The Student Room Group

Article: The dating rulebook- 12 secrets of the perfect date

Ever fantasized about having the perfect first date?

Dating can be a terrifying prospect and sometimes an amazing date can feel like a fantasy. Our relationship experts have shared with us the secrets of successful dating…

Here’s how to make disaster dates a thing of the past!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20717-The-dating-rulebook-12-secrets-of-the-perfect-date

Share your tips and worst dating experiences in the thread below!

Scroll to see replies

Also put your phone away - don't be checking Whatsapp while your date is trying to talk to you :mad2:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Also put your phone away - don't be checking Whatsapp while your date is trying to talk to you :mad2:

This should apply to all social situations, I hate going out to eat with a friend and they spend the whole time absorbed in their phone!
For me personally it would have to be in a relaxed environment or doing an activity I already like doing.

So going for a walk, pub or some other activity we both enjoy that we have in common.

Stuff like restaurants are a no go for me. I feel stressed in those situation anyway, date or no date. :erm:

Of course, I've never actually been on a date :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
i sincerely doubt i can get a boyfriend, even with this fab advice lol.:h:

Oh well:

Guinea Pigs > boyfriends anyway :colondollar:
For our first date, my boyfriend and I went to the Natural History Museum (because I love dinosaurs) and then to Hyde Park (because he loves horticulture). I think that was perfect because it incorporated something we both wanted to do, and we both went to (and enjoyed) places we don't normally go to
Very well put together :smile:

Idea for next article: finding someone to date you. :colondollar:
buy a gift especially if the date is dinner my first date with this girl i bought a white gold pendant necklace and when i met her parents i bought her a gold tissot and her parents a case of scotch (i asked her what they liked to drink and well)
The pic the girl is too tall!!
Active listening is more than summarising and paraphrasing (and of course those things have to be natural too), but it's about the ways that you show that you are listening when someone is talking (e.g. saying 'yeah', 'ok', 'oh' etc. and non-verbals, like nodding, smiling etc.). It also includes asking questions to clarify/verify information and to extend the narrative in some way. I think asking questions is particularly important in dating!
Original post by georgiaswift
For our first date, my boyfriend and I went to the Natural History Museum (because I love dinosaurs) and then to Hyde Park (because he loves horticulture). I think that was perfect because it incorporated something we both wanted to do, and we both went to (and enjoyed) places we don't normally go to

Stuff like this, imo, gives you something to talk about. Whereas I've found that going for a meal really doesn't. I find meals are too formal. I also find that doing other stuff is far more relaxing.
Original post by CoolCavy
i sincerely doubt i can get a boyfriend, even with this fab advice lol.:h:

Oh well:

Guinea Pigs > boyfriends anyway :colondollar:

That is so true

Although I don't think boyfriends normally wee on you...
Original post by OU Student
Stuff like this, imo, gives you something to talk about. Whereas I've found that going for a meal really doesn't. I find meals are too formal. I also find that doing other stuff is far more relaxing.

Yeah you're definitely right, it provides you with constant mental stimulation and because you're always seeing new something new, you never run out of things to talk about. Although he had to put up with a never ending stream of dinosaur facts. The fact that he not only listened but asked questions really meant a lot to me. And it's relaxing when you both do something you want to do - we didn't go out for dinner together until we'd got to know each other better, which meant we could easily talk to each other by that point
Number 8 is so true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well .. I clearly trip up on number 2 in my dating and everyday life :rofl:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Well .. I clearly trip up on number 2 in my dating and everyday life :rofl:

African time:tongue:
Aims to get somewhere for 4:30 dosent arrive two hours later
Original post by toonervoustotalk
African time:tongue:
Aims to get somewhere for 4:30 dosent arrive two hours later

it's actually so embarrassing :rofl:

I'm starting to get my act together though because my sixth form starts fining you if you're late more than 3 times in a half term :rofl:
Reply 17
Original post by thecatwithnohat
it's actually so embarrassing :rofl:

I'm starting to get my act together though because my sixth form starts fining you if you're late more than 3 times in a half term :rofl:

whattttttt
I did all this- I mean it was a mac Donalds date, but still, and he got bored and just stopped texting a couple if days later. What could I have done wrong? Should we have gone to the cinema or something? Was I too noisy? Should I have flirted more? Idek!! 😠
First rule of dating - there are no rules

Quick Reply