The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Could one replace the level 1 modules with level 2 in an open degree?

Hi,

Looking at doing a BA/BSc (Honours) Open degree. Wondering if it's possible to do level 2 modules instead of level 1 modules from the very start as long as I have the required amount of points at the end of the year or degree? The level 1 modules are a bit too basic in the subjects I want to study. I have no "credit transfer" option per say.

Thanks for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LF-Uni
Hi,

Looking at doing a BA/BSc (Honours) Open degree. Wondering if it's possible to do level 2 modules instead of level 1 modules from the very start as long as I have the required amount of points at the end of the year or degree? The level 1 modules are a bit too basic in the subjects I want to study. I have no "credit transfer" option per say.

Thanks for any help.

No. Everybody needs 120 from level 1, 120 from level 2 and 120 from level 3 to complete the degree.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by SuperCat007
No. Everybody needs 120 from level 1, 120 from level 2 and 120 from level 3 to complete the degree.

Ah, that's a bit disappointing... that you can't mix in a level 2 module into the first year of the open degree.

Thank you for the help.
Original post by LF-Uni
Ah, that's a bit disappointing... that you can't mix in a level 2 module into the first year of the open degree.

Thank you for the help.

You can study in any order you want with the OU; assuming there aren't prerequisites that you've studied x level 1 module before embarking on y level 2 module. But you can't substitute level 1 in place of level 2 and still gain a degree, as with all universities you have to pass each level satisfactorily to attain a degree.
Reply 4
You can study in any order you want with the OU; assuming there aren't prerequisites that you've studied x level 1 module before embarking on y level 2 module. But you can't substitute level 1 in place of level 2 and still gain a degree, as with all universities you have to pass each level satisfactorily to attain a degree.

Thank you again SuperCat. I guess it's just better to adhere to doing level 1's in stage 1, and so on.
Reply 5
Original post by LF-Uni
Hi,

Thanks for any help.

I believe that you can do this, as the OU state for this qualification that they 'recommend you start at Level 1'.

Also, you don't have to start off at Level 1 anyway, you can start at Level 2.
https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/study/undergraduate/qualification/bd.htm#courses
Reply 6
Original post by sootydog1
I believe that you can do this, as the OU state for this qualification that they 'recommend you start at Level 1'.

Also, you don't have to start off at Level 1 anyway, you can start at Level 2.
https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/study/undergraduate/qualification/bd.htm#courses

Hi and thanks sooty. I've since checked and what you wrote is correct.

The only limit is that you have to have 120 credits of level 1's, level 2's, and level 3's if you want to get a degree, as SuperCat mentioned above.
Reply 7
Original post by LF-Uni
Hi and thanks sooty. I've since checked and what you wrote is correct.

The only limit is that you have to have 120 credits of level 1's, level 2's, and level 3's if you want to get a degree, as SuperCat mentioned above.

Hello again
I advise check with your Regional Centre if you have to take 120 points at each level, as I am not in my open degree. But I registered for mine some time ago, so it depends on the requirements of the Open Degree at the time you registered for it.
Hello again
I advise check with your Regional Centre if you have to take 120 points at each level, as I am not in my open degree. But I registered for mine some time ago, so it depends on the requirements of the Open Degree at the time you registered for it.

You always need 120 points at each level to complete an honours degree, no matter the name of the degree. Otherwise you won't qualify for the qualification.
Reply 9
Hello again

OK, thanks! I will check.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
You always need 120 points at each level to complete an honours degree, no matter the name of the degree. Otherwise you won't qualify for the qualification.

To clarify what you're saying a bit SuperCat...

To graduate with a BA/BSc (Honours) Open degree at The Open University you need the following:

Complete 120 credits at each stage (equivalent to a year of full time studies) with a total of 360 points and the end of your education.

Complete 120 credits in every module level, meaning you need 120 credits in level 1 modules, 120 credits in level 2 modules, and 120 credits in level 3 modules.

You can not have (as an example) 60 credits in level 1 modules, 180 credits in level 2 modules, and 120 credits in level 3 modules, or any other combination that adds up to 360 credits except what is mentioned in point 2.

I this correct?

Thank you for helping.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LF-Uni
To clarify what you're saying a bit SuperCat...

To graduate with a BA/BSc (Honours) Open degree at The Open University you need the following:

Complete 120 credits at each stage (equivalent to a year of full time studies) with a total of 360 points and the end of your education.

Complete 120 credits in every module level, meaning you need 120 credits in level 1 modules, 120 credits in level 2 modules, and 120 credits in level 3 modules.

You can not have (as an example) 60 credits in level 1 modules, 180 credits in level 2 modules, and 120 credits in level 3 modules, or any other combination that adds up to 360 credits except what is mentioned in point 2.

I this correct?

Thank you for helping.

Yes, as with any other degree from any other university. You must have 120 credits at each level/stage in order to be awarded with the honours degree at the end, or any qualification at the end. Even a Dip HE requires 240 credits; 120 at level 1 and 120 at level 2. You'll get more info if you ask the OU direct, or check degree websites. But every other degree in the country is made up like that so I don't see why the Open one should be different. The website does very clearly state the requirements from the degree: 120 at level 1; and then level 2 and 3 comprising 240 credits: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd just scroll down the page.

Level 1 might be a bit simplistic, but it will teach you about learning with the OU before the course materials get harder at level 2 and 3. Maybe you could try to do 120 level 1 in 1 year so it cuts down study time if you think it's going to be too hard.

GQR 3 Studying for a qualification
GQR 3.1 Qualification stages
GQR 3.1.1 If your qualification has a credit value of 120 credits or more the modules
which comprise that qualification will be assigned to a Stage of the
qualification.
GQR 3.1.2 A qualification may have an optional Stage 0 and up to 4 qualification
Stages each to be studied in the prescribed sequence.
GQR 3.1.3 An optional Stage 0 will comprise up to 30 credits from Access or Openings
modules. Credit awarded in Stage 0 does not count towards the credit
requirements of qualifications.
GQR 3.1.4 Each Stage at Stage 1 and above will comprise 120 credits to be awarded
for modules included in that Stage and will be completed when you have
met all the credit requirements for that Stage and any other requirements in
the specific qualification regulations.
GQR 3.2 Commencement of studies
You must commence your studies towards your registered qualification by enrolling on one
or more of the modules included in Stage 1 of that qualification unless:
i) you begin your studies with the optional Stage 0; or
ii) you are counting OU credit awarded prior to registration for the
qualification that meets the requirements for Stage 1; or
iii) you are counting an award of credit transfer that meets the requirements
for Stage 1; or
iv) you are counting a combination of OU credit awarded prior to
registration for the qualification and an award of credit transfer that
meets the requirements for Stage 1; or
v) the specific qualification regulations permit studies to start at Stage 2 or
Stage 3; or
vi) your registered qualification has a credit value of fewer than 120 credits
and does not have Stages.
If you begin your studies with the optional Stage 0, your subsequent study for your registered
qualification must be one or more of the specified modules for Stage 1 of that qualification
unless you have met one of the conditions ii) to vi) above.
Approved February 2014, Amended August 2014 and August 2015 Page 4 of 11
GQR 3.3 Order of study
GQR 3.3.1 If the published qualification information or enrolment process specifies an
order of study for individual modules within Stages, you will only be
permitted to enrol for module(s) in accordance with those rules. In all other
cases you are strongly advised to study modules in the order
recommended in the guidance for each Stage of the qualification.
GQR 3.3.2 Stages of qualifications must be studied in order and you must meet the
rules for progression between Stages in paragraph GQR 3.4. If your
qualification specifically permits an order of study which does not require
you to study Stages in sequence, this will be in the specific qualification
regulations.

Copied from the module regulations link on the Open Degree website page.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
The website does very clearly state the requirements from the degree: 120 at level 1; and then level 2 and 3 comprising 240 credits: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd just scroll down the page.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was OK to take level 2 modules at stage 1 and this is where I got the idea to just do level 2 modules the first 2 years (240 credits). I've re-read the link for the open degree and you're right there is no chance to deviate.

To summarise it... it was wishful thinking. :oops:

Level 1 might be a bit simplistic, but it will teach you about learning with the OU before the course materials get harder at level 2 and 3. Maybe you could try to do 120 level 1 in 1 year so it cuts down study time if you think it's going to be too hard.

Doing 120 credits is definitely an idea to consider. Thank you for the help again. I'm afraid the only thing I can offer in return is a virtual beer since I'm not in the U.K. :beerglass:
Original post by LF-Uni
I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was OK to take level 2 modules at stage 1 and this is where I got the idea to just do level 2 modules the first 2 years (240 credits). I've re-read the link for the open degree and you're right there is no chance to deviate.

To summarise it... it was wishful thinking. :oops:

Doing 120 credits is definitely an idea to consider. Thank you for the help again. I'm afraid the only thing I can offer in return is a virtual beer since I'm not in the U.K. :beerglass:

I had exactly the same thing when I started the OU. I'd already done A-levels and what I was studying was way below what I already had. But it was a shock to the system to study the 'OU-way' and I was actually thankful to have the chance to learn how to study that way using material I was already familiar with.

I will check this out, but the wording in the qualification description is only 'recommend'.

I have only 90 points level 1 and 100 at level 2 and was intending to take 150 at level 3. So, I will check this out if you do have to take 120 points at each level.

If so, It is a shame as I had my eye on an interesting extra level 3 x 30 point course I would have liked to have taken. I took the wrong level 3 course first, and regretted taking it, it was not my cup of tea at all.

I will research thoroughly and will have to amend my list of courses I wanted to take!
I also went and added in a 10 point course by accident and the Regional centre won't allow me to remove it, so that has messed up things a bit.
Reply 15
I will check this out, but the wording in the qualification description is only 'recommend'.

I have only 90 points level 1 and 100 at level 2 and was intending to take 150 at level 3. So, I will check this out if you do have to take 120 points at each level.

If so, It is a shame as I had my eye on an interesting extra level 3 x 30 point course I would have liked to have taken. I took the wrong level 3 course first, and regretted taking it, it was not my cup of tea at all.

I will research thoroughly and will have to amend my list of courses I wanted to take!
I also went and added in a 10 point course by accident and the Regional centre won't allow me to remove it, so that has messed up things a bit.

I hope it works out sooty! If you have the time let us know how it went. I would assume that the 10 credit course could be replaced somehow if you did a stand alone module (although it would be an additional cost and time) and count it towards the Open Degree since it would be like a credit transfer?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I had exactly the same thing when I started the OU. I'd already done A-levels and what I was studying was way below what I already had. But it was a shock to the system to study the 'OU-way' and I was actually thankful to have the chance to learn how to study that way using material I was already familiar with.

I guess you're right that it's better to get into things and the OU-way. Out of curiosity did you study an open degree or a set a degree?
Original post by LF-Uni
I guess you're right that it's better to get into things and the OU-way. Out of curiosity did you study an open degree or a set a degree?

Started on Nat Sci, but the version I started on is now discontinued and I'm not going to finish it on time. Now I'm doing the Open degree, but doing all biology modules.
Original post by LF-Uni
I hope it works out sooty! If you have the time let us know how it went. I would assume that the 10 credit course could be replaced somehow if you did a stand alone module (although it would be an additional cost and time) and count it towards the Open Degree since it would be like a credit transfer?

Thanks.
I have checked several times re 120 points at each level and this appears to be correct for students registering for this degree 2012 or after.

Sorry for any confusion, I was not aware things had changed as when I started this degree it was only a minimum of 60 points at level 1, and then I think the same at level 2, and the rest could be all level 3 if you wished!

I am now checking with my regional centre, as if the new arrangements apply to me I have to alter the degree profile and might have to take an extra course.

Let us know how you are getting on. My next course is U316 starts in Feb.
Reply 19
Started on Nat Sci, but the version I started on is now discontinued and I'm not going to finish it on time. Now I'm doing the Open degree, but doing all biology modules.

If you love Biology the future is very bright. Bioinformatics is exploding at the moment.

Thanks.
I have checked several times re 120 points at each level and this appears to be correct for students registering for this degree 2012 or after.

Sorry for any confusion, I was not aware things had changed as when I started this degree it was only a minimum of 60 points at level 1, and then I think the same at level 2, and the rest could be all level 3 if you wished!

I am now checking with my regional centre, as if the new arrangements apply to me I have to alter the degree profile and might have to take an extra course.

Let us know how you are getting on. My next course is U316 starts in Feb.

I hope the same rules apply that were active when you first started studying.

U316 seems very interesting. I worked in the chemical industry and all I can say is that there sure is room for improvement. :smile:

I'm going to apply to the course BSc Mathematics in Feb. It's the closest to what I wanted out of an open degree.

Latest