The Student Room Group

Anyone study English Literature, Maths, Biology and Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kittywitty
Didn't you have times when it was too much?
What are your grades so far? Are you naturally good at maths?

Everyone gets that at some point :redface:

And erm - I'm predicted AAB at A2 :h:
Am I naturally good at Maths? :iiam:
Reply 21
Original post by Neuth

Hahaha xD
That's great!
Can you tell exactly what you do in English Literature AS? Is it like at the end of every term you finish a book then write an essay?
Reply 22
Hahaha xD
That's great!
Can you tell exactly what you do in English Literature AS? Is it like at the end of every term you finish a book then write an essay?

Not at all :redface:

We were the last year to do coursework (woop) - at the start of the term, up until around the end of November, we'd study the texts and do our coursework (at As, that was 2 texts, in A2 it was 3, plus other stuff).

Then for the rest of the year, we did all the exam texts/anthologies :h:
In As, this was 2 texts and an anthology of around 20 poems.
At A2, this is 3 texts and another anthology.

It's completely different from GCSE in that sense :redface:
Reply 23
Original post by Neuth
Not at all :redface:

We were the last year to do coursework (woop) - at the start of the term, up until around the end of November, we'd study the texts and do our coursework (at As, that was 2 texts, in A2 it was 3, plus other stuff).

Then for the rest of the year, we did all the exam texts/anthologies :h:
In As, this was 2 texts and an anthology of around 20 poems.
At A2, this is 3 texts and another anthology.

It's completely different from GCSE in that sense :redface:

That doesn't sound bad haha.
Last year to do coursework? So what would I be doing? O.O
Reply 24
That doesn't sound bad haha.
Last year to do coursework? So what would I be doing? O.O

Purely exam based :yep:
I'm studying English Literature, and it's extremely time consuming. During this week's "term break" I've had to force myself to read 46 chapters of a novel in two days, and will soon be starting another novel with 24 chapters (which is in small print, with long chapters). Whether I'm eating, in bed, or using the loo, a book's in my hand. I've also been assigned to recap any poetry notes from the given anthology, which is another addition to the pain. I've got three other A-levels with allocated work to be completed this week, which isn't helping, since I haven't even begun with them. *cries*

Study Literature if and only if you know you'll enjoy it and are willing to dedicate most of your hours towards it.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by tacitae
I'm studying English Literature, and it's extremely time consuming. During this week's "term break" I've had to force myself to read 46 chapters of a novel in two days, and will soon be starting another novel with 24 chapters (which is in small print, with long chapters). Whether I'm eating, in bed, or using the loo, a book's in my hand. I've also been assigned to recap any poetry notes from the given anthology, which is another addition to the pain. I've got three other A-levels with allocated work to be completed this week, which isn't helping, since I haven't even begun with them. *cries*

Study Literature if and only if you know you'll enjoy it and are willing to dedicate most of your hours towards it.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

O.O
Now THAT's an answer I was looking for.
That's it I'm not studying English Literature.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 27
I'm studying English Literature, and it's extremely time consuming. During this week's "term break" I've had to force myself to read 46 chapters of a novel in two days, and will soon be starting another novel with 24 chapters (which is in small print, with long chapters). Whether I'm eating, in bed, or using the loo, a book's in my hand.

O.O
Now THAT's an answer I was looking for.
That's it I'm not studying English Literature.
Thank you :smile:

Please, OP, don't base your A-Levels on the above post :nah:

At A2, my half term work consists of writing 500 words towards my coursework piece.
Never will you be told to read 70 chapters in that time frame - that's ridiculous and I'd imagine the only time when that would happen would be if you'd missed the first 8 weeks and done no work at all during that time off... :redface:
Original post by Neuth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I concur.This lovely woman helps me with my maths hw :colondollar:.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.I enjoy the insights we learn in English Literature but I wish I did further maths instead.
Original post by Neuth

At A2, my half term work consists of writing 500 words towards my coursework piece.
Never will you be told to read 70 chapters in that time frame - that's ridiculous and I'd imagine the only time when that would happen would be if you'd missed the first 8 weeks and done no work at all during that time off... :redface:

I didn't miss anything in the 8 weeks, and have done a considerable amount of essays on poetry comparisons on weekends. I didn't expect to be told to complete two novels in a week either, though you are right when you say OP shouldn't base her decision on my experience with Literature. Also, for my AS year it's completely exam based, due to (I presume) the spec changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I did that combo!
I got AAAB (the B in Lit because I didn't revise as much as I should've :colondollar:)
But yeah, I'm applying for Biochem and literally no university cares about my Lit grade, not even Cambridge lol
Reply 32
Original post by Neuth

Hmm...
I'm planning to join Badminton, Robotics Club, MedicLink, and do work experience. Would I be able to do all of that and do well in the subjects?
Also if I'm disliking the subject when is the deadline I can change subject?
Reply 33
Actually, is it okay if I just studied Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Spanish? Removes the burden of maths haha.
Reply 34
Were you really good at Maths?

I did alright, not too bad
Original post by rainbowtwist
I have friends that do English lit + lang and it depends on how good at it you are bc I have a friend that can read really fast so she finishes all her work quickly but then there are people that take weeks to read a chapter and are falling behind...

I would argue that English has nothing to do with medicine so it's pointless but it does show uni's that your interests extend that of the sciences
I do all the sciences + maths and have virtually no spare time when you factor in a part time job, charity committee, young enterprise, and debate club :tongue:
You'd have even less if you did English and not physics like I did haha
I want study medicine at uni but the only reason I'm doing physics is bc I love it. Just choose something you really love :smile:

It will all be worth it in the end and good luck with Young Enterprise
If you are:
How are you finding it? Do you regret choosing them? Do you find them stressful together? What are you planning to study?

If you're not:
Do you think that combination would just be too much? Why?

English lit really enjoyable if you like that sort of thing, ALOT MORE INDEPTH THAN GCSE.

Biology and Chemistry are equally hard, maths skills are a must. I would say maths and Chemistry is a better combination. As some things in biology is contradicted in Chemistry which can be confusing.

Otherwise its a interesting combination. Gives you a break from constant maths and sciency stuff :smile:
YES! I do those exact subjects. I know I'm very late to this thread but just incase it reincarnates-
I was going to chose psych instead of lit, however on a alevel subject taster day our school had I made a rash decision to try out english and ended up loving it.
I have to say choosing these 4 subjects was the best decision I ever made. Not that I don't have many moments of regret- sometimes I wish I had taken history, or did a language or done physics and further maths but thats only at times where I see my friends who do those subjects learning about something in their course which interests me.
To be honest, the workload didn't hit me till when I started revising for mocks, because before I was kind of trailing through the course and keeping up with class work. But revising it has been a pain- there is so much. That being said, it has also been really enjoyable. I love all 4 of these subjects- I like the problem solving aspects of maths and chemistry, analysing and researching texts in english and pretty much every single thing in biology,
But it kinda works out really well for me- Maths and chemistry don't take up much revision time because they aren't content heavy, as long as I keep practicing I survive them where as Biology and English are subjects which take hours and hours but don't really need much practicing the same thing repeatedly.
I'm hoping to do medicine at uni, so I'm not going to complain about the workload. I'm glad I picked subjects with a lot of work because it's making me ready for the earthquake that will hit me at uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ComputerMaths97
People are too nice, need to stop pretending to younger people that you can take whatever you want to take... you can't! You have to take into consideration how your subjects link and how they are going to show you as a competitive applicant. Not just do Drama cos you enjoy it, despite applying for Maths. Do useful subjects, that relate to your degree - and if you don't want to do them/ can't do them, then it's the wrong degree for you. This is more general advice than specific but stop being so nice with your advice guys, be more realistic.

So are you saying that at the age of 16, when people don't even have the right to vote they should decide one pathway for the rest of their life?

And it's not only about "enjoying it". Doing literature has had a huge benefit and helped me a lot with my science subjects, and vice versa. It was due to english lit that I read Darwin's theory of evolution. Also, the skills I'm gaining maths- for example logical thinking- are making it so much easier for me to form interlinks between texts in English and helping me understand the text more. More people need to start combining humanities with science, or atleast realise the impact they have on each other. For centuries science has been preserved within literature. Also, how can you be stupid enough to assume that the main skill gained in literature- isn't useful in science?
Original post by denaturedenzyme
I have literally never heard anything more stupid and ignorant in my life.

Quick Reply

Latest