The Student Room Group

Should Cannabis be legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemon Haze
The main reason cannabis should be made legal is for those who need it for its medical benefits more than anything else.

I have a childhood friend who's mother now has MS, we have to go through illegal and sometimes dangerous means to acquire high grade cannabis for her to use for things like tea's and creams which help her a lot. Someone like her should be able to go to her doctor and get legal cannabis with a high CBD% prescribed for medical use. Instead her husband is considering growing cannabis in the house which means at any point there could be a chance the poor ladies house could be raided by the police.

It's ridiculous.
True Lemon Haze that's why I went a bit short with Megadeath . I think some people are very ignorant in some cases , clearly has'nt had much experience with someone close to them that would benefit greatly from it being legalized . I'm sorry to hear of your friends circumstances , life can be so cruel and people can be so ignorant
missy
Original post by missyparsons
True Lemon Haze that's why I went a bit short with Megadeath . I think some people are very ignorant in some cases , clearly has'nt had much experience with someone close to them that would benefit greatly from it being legalized . I'm sorry to hear of your friends circumstances , life can be so cruel and people can be so ignorant
missy
Sad thing is it's just barley been introduced in this country as pain relief for cancer patients ( hemp ) but then they will not be perscribed any other pain relief its so sad
I'd actually quite like to hear people from the prohibition side of the debate explaining why they think it should remain illegal.

The health arguments against cannabis are exaggerated and could easily be used against other things which are legal, more harmful than cannabis, and widely accepted (widely accepted in this case meaning that few people want it banned), like alcohol, tobacco, fast food, and even processed meats.

Then you have the moralistic nanny state "we know what's best for you" attitudes which frankly are rage inducing, illiberal, and should not have any place in law at all.

I'm just wondering if there are any decent arguments for keeping it illegal that I've overlooked.
Original post by IBIB
Reading through the comments on here, people dont understand the really serious long term effects of ganja. The way to stop ganja use, is not to legalise. Some say its good for asthma, cancer, and tb. however medicinally ganja should go through all the same rigorous processes that all other medicines go through.

How do stop it then? Make it illegal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JD1lla
If you rolled up a joint and blazed it right now, you'd sit there for about 10 minutes and think, "....wow...what was the fuss about? This is illegal?!"

It's so stigmatized it's silly.

#or alternatively "...wow...why do people waste their money on this ****?"
Reply 105
Original post by Jammy Duel
#or alternatively "...wow...why do people waste their money on this ****?"

People waste their money on all sorts of things? Like gambling for example.
Original post by JD1lla
People waste their money on all sorts of things? Like gambling for example.

Your point being?
Reply 107
Original post by Jammy Duel
Your point being?

Well I was confused as to what your point was? are you saying weed is crap?
Original post by JD1lla
Well I was confused as to what your point was? are you saying weed is crap?

That is exactly the point, not that it is a reason to ban it, and I did slightly misinterpret the original post; although the exact same argument could be made for a lot of things, won't stop people saying it should be illegal.
Original post by DiddyDec
You don't have to smoke cannabis, there is a multitude of different ways of using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant to say "tobacco" instead of "smoking" but I couldn't remember what the word was.
Guess no ones heard of paranoia or toxic psychosis on this thread.

Nevermind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Cannibis is safer than bacon
Reply 112
That'swhen people abuse the substance, same as far people abuse food
Original post by saxsan4
That'swhen people abuse the substance, same as far people abuse food

Nope it can just happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by paul514
Nope it can just happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Incorrect and even then it's hardly a big deal
Original post by saxsan4
Incorrect and even then it's hardly a big deal

Might want to take some neurology modules at uni like I have before you make dumb comments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler
I'd actually quite like to hear people from the prohibition side of the debate explaining why they think it should remain illegal.

The health arguments against cannabis are exaggerated and could easily be used against other things which are legal, more harmful than cannabis, and widely accepted (widely accepted in this case meaning that few people want it banned), like alcohol, tobacco, fast food, and even processed meats.

Then you have the moralistic nanny state "we know what's best for you" attitudes which frankly are rage inducing, illiberal, and should not have any place in law at all.

I'm just wondering if there are any decent arguments for keeping it illegal that I've overlooked.

Why not legalise cocaine or ecstasy for example then, by that logic? Criminalising them is surely illiberal if we take that stance. I'm not even anti-cannabis, I'm just curious to see your response to this.

Legalising cannabis would be a huge boost for the economy if nothing else. Easy tax money and all, y'know.
Original post by Reluire
Why not legalise cocaine or ecstasy for example then, by that logic? Criminalising them is surely illiberal if we take that stance. I'm not even anti-cannabis, I'm just curious to see your response to this.

Why not indeed?
Original post by Reluire

Legalising cannabis would be a huge boost for the economy if nothing else. Easy tax money and all, y'know.

Cannabis is just the easier target for legalisation campaigns because its effects are minor compared to other drugs, so it's easier to sell the idea of legalisation to the public.

More harmful drugs might require different regulations to cannabis, but because a big part of my support for cannabis legalisation is personal liberty, I can't really complain about the use of those other drugs (in principle at least).
Original post by Reluire

Even the likes of coke and e are not incredibly harmful if controlled, it's control that's the problem. If people self educated themselves on dosage, side effects and what not to take with what, people would be a lot safer. That said, addiction is always gonna be an issue, regardless of how much you know.

My philosophy is don't blame the substance, blame the user. It's easy to blame things other than ourselves, but often it's us to blame. Knowledge and self control goes a long way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending