The Student Room Group

University has made me anxious and depressed

Hi,

I wasn't sure this was the right place to post this but hopefully someone can help!

I started university in September so I've only been there about a month and a half but it's made me feel so low. I don't know what triggers it as I love my course and I've been really lucky with the flat mates I've been put with, we all get on really well.

I only live half an hour away from the uni so I go home every weekend as I find it's the only thing that keeps me going because I hate spending weekends in halls, plus most of my flat mates go home or go out with family so I'd be on my own.

It doesn't help that my flat mates are in lectures on the days I'm not so on a Monday and Thursday I'm in the flat all by myself and even though I get work done, I feel so alone. I don't feel like I have a purpose to get up as all I do is wake up, spend the whole day doing uni work then it won't be until dinner time that I will go into the kitchen with everyone because that's when they all get back.

I'm home at the moment for reading week but I have to go back on Sunday evening and I'm dreading it, I just hate it so much.

I know loads of you will say 'Don't go home every weekend' but that's the only thing that gets me through the week, I just feel so trapped at uni. I've been to the doctors to see if they can give me any advice but they didn't help so I just feel like it's never going to end, I feel like I'm going to feel this low forever, I've only been there a month and a half and I just want the year to be over so I can come out of halls!

Anyone else felt like this or can offer advice?
Reply 1
Hi, So sorry to hear that you're feeling like this! I'm not at uni so I can't give you the best advice about that but i certainly do know how it feel sot be low 24/7. I think you need a distraction! get more involved, invite friends over or perhaps go out on the days you're alone, maybe go do work in a coffee shop or student union, that might lift your spirit. Honestly I can promise you sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself will only make you feel worse! maybe you should stay home one weekend and go out to meet new people to hang out with. Honestly i can almost promise you won't feel like this the whole time, and chances are you're just a but anxious about being away from home.
Could that be just because you are home sick?
Also, you NEED to join some societies and do sports. Life as in uni/halls/uni/halls/home will drive you even more crazy. Why do you stay in halls all day if you feel trapped? Go out,
Have some fun...or do work in the library. One of the things you should remember is that 1st year doesn't count so don't spend all of your time studying...
I always feel low at uni but that's because my course is really stressful and I don't really have much friends. My home is also in another country so I hardly ever go there.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I wasn't sure this was the right place to post this but hopefully someone can help!

I started university in September so I've only been there about a month and a half but it's made me feel so low. I don't know what triggers it as I love my course and I've been really lucky with the flat mates I've been put with, we all get on really well.

I only live half an hour away from the uni so I go home every weekend as I find it's the only thing that keeps me going because I hate spending weekends in halls, plus most of my flat mates go home or go out with family so I'd be on my own.

It doesn't help that my flat mates are in lectures on the days I'm not so on a Monday and Thursday I'm in the flat all by myself and even though I get work done, I feel so alone. I don't feel like I have a purpose to get up as all I do is wake up, spend the whole day doing uni work then it won't be until dinner time that I will go into the kitchen with everyone because that's when they all get back.

I'm home at the moment for reading week but I have to go back on Sunday evening and I'm dreading it, I just hate it so much.

I know loads of you will say 'Don't go home every weekend' but that's the only thing that gets me through the week, I just feel so trapped at uni. I've been to the doctors to see if they can give me any advice but they didn't help so I just feel like it's never going to end, I feel like I'm going to feel this low forever, I've only been there a month and a half and I just want the year to be over so I can come out of halls!

Anyone else felt like this or can offer advice?

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so low!

Uni is a gigantic life changer and many people don't realize it. You are living away from home, meeting so many new people and experiencing pressures in life you never thought of before. In school you were surrounded by your friends every day and teachers as well so you may have never even had a minute to feel 'alone.' Going to uni means there are a ton of changes and you will have a lot more independent time which you never experienced before. I moved away from America when i was 17 to go to University of Edinburgh and it was a huge life changing experience - new country, new culture, new course, halls life etc. I experienced Seasonal Depression for several months off and on but what kept me going was the fact i loved my friends, i loved my course, i went to the gym, i got myself a happy light (for seasonal depression) and got involved in some different societies. Honestly exercise, good diet, and a strong friendship group are great ways for maintaining mental health! If you have your family so close by don't use them to avoid the feelings you have at university, using family as a safety net doesn't allow you to truly understand why you feel this way. I would suggest going to the university a few days a well or going for runs outside or joining an active society like rock climbing or something which is more your style (anything to get the blood pumping a bit and give you some great motivation and something to look forward to where you can meet new people), make sure you're eating a healthy diet (a lot of people go to uni and descend into a cycle of eating pizza and chips which has zip nutritional value and is definitely not good for mental health - try eating some avocados, lots of veggies, legumes, whole grains all things which are good for mental and physical wellbeing), try meditation and yoga (these will make you appreciate yourself and your connectivity with your environment and those around you, you will be able to find solace in yourself and be able to approach stress and anxiety better overall - I recommend the book Mindfulness: A Practical Guide for Finding Peace in a Frantic World), branch out with different societies or even charities where you can find like minded people for when your flatmates are in their lectures or any evenings.

It's really important to have things in your life you look forward to, friends you enjoy being with, food you enjoy eating and enjoying family time.

It may also be good to speak to someone at the University - doctors should recommend a counselor to speak to if you are feeling lowly. If you still feel this way in a few weeks after doing the above ask to speak to someone and a therapist may be able to pinpoint triggers for anxiety and stress.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Quick Reply

Latest