathclyde in Glasgow! Nice to see that a few Germans are considering coming to Scotland! For those who do not know St Andrews, it's true that it is a really small town. I am usually into bigger cities as there's more to do but St Andrews definitely has some charm being right on the coast and being an ancient university. I think they have a really active Postgraduate society too so I don't think you'd get too bored. And then again, Edinburgh is only an 1 hour or so away on the train!

On another note, is anyone else coming to the Visiting Day on 9th March? :smile:
Original post by alaska.
I am German as well but I am doing my undergraduate at Strathclyde in Glasgow! Nice to see that a few Germans are considering coming to Scotland! For those who do not know St Andrews, it's true that it is a really small town. I am usually into bigger cities as there's more to do but St Andrews definitely has some charm being right on the coast and being an ancient university. I think they have a really active Postgraduate society too so I don't think you'd get too bored. And then again, Edinburgh is only an 1 hour or so away on the train!

On another note, is anyone else coming to the Visiting Day on 9th March? :smile:

I am! But I am Italian, not German :smile: so you have applied for a place at StA too? What course?
Reply 11
I am! But I am Italian, not German :smile: so you have applied for a place at StA too? What course?

Oh great! :smile: maybe we can grab a cup of coffee somewhere in the break time! I went last year too and they allocate you a slot with the Department which is really useful and show you the Campus and everything.

Yes, I have a conditional offer for MSc Computing and Information Technology. I don't have a particularly strong background in CS as I studied Economics and Management Science. But I did internships in the Tech/ Software Sector and did a Computer Science elective for a year which showed me this is the route I want to go down. The course is aimed at people who have no background but the course coordinator already said that I can attend other courses too based on my background which I found very cooperative and helpful. The school for Computer Science is supposed to be one of the best in the UK so I am really interested to see if they live up to that reputation :biggrin: My other offers are Edinburgh and Glasgow ... I have a really hard time deciding :frown:
Original post by alaska.
Oh great! :smile: maybe we can grab a cup of coffee somewhere in the break time! I went last year too and they allocate you a slot with the Department which is really useful and show you the Campus and everything.

Yes, I have a conditional offer for MSc Computing and Information Technology. I don't have a particularly strong background in CS as I studied Economics and Management Science. But I did internships in the Tech/ Software Sector and did a Computer Science elective for a year which showed me this is the route I want to go down. The course is aimed at people who have no background but the course coordinator already said that I can attend other courses too based on my background which I found very cooperative and helpful. The school for Computer Science is supposed to be one of the best in the UK so I am really interested to see if they live up to that reputation :biggrin: My other offers are Edinburgh and Glasgow ... I have a really hard time deciding :frown:

Of course we can! It will be my first time in Scotland... I am a little in doubt because of the size of StA, I usually prefer big cities... But maybe it's better a small town to focus on your programme.. I don't know really :smile: I applied for the MLitt in Management, designed for profiles with no business admin background, and still waiting for an answer... How long did you wait for yours?
I want to apply for Glasgow and Manchester too, I will do it next week. I would be SOOO in doubt if I got places at those too :s-smilie: it is difficult to decide.
What you said about attending other courses is so interesting as I graduated in Modern Languages, English and Spanish as majors, so it would be so nice for me to keep on investigating some aspects of languages even when pursuing a different academic career.. How does this work??
Reply 13
Of course we can! It will be my first time in Scotland... I am a little in doubt because of the size of StA, I usually prefer big cities... But maybe it's better a small town to focus on your programme.. I don't know really :smile: I applied for the MLitt in Management, designed for profiles with no business admin background, and still waiting for an answer... How long did you wait for yours?
I want to apply for Glasgow and Manchester too, I will do it next week. I would be SOOO in doubt if I got places at those too :s-smilie: it is difficult to decide.
What you said about attending other courses is so interesting as I graduated in Modern Languages, English and Spanish as majors, so it would be so nice for me to keep on investigating some aspects of languages even when pursuing a different academic career.. How does this work??

Yeaah, I think that is very true. Your program can be incredibly busy, so I think that I wouldn't need big shopping malls or something anyway if I need to really concentrate on my course.

Mhh I applied back in the beginning of January, but it took a while for my references to be submitted. I got my formal offer only a couple of days ago which is quicker than I thought. For Edinburgh I had to wait almost 8 weeks... so yeah it can take its time.

Glasgow is a really nice place, I have lived here for the past 4 years. Glasgow's very vibrant and full of stuff to do: concerts, museums, clubs, bars and so forth. I've never been to Manchester but I don't think it has the same slightly old vibe to it that Glasgow City Centre and the West End of Glasgow have.

No idea how you would combine it, but I'd think that some firms might be very interested if there are people who know different languages and have a business background. At Strathclyde, we even have an undergraduate course that is called International Business and Modern Languages - so there might be specific demand for people like you. Always good to be multilingual.

I really want to find employment or do further research in a more technical area, so I hope the course I mentioned will prepare me for that and equip me for roles in Software Engineering and so forth. But as I have said, the Visiting Day is a great opportunity to find out more once you have applied/ got an offer. It's a shame that Edinburgh and Glasgow do not having something similar...
Reply 14
Original post by alaska.

Hey there :smile:

Nice to hear from another prospective postgraduate student! I am not really sure if I'll make it to the visiting days but I try.. Otherwise I planned to visit StA and a few other places like Edinburgh on my own :biggrin:

Also it's good to know that there seems to be an active postgraduate society/life! But I'm not afraid to get too bored anyways.. As you already mentioned above.. The program could be very demanding and there still are other cities around :smile:
Original post by alaska.
Yeaah, I think that is very true. Your program can be incredibly busy, so I think that I wouldn't need big shopping malls or something anyway if I need to really concentrate on my course.

Mhh I applied back in the beginning of January, but it took a while for my references to be submitted. I got my formal offer only a couple of days ago which is quicker than I thought. For Edinburgh I had to wait almost 8 weeks... so yeah it can take its time.

Glasgow is a really nice place, I have lived here for the past 4 years. Glasgow's very vibrant and full of stuff to do: concerts, museums, clubs, bars and so forth. I've never been to Manchester but I don't think it has the same slightly old vibe to it that Glasgow City Centre and the West End of Glasgow have.

No idea how you would combine it, but I'd think that some firms might be very interested if there are people who know different languages and have a business background. At Strathclyde, we even have an undergraduate course that is called International Business and Modern Languages - so there might be specific demand for people like you. Always good to be multilingual.

I really want to find employment or do further research in a more technical area, so I hope the course I mentioned will prepare me for that and equip me for roles in Software Engineering and so forth. But as I have said, the Visiting Day is a great opportunity to find out more once you have applied/ got an offer. It's a shame that Edinburgh and Glasgow do not having something similar...

That was exactly my BA name... Modern Languages for Business. I had some minors in social sciences like organizational behavior, commercial law and economy of the territory.

I really hope to get a place at St A because I want to focus more on management, leadership and corporate communication in my future.

We should def meet during the open day!!
Reply 16
I am going to st. Andrews for a taught master degree in this coming academic year too :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by bigfrog
I am going to st. Andrews for a taught master degree in this coming academic year too :smile:

Congratulations! What are you going to be studying?
Reply 18
I received my offer today! :biggrin: I am so excited!!
Original post by Museum
I received my offer today! :biggrin: I am so excited!!

Congratulations! What will you be studying?

Quick Reply