The Student Room Group

Sister- strange behaviour

Scroll to see replies

Make sure he does not do anything to her or make her feel uncomfortable
help your poor sister!!!!
Talk to her!!!
Wow, De Ja Vu...

Had a very, and I seriously mean identical issue with my Sister a year ago, turned out to be Sexual Abuse. Luckily It hadn't reached the rape stage as we caught it in time. She was demonstrating very similar characteristics as your Sister. Unfortunately she wouldn't open up and we had to turn to tough love, which IS NOT the ideal solution.

There is some great advice on this thread, I suggest you take it very seriously and seek further professional help.
Sounds like that your mums boyfriend has abused her

Like everyone else in this thread is saying....TALK TO/HELP her NOW!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you should talk to her and see why she is acting so.
It could be that your sister is worried that if your mum gets into a serious relationship, she will see it as a new life and her children will no longer be a priority/even be a hindrance to the 'fresh start'. I'm in no way saying your mum will do that, but unfortunately some parents do and the children can worry about that. Where's your father out of interest? Some background on that could lend a perspective.

Also what was your sister's behavior like around this man? Try talking to her. Although I don't want to jump straight onto it being down to abuse, that is also certainly a possibility. Signs that he was abusive include her being very disengaged around him, avoiding eye contact, perhaps being skittish or hiding in her room, as well of course being terrified of the possibility that he will come back.

Description of how she used to act will also help - has she been generally prone to upset and worry in the past, or more relaxed? Has she responded better to your mum's previous boyfriends if there have been any?
Hi guys, thank you all for the help 😌 I just wanted to clarify that my sister has never been alone with the boyfriend/ spent time with him without either me or my mum there. We still haven't got to the root of the problem, she's still not talking etc. but as I said, she's only met him twice and never been alone with him!
Original post by Lularose83
Hi guys, thank you all for the help 😌 I just wanted to clarify that my sister has never been alone with the boyfriend/ spent time with him without either me or my mum there. We still haven't got to the root of the problem, she's still not talking etc. but as I said, she's only met him twice and never been alone with him!

hmmmm, is he a complete stranger or has he been around before because maybe something went on in the past?

it's good that she hasn't been alone with him by herself. Do keep trying to make conversation, idk take her to Starbucks and get hot coco and chat or something. I don't know what else it could be. She clearly doesn't like him and you need to find out why.

In your original post you said she's being clingy to your mum but i think she just doesn't feel good about the boyfriend. Try and get your mum to talk to her if she's open minded and 'gets' you guys. Maybe she can comfort her and hug her and just give them two time alone to see if she opens up to your mum.

Who's the closest person to her in your family? maybe they can help get it out of her?
If she's never been alone with him, it could be a problem with a previous boyfriend.
Maybe she expects something bad to happen again? :dontknow:
Original post by dancing sloth
If she's never been alone with him, it could be a problem with a previous boyfriend.
Maybe she expects something bad to happen again? :dontknow:

This. This too
I'm not one of the experts here but maybe she is just on her periods :holmes:
Original post by Anonymous
hmmm maybe the boyfriend is hurting her? or making her feel uncomfortable or doing something she doesn't like and if your mum and him are broken up she wouldn't have to be near him but if they're together she'll be near him more often and that scares her?

ask her why she doesn't like him, if he makes her uncomfortable, if she thinks he's weird or creepy and get her to open up?

I didn't think of it like this but this is a very insightful post and maybe the best explanation.
As people have said maybe your sisters going through the same thing, ask her what her problem is (not in the rude sense)

Quick Reply

Latest