The Student Room Group

How to revise for as biology edexcel nuffield salter

I just want to know how other are revising for this. I make notes on flash cards or make mind maps. But when I'm taking notes, I find my self copying pretty much the key parts in a paragraphs etc. Does that count as taking notes cause the textbook it self is written in simple English.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by (URIAH)
I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW OTHERS ARE REVISING FOR THIS. I make notes on flash cards or make mind maps. But when I'm taking notes, I find my self copying pretty much the key parts in a paragraphs etc. Does that count as taking notes cause the textbook it self is written in simple English.

I'm having the same problem too! Except I'm a mature student (22 years old) trying to teach myself the syllabus but can't tell whether I'm absorbing any of the information that I'm making notes on! Let me know if you come across any more efficient techniques of learning!
Original post by (URIAH)
I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW OTHERS ARE REVISING FOR THIS. I make notes on flash cards or make mind maps. But when I'm taking notes, I find my self copying pretty much the key parts in a paragraphs etc. Does that count as taking notes cause the textbook it self is written in simple English.

How's the studying going by the way? also is it biology A (salters nuffield) you're studying?
Reply 3
Original post by Philip-flop
How's the studying going by the way? also is it biology A (salters nuffield) you're studying?

I think so. The book we use is black with orange cells. It the third edition
Original post by (URIAH)
I think so. The book we use is black with orange cells. It the third edition

Yeah that's the one i'm studying from.
any chance we can kind of stay in touch over the course of this year? just where i'm teaching myself the syllabus i need someone i can track my own progress with. no worries if not
Reply 5
Yeah of course. I'd be glad to help
Original post by (URIAH)
Yeah of course. I'd be glad to help

Thanks alot!! Im just getting worried where im not doing the practicals for thiss subject but need to know about them as they can turn up in the paper exams. Have you done any practicals yet? Can I also ask what topics you have already covered in the syllabus?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks alot!! Im just getting worried where im not doing the practicals for thiss subject but need to know about them as they can turn up in the paper exams. Have you done any practicals yet? Can I also ask what topics you have already covered in the syllabus?

I have two teachers. One is teaching Genes and health and we've learnt up to 2.4 and the other is teaching the lifestyle, health and risk and we've learnt up to blood clotting. What about you?

We've done three practicals. One was the effect of caffeine on heart rate in Daphnia.
How enzyme substrate concentration effects initial rate of reaction
There was another one on beetroot and its cell membrane. I dont remember that was my first one. But if you search them up they will come up. How come you aren't doing any practicals?
I'm doing the same course. With my first teacher, we're on unit 1.3 and with our other teacher, we're on unit 2.3 so w're not doing too badly. I'm just wondering if anyone is reading ahead of what they're doing in class because I'm doing that right now and idk if it would be a good idea LOL
Reply 9
Original post by WhizzKidhehe:)
I'm doing the same course. With my first teacher, we're on unit 1.3 and with our other teacher, we're on unit 2.3 so w're not doing too badly. I'm just wondering if anyone is reading ahead of what they're doing in class because I'm doing that right now and idk if it would be a good idea LOL

Yh I've read ahead and finished topic 1 and 2 because my teachers are not the best. I don't want to keep catching up on homework every week when I need to focus on my other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hozo
Yh I've read ahead and finished topic 1 and 2 because my teachers are not the best. I don't want to keep catching up on homework every week when I need to focus on my other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one! how long did it take you to go through both Topic 1 and 2 on your own?
Also, I know this is a very odd question but.. where i'm teaching myself the syllabus I don't have access to the materials on Active Learn as Pearson only offer "school-sized" packages for it which costs £425, so if any of you are cool with sharing those resources with me i'd be very thankful! no worries if not though :smile:
Anyone know where to get exam style questions and answers besides the questions from the endorsed textbook and the 1 or 2 sample papers on the pearson website as I want to save them papers to practice just before the real exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Nice one! how long did it take you to go through both Topic 1 and 2 on your own?

Oh sorry didn't see you replied and well I count how many hours I study for each subject and it took like 18hrs in total but I'm quite slow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hozo
Oh sorry didn't see you replied and well I count how many hours I study for each subject and it took like 18hrs in total but I'm quite slow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one! That's not too slow tbh if you're managing to learn and take in what you've covered!!!
Can anyone explain to me the answer to Q3.5 on page 114 of the Pearson textbook? I'm really struggling to work it out :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending